1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Public show of affection

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pooja, Mar 19, 2006.

1. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

HI,

dear thanks. i totally agree with you

Alpa

2. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

I have never seen my parents even holding hands in their 36 years of marriage. My in-laws have been married for 41 years and I hardly ever see them even sitting side by side and relaxing.

My husband was very stand-offish and against hugging in public until I reminded him that we were in 21st century America where it's OK to display our affection for each other WITHIN certain limits. Hugging and even pecks on cheeks don't equal wild making out. He's FINALLY coming around.

And we argue openly in front of our daughter. I don't understand the logic or psychology about keeping your differences hidden from your children. Kids should know that marriage is not just about hugging, holding hands, kissing and "I love you"s. They should know that marriage is also about arguing, debating, disagreeing but never losing sight of the fact that at the end of the day, you are BOTH on the same team. So we argue in her presence (if she happens to be around) but we keep our tone respectful, non-aggressive and always hug each other at the end of the conversation to show her that no matter what differences of opinions we have, we still love each other and are one happy family.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  3. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

Dear All,

My dad everyday in the morning greets my mum at the breakfast table and tells her he loves her. They have a very great relationship they have their own way of showing their affection but not a day passes by when dad doesn't miss to tell her that how much he loves her.

it is very important to show your loved ones that you love them by showing a bit of affection by hugging them, kissing them or just hold their hands

hugs

Alpa:cheers

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Very interesting thread!

We've lived in the U.S. since we got married, and are very free in showing affection. Like holding hands, a hug, or hand on knee as we sit next to each other and the like, nothing too extreme. If it has been a long day for one of us, the other might give a quick massage or something. It comes naturally to us at home in front of kids, and also with friends around.

When we visit India or India visits us Big Laugh, then it is down to almost no affection. In fact, we don't even sit on the same sofa. That does put a strain on us, and by the end of the day, we are quite cranky... incidents or tiffs that would have been forgotten in an hour or so, stay on for days in our minds...

Just today, I tried out an elaborate seafood recipe, and it turned out real bad. Plus the whole house was stinking...:frown: I was so dejected. My DH just came to the sink, gave me a hug, and told me to go take a nap. He then cleaned up and ordered pizza :p Had we been in India or if parents/in-laws were visiting us, it would have been a totally different story..

I feel this aspect of Western culture or behavior is worth aping to an extent. In the beginning, I used to find it corny, but it actually does feel good to get the sudden hug or peck or just hold hands for no reason.

5. Chandramukhi

Chandramukhi Senior IL'ite

Nice thread.

When we are at my parents place my Sis and I always want to sit next to my Mum so we can cuddle her. She is always telling us, you both sit on top of me, please you two give me some spac, I can't breath!
    My nephew gets very jealous if I hug, cuddle, kiss my Mum he always gets on top of her to hug and kiss to make me jealous! It is soo cute to see it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  6. smitha123

smitha123 New IL'ite

Good thread.

I've always believed in public display of affection.

We were in USA for a few years. Those days me and hubby have always shown our affection in public. But back in India we don't show that much in public. Still holding hands and standing closer were always normal for us in India too.

But in front of parents and other relatives we always make sure that what ever we do is acceptable for them also.

We have only one son. so me and hubby have always shown our affection to son. My hubby used to hug and kiss our son. but as our son growing into his teens, he is not showing much affection to his dad nowadays. still he like hugging and cuddling with me. I'm more friendly with him. I always hug my son and tell him how much we love him. So he is very free with us and tell all his school stories. we know all his friends.

7. anupamaks

anupamaks New IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    A very interesting thread. I've got married recently and we were in India for the first 5 mnths after marriage and now in US from the past 6 mnths. PDA's are ok, the world is changing and getting modern day by day...but as many of you hav pointed out, there shud be a limit for PDA also. Like say, holding hands or standing close has become quite common these days. But some ppl kiss and smooch in public (not once, many times) and it really makes others feel so uncomfortable, dat too when Indians do it, which dey are actually not used to. Some ppl think that they have got the right to do all these when they go abroad , some do it just to seek attention from others. Showing off has become quite common these days (whether they are truly happy or not is secondary !! ;))..There should be some decency in public atleast for the educateds. We are not westerners though we stay in western countries. I think most of them (Indians) kiss or smooch in public just to show dat they r modern, they think show love and affection so openly!!I've seen in US ppl doin it so dramatically and i really get pissed of at times. Hugging is ok, but smooching and kissing for a long time, being very intimate physically etc...y is dat to be done in public???? Is being intimate the way of showing love?? We just blindly follow westerners...If you want to shower ur love, do it in d closed doors, anyways its ur hubby/bf...ull b seeing him at home, he'll b with u most of d time... I am not saying that i hate PDA....i also hold my hubby's hand all d time, sometimes give a peck on d cheek (quickly!!)...But we should also see our surroundings. Like many of you have said , there will be kids, aged ppl ... kids sholud also know what love is, what a bonding is etc etc..i agree with it. But kids should not become curious to know what smooching is, what sex is...atleast at that tender age.
    Forget abt teenagers, atleast let others try to be decent inspite of showing their indecent 'public displays' and name it as "affection"!!
    Let us try to protect our younger generation from westernization atleast till they grow up. They should be taught about love, care and affection in a good way.

8. CharanyaRam

CharanyaRam Bronze IL'ite

Hello All,

PDA is ok to certain extent, i belive just even pat, holding hand(not always at sometime), jst mere seeing eachother will show their love when it comes to hus/wife. As for me i expect these things from my DH but in contrary for my DH even touching let it be in the house when we are alone or with inlaws is a sin, earlier in the marrige, he just push me aside which I have got hurted. When i hold the hands outside tahts it! over he will simply say he dont like. Now, i stopped expecting from him so that atleaset i will not get hurted. For him physical is just insidee the BR which i totaly disagree.

i mean to say PDA is good but with such people around us in india, who even feel shy to hold the hans of their own wives, it will always have a bad impact. When it comes to kids who happend to just see too much of physical closenessi n public and if they come from a family like i mentioned, there are chances theat they can misunderstand their behaviour some kids will even start tryiong it at early ages.

9. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

well, i m not a 'touch' person. i m not into PDA's....with anyone...be it mom/dad/hubby/friends. though my bro is quite the 'touch' person and very demonstrative. so im comfortable only with him touching me in public. otherwise im not the kinda person who wud hold hands even while crossing the road. LOL!

10. vidhya81

vidhya81 Silver IL'ite

dear friends,

I beleive showing affection towards your spouse in public is no wrong. It infacts makes your love grow for each other. But now a days it has become a nuisance in public forums like face book to show fake signs of romance and self appreciation. This is done just to draw public notice.

If there is a true expression of love for each other, may it be in public or private it deserves to be accepted and appreciated by the society. But faking love and romance just for want of public attention is unwarranted.

Warm Regards
    Vidhya