1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pujyasri Mahaswami Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Swamigal-37

Discussion in 'Posts in Regional Languages' started by PushpavalliSrinivasan, May 16, 2011.

1. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Great men's tributes to Paramacharya and Maha Periyava’s departure from this world

Episode 37

Once A.S Raman the editor of ‘Illustrated weekly’ came to Kanchi and he wanted to ask questions regarding Hinduism and its prevailing condition. He told paramacharya that at least he needed 45 minutes for the interview as he had many questions to ask.

Acharya told him to shoot out all the questions and he would give reply to all the questions. Raman read out all the questions and after listening to all the questions Achrya was keeping quiet for some time.

Suddenly his face became radiant and he started talking. He spoke nearly for four hours with clarity in a deep resonant voice. He gave reply to all the questions and Raman was glad and the interview was published for two weeks in IllustratedWeekly

Prathivathi Bayankaram Annangrachriyar, a great scholar in Sanskrit and Divya Prabandam was living in Kanchipuram. Though he was an Iyengar he had great proximity with Acharya Swamigal and had respect for him. He praised immensely Acharya’s efforts to honour the Vedic scholars with awards and for striving to propagate Hinduism and spiritualism.

Upanyasa Chakravarthi Sengalipuram Anantharama Dikshidhar also commented very highly about Acharya. He said, “I have not seen Adhi Sankara, but I believe that Paramacharya is the reincarnation of Adhi Sankara. He is the true personification of Yathi Dharma.”

Paramachrya did not create miracles. Perhaps he had the thapobal, but he never tried to exibit it. But many of his devotees had experienced it in their lives.

Once on a Friday after puja Acharya Swamigal was giving thirtha prasadam to devotees. There were many sumangalis standing to receive the thirtham from Acharya and one lady was standing with tear filled eyes, but did not move to receive the thitha prasadam.

Acharya beckoned her to come near and she was very much hesitating. Then Acharya asked her what was the matter. She told that her husband was working in the army and it was published in the newspapers that her husband had died in battle field. For more than six months she waited for confirmation. She cried uncontrollably and then said that she came to ask him how to perform the ceremonys for him.

Paramacharya looked at her with merciful eyes and then he gave her kumkum. He told her that her husband was alive and he would come back soon. The very next week he returned and the family came happily and paid their obeisance to Acharya.

Many foreigners from Western countries came to have his darshan. They all had praised him highly in their books. Paul Brunton had described Paramacharya in these words:

“The word spirituality is abstract and it is difficult to explain it. But we could visualise it in the face of Paramacharya, the Kanchi Mahan. He is spirituality personified and his eyes are emitting kindness and benevolence. I feel that I see the Lord Himself in his peaceful and benevolent eyes.”

In the year 1993 in the month of May Paramacharya’s sathabthi function was started. Ex-President R.Venkataraman, Prime Minister Narasimha Rao, chief ministers of many states and foreign diplomats participated in the function. The city of Kanchi and the Sankara Mutt was celebrating the Paramacharya’s sathabthi function in a grand manner.

Kanakbhishekam was performed to Paramacharya by Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal and vijayendra Swamigal amidst the reverbaration of Mangala Vadhyam,

Veda ghosham, and devotees chanting of “Jaya Jaya Sankara Hara Hara Sankara.”

Prasadams were brought from temples from all over the country for Paramacharya. After accepting all the honours graciously, Paramcharya raised his hands and blessed all the devotees.

The function continued for many days. All those days homams, Veda adhyayanam and bajans were conducted. Sri Haridas Swamigal performed pada puja to Paramacharya. Swami Dayananda Saraswathi, Swami Ganapathi Sachidananda, Swami Santhananda and many other Mutathipathis had received blessings from Paramacharya.

At Enathur near Kanchi a special programme was conducted under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narasimha Rao. A book titled “Jagam Pukazum Jagadguru” written by author Lakshmi Subramanyam, published by Vanathi Pathipagam and “Deivathin Kural” 6th part written by R.Ganapathi, and a casett ‘Chithiram” depicting Paramacharya’s Life history were released . The Prime Minister gave a speech in which he praised Acharya’s service to the nation in spiritual and social field.

