Puberty function Invitation wordings

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by smiley29, Jun 6, 2013.

1. smiley29

smiley29 Silver IL'ite

My niece has attained puberty and my sister is looking out for a nice ,2 or 3 liners for the invitation.... could any of u suggest some lines...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Invitation can say "She's got the power" :)

2agrhs.jpg

On a more personal opinion note - I personally dislike such 'celebration' (Sorry! Did not mean to offend - pls. dont take it that way - I know some celebrate it, just a personal opinion)

minn1, smiley29, Swasha and 2 others like this.
  3. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes even I hate people celebrating this function. It is such an embarassing for the little girl.

I am extremely sorry if I have hurt your feeling.

In the olden days people had to celebrate this function so that they could tell the community that a girl is ready to get married. By celebrating this function they could convey this message to the public. But now a days you don't need it.

8 people like this.
  4. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Sorry op no offense but I just remembered how my sil informed about her dd 's puberty:)
    In north India especially Punjab we don't have any such functions and it is treated just a normal milestone in life. When my sil called us to invite for the function I was shocked!!! I could not understand the motive to telling the whole world about it! Adding to it she called my mom to inform about the function my mom could not understand :hide: . when I called my mom she asked when is m 's birthday:rotfl, she thought the whole celebration was for my sil's dd's birthday:thumbsup

As for you op, you can try the line , our precious little flower has blossemed!! This is what my sil used:)

5 people like this.
  5. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

cutemonster,
    Ugghhh! Thats so cheesy.
    Poor sil's dd.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Simley, you can say something like, "You are cordially invited for the saree ceremony of our daughter".

4 people like this.
  7. Rakhii

Ragini, Aruna, Cutemonster, out of curiosity, why exactly do you all think it’s embarrassing for a girl? I mean, it’s such a big milestone and if a family is celebrating it in the presence of friends and family, what’s there to be embarrassed about?

Puberty is celebrated to signify that the girl is now a woman and is ready for her spiritual and matured women role. It signifies that she is no longer a child and is to be treated with respect and as an adult.

Another thing is, this has been being celebrated all over the world for 100's of years now and in some cases, its celebrated as big as a wedding itself. Some of them are age specific and some of them are time specific but all of them signify the coming-of-age/puberty. Some of them are below, which are extremely popular and is celebrated almost like mini-wedding.

In North America: we call it Sweet 16
    Jewish: Mitzvah
    Latin America: Quinceanera
    India: Puberty
    England: Coming of Age
    France: Debutante

Al the girls I know, they actually LOVE this. Only, they don't want elders behaving like its something to be embarrassed about.

4 people like this.
  8. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

"Coming of Age" is a standard term used in Indian invitations as well. We used for one of our nieces function. It sounded apt, as we have an equivalent term in tamil as well.

Cheers,
    JM

2 people like this.
  9. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Rakhi,
    In fact my dh's niece was not at embarrassed about the whole thing:) she totally enjoyed the thing and all the attention she was getting with all those garlands around her neck and quite curious to know what all gifts she got:) I was more uncomfortable as all this was totally new for me. We in north don't do such things and no body celebrates that their girl child has attained puberty. may be is very common function in south so people don't find it strange.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rakhii

Ya, probably since you are not used to this, you felt a little awkward. Here in North America, sweet 16 is a big deal. As a matter of fact, they make it as big as a wedding :)
    My neighbor was showing her DD's pictures and I was thinking, "and I thought mine was grand"...lol

1 person likes this.