1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Public Schools Or Private Schools in US

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by honeyj, Mar 10, 2008.

1. honeyj

honeyj Senior IL'ite

Hello all ladies

Can anybody share their views and suggestion ,experiences in Public school or Private school for your kids
    like what are the pros &cons in Private school & Public school.
    which is good school for kids public or private.

Thanks will wait for replys

Honeyj

2. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

HI Friends ,

iam also looking forward for some replies .I am too interested to to know.

Regards
    Mitra

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi there,

I think it totally depends on where you live in the US. California is amongst the worst with regards to the public school education standards. But having said that, there are good school districts to be found in many counties.
    Take our bay area for eg: Cupertino, Saratoga, evergreen, palo alto, Losaltos, etc... are good school districts. You would have to research into these and find out their rankings etc before you enroll.
    Typically public schools start with Kindergarten, so i do find that a lot of parents enroll their kids in Private school for preschool and PreK and then shift in kindergarten or first grade.

Pros and Cons of Private schools:
    Pros: I like the compulsory dress code, more discipline( in the sense that no toys, gadgets etc... are allowed) , i like the home work and the constant testing . The standard is quite high ( but from what i have seen, the public schools catch up in middle school).
    Cons: cost anywhere from 1000 to 2000 bucks a month depending on the school.

I don't know much about public schools since both my kids are in private. My school district is not good.

But all in all, if your kid is young( starting pre school), find a school where they will have fun and learn at the same time. Dont go for a school focused too much on academics at this stage.From personal experience, i find Montessori s the best.
    Hope this helps a little.

Vandhana

4. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I totally agree with vandhana..Some school districts r gud..U can choose public school after finding out the school's rating..But the curriculum part is not in par with montesorri school...If u put u'r child in public school u can enrol him in kumon for giving extra attn to math and english..
    I feel that montesorri school is far better cuz they give spl attn to each and every kid and shape up according to the abilities of a kid..But the disadv is the fees is higher..

Cheers
    ramya

5. honeyj

honeyj Senior IL'ite

Hello All

Thank you very much for reply.

take care

6. Mitra

Mitra Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Thank you ramya & vandana for sharing your views.Do you have any idea about Public schools in north jersey.

Regards
    Mitra

7. ramyanand

ramyanand Gold IL'ite

Hi mitra
    i have no idea abt public schools in NJ
    U can check this website..u can find out abt u'r neighbourhood schools by entering u'r address and even the ratings of the schools
    GreatSchools.net
    HTH
    Ramya

8. lavanyaravi

lavanyaravi New IL'ite

hi honeyj,
    u can search for good schools in schooldigger.com or greatschools.com.
    but,personally i feel be in a good school district near by.and instead of investing on just pvt schools u can train the child for gifted chilrdren programs and spend money on that which definitely give fruitful results for ur investments.
    thanks
    lavanya