1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pumping during a long haul flight - tips needed

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by cj1980, Nov 22, 2012.

1. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I will be traveling to chennai next week with my 3 month old baby. I was EBF up until 2.5 months, after which I had to supplement with formula ( that's a different story for another day!).. Right now, I am pumping milk three times a day and giving it for 5 feeds while the remaining two feeds I supplement with formula. But, I am planning to carry ready to drink formula for the journey.

The question is...how do I pump during the long journey? I become engorged on my left breast if I don't pump for more than 6-7 hrs (the right can go without pumping for even 10 hrs because the supply is less on tht side). I have a single electric pump that can also be battery operated (haven't tried the battery though). There is a 4 hr stopover in London ...are there facilities to pump in private? I am cringing at the thought of pumping in the airplane's toilet and would like to avoid it at all costs! Any suggestions/tips will be appreciated.

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@cj I dont understand why you need to pump and store. Why not BF instead of giving formula? Are you thinking about it being embarassing?

3. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Oh sorry I forgot to add that bit! I cannot feed him directly because it hurts a lot...checked with the doc but they don't think it is thrush...even they don't understand why it happened after more than two months of problem-free feeding.

4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@cj Ask the airhostess to store the bottles in refrigerator when you are in the flight. Otherwise there are insulated bags available in stores.

Amazon.com: insulated bottle bag

Such bags come with an ice pack. So you can freeze the pack until you are ready to leave.

You might have to pump in flight toilet. So be prepared. Do try the pump with the battery before you leave.

5. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

Ramya, I just updated about my travel experience on the long airline travel with infants thread...thank you for all the helpful tips!

1 person likes this.
  6. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

There will definitely be a lactation room in London. European airports and Canadian airports do. I haven't seen one in the US. Be sure to carry a converter for the plug. Also, try a manual pump. They're cheap and you may be able to get away with pumping under a blanket or a nursing cover. Practise at home first.

7. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Yes dear there are feeding rooms in most of the airports these days.So dont worry you can go there and express.

8. cj1980

cj1980 Gold IL'ite

ladies, i had a problem-free travel where i pumped milk in my seat! i updated my experience on another thread mentioned above...now it is time for my return journey! i am no longer bf, but still anxious abt travelling alone with an 8-month old!