The sathabhthi function was continuing in many parts of Tamilnadu as for the programme drawn by the Sathabhisheka committee. Spiritual conferences and social wefare schemes were organized by philanthrophists and devotees.

From the start of the year 1994 Paramacharya observed mauna vratham and kept his daily routine to the minimum. He had even stopped giving darshan to the devotees. He was doing manasika puja to Chandra Mauliswara.

On 8th January, that was Ekadasi thithi, and Anuradha star, his birth star, the great Maha Periyava’s soul departed in the afternoon around 3 p.m. Paramacharya had mingled with Parameswara. As soon as the news came out, the devotees through out the country had plunged in deep grief.

After giving a bath in sacred water brought from holy rivers his body was kept in the state of Samadhi. Devotees thronged to pay their homage to the great Acharya. There was no religious discrimination and people following different religions had paid homage.

As for the Acharya’s wish his Brindavan was erected in the mutt at the place where he used to give darshan to his devotees. His picture and the things he used were also kept for devotees’ darshan. Daily puja is conducted at his brindavan and hundreds of people who visit the brindavan pay their obeisance to Acharya.

Thus Vizupuram born Swaminathan, who was initiated as Kamakoti peetathipathi at the age of thirteen, had decorated the peetam for eighty seven long years. He was affectionately called “Maha Swamigal” and “Nadamadum Deivam” by his devotees. True to the tradition of the Peetam set by Adi Sankara, Mahaswamigal travelled throughout the country by foot or by the traditional palanquin. He never used modern transport.

He also stood by the national sentiments in discarding "foreign cloth" (He immersed them in water instead of setting fire) and started wearing Khadi. He set the trend to create Trusts for achieving the objectives of the Peetam. His foremost concern was preservation of the Vedas, tradition and dharma. He advocated simplicity, shunned pomp, ostentation and extravagance. His exposition of Vedanta, sastras and the dharmic duties attracted scholars and laymen alike, from far and wide, for it has always been rich in values and simple in understanding.

He had a quest for knowledge in all subjects. He was a great humorist and also a patient and compassionate listener to devotees’ grievances. Though he did not create miracles, his blessings and forevision saved devotees from mishaps.

In the month of May, on the day of Paramacharya’s 100th birthday at Kanchi mutt, under Sri R.Venkataraman’s chairmanship the sathabthi function was held. The chief minister of Assam Mr Saikiya attended the function with his wife. Many other dignitaries also participated in the celebration.

Sri Venkatarman gave the welcome speech in which he mentioned about Acharya’s invaluable contribution to society both in spirituality and day to day life. Sri C.Subramanyam ex Finance minister and President of Bhrathiya Vidya Bhavan, Governer of Maharashtra Sri Alexander and many others paid tribute to Maha Periyava.

Praying to Kanchi Kamakshi and Maha Periyava I conclude Maha Swamigal’s biography.

Hara Hara Sankara Jaya Jaya Sankara!

P.S. Please bear with me if there were any shortcomings and flaws in my narration. I thank all those who encouraged me with their feed backs and those who read it.

2. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mami,

First of all Please accept my sincere apologies for not writing back at all for the past few weeks. Things were just beyond my control.

I have come back here and see the curtains are falling over...That was a great tribute to Paramacharya. Learnt a lot from these gems...Mami...now waiting to read Ramana Maharishi.. Please do not disappoint us.

3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Lalitha,
    There is no need for you to apologize for not writing Fbs for some time. I can very well understand the problems of working people. Thanks for being here and posting your comments for the last episode.

I have to think about starting Ramana Maharishi. If once I start I have to continue and write till the end. It is quite time consuming to collect material from different sources.

As for my observation, People do not show as much interest in reading the biographies as much as they show for lighter subjects or articles.

Anyway I will think it over and take the decision after some time.
    Thanks once again for your support and encouragement,
    With love,
    PS

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Pusphavalli ma,
    I know I missed many episodes...but made it a point to read at least the last two episodes to go with the flow..but came to know that Maha Periyava's biography is over by this blog...
    It is a puniyam to read such biographies of great men and thank you for bringing it to us.

sriniketan

5. PushpavalliSrinivasan

Dear Sriniketan,
    You can read the unread episodes whenever you get time. Thank you for your support and encouraging fbs.
    Love,
    PS