Puja Format - Feedbacks here

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by AGR, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Lovely glimpse.

Dear Chitra,

Was pleased to see your pooja room. Now I feel that I have visited your home in spirit:) All the same, my eyes cannot notice the lotus flowers or the vethalai pakku that Ami mentions. Maybe I need new glasses?! I thought those white flowers were 'ganneru poolu', know only the telugu word!(white oleander). Also, I did notice the real green beetle leaves and bananas. Nevermind! I could smell the agarbattis though:)

PS: Was pleased to see that you too have my favorite Shirdi Swami in your poojai arai:)...ofcourse, among other things.

Love,
    Kamla

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vidya !

As usual sweet, encouraging words from you.
    Depending on the feedback, I plan to post more puja formats.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

3. Chitvish

Dear Kamla !

What Ami has talked about is the puja thali in
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1873&page=8&pp=10

I think you have missed the 2 photos posted there ! There I have kept real lotus & silver vethalai pakku.
    Both Shirdi & Sathya Sai are there. I believe in - one god, many rupams.
    I am chithra - daughter, wife, mother, sister, MIL, DIL, Chitvish etc !
    Let me not start off, now !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Yes, missed that...

Thanks Chitra for pointing out the picture. I got to see all the three that I had missed earlier. What pleasure!
    Right Chitvish, I get the message! In the end of it all, who can even 'see' His roopam? As long as our devotion is true, He is true:)
    Have a nice day.
    L, Kamla

5. malar

malar Bronze IL'ite

I guess this is the right place to ask...

Hello Mrs.Chitvish & other friends,

I see this thread being so much informative with different puja formats, things to be used in puja,etc. I am not equipped to do such rich pujas, though everyday I lit the kamakshi vilakku, agarbathi and chant simple slogams for few dieties.

Now, my question here is very basic. Greatly appreciate your recommendations...

I lit the Kamakshi vilakku with Gingelly oil & leave it lighted till it finishes by its own (vilakuu kuluruvadhu - is the term we use).

But my in-laws have a different practice. They consider vilakku finishing off by itself as not a good sign and after 20 to 30mins of lighting the vilakku & chanting the slogams, they put it off by pressing it with a pushpam. They term it as 'vilaku kulura veykaradhu'.

Being not used to this practice from childhood, I find this a little in-auspicious. Though I have seen in some temples in India, as well here, the gurukals show deepam to the dieties and then show it to us, after which they put it off.

Not sure which one is the right procedure. Those who have heard of this and know the reasons behind which is the right procedure, please do let me know.

Kind regards,
    Malar

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Vilakku kulira vaipadhu

Hi Malar,

Yes, this is a very useful thread thanks to the information/slokams and rare pooja formats given by Mrs Chithra.

I am sure Chitrama will give you a more appropriate answer based on proper references, but here is what I have seen in my house (i.e.my in-laws), my mother's house etc.

After lighting the vilakku with gingelly oil/ghee, we chant slokams, do naivedyam, then dab some newly boiled milk or sugar or honey on both sides of the vilakku flame. After about an hour, the vilakku is snuffed with milk, or kumkumam or a pushpam. At home, when we have religious functions, the Bruhaspati also will tell us to 'vilakku ittu niruthanam' or 'vilakkai malayera vidanam' meaning snuff the flame properly (with milk etc) before starting to eat.

Actually, in our houses it is considerd inauspiscious to let the flame burn itself out especially without oil or wick. In fact that burning smell is called 'padu thiri eriyarathu', is supposed to be bad for the house.

This is what we do as a rule. I read a similar version by HH The Sankaracharyar in Kamakoti as well.

I am sure different families have other traditions.

Regards
    Vidya

7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Pojai thattu and poojai arai

Dear Mrs C,
    How did I miss it. All the items look divine. Your pooja room' kanila othinduten'. I definitely will want to shop for those silver items that you have presented.These are some of the things that I miss living in India.

Now I have one question. I have just planted some roses in our garden. They should start blooming in a month or so. I plan to exclusively use one plant for pooja purposes. I am the one who takes care of watering the flowers in my house. When it is that time of the month since I use for God can I ask my hubby to water it and still use for God. Please clear my doubt.Thanks in advance.

Love,

8. Chitvish

Dear Anjana !

There is nothing wrong in watering the plant at " that time " !
    How do I know when my flower-vendor brings the flower, what her " state" is !
    " Rishi moolam Nadi moolam" - never probe.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Wise..

Dearest Chitra,

It is the wonderful advice that you impart that makes you so special. Thanks for guiding the younger lot with bhakti+common sense. It is high time we do away with some blind beliefs.

L, Kamla

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  10. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

thanga vilakku

Dear Mrs Chithra,

I will be grateful if you can clear this doubt. We get a nice gold vilakku (10 gms onwards) in Kerala which can be lit and left to burn for a couple of hours. But is it true that gold vilakku should not be lit at home? Can you clarify?

Thanks in advance.
    love & regards
    Vidya