1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Psycology of Abusers/Manipulators

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Maddy2087, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Maddy2087

Maddy2087 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Friends,

I had written this in the domestic violence thread started by Anitap.I got few responses on this as few ladies could relate to it and it helped them to analyze their situation better. As this could have got overlooked by few i decided to post this as a new thread to help many woman understand and relate to their experiences. Hope you approve moderator:)

We might come across people who say why didn't you leave your husband in the first place when he raised his hands on you ? And the answer is "Its not that easy". An abusive person is like a parasite who first studies you more than yourself. He would ask you many questions and would also empathize on many occasions. These tricks of an abuser will make you confide in him and confess many things, but these confessions will always be targeted against you . An abuser very well knows to confuse you with series of sweet and rude cycle. At one point of time he may turn very violent and the other moment he many treat you like a princess. These erratic and irrational changes obfuscates the victim emotionally to take decisions. The first and the foremost shot of an abuser is on the self esteem and confidence of the victim.He will always break it . He studies his victims so well that he is very well educated with the psyche of his victim. The cycle continues and you are simply stuck in a catch 22 situation. For further help let me explain this to you with the help of a cycle know as the abuser's/manipulator's cycle :

1. He will look for incidents to threat/abuse/coerce the victim. This is the planning stage where the victim is very unaware of whats going in the abuser's mind.

2. He will execute his plan and this is accompanied with physical/mental/emotional and verbal assaults.

3. The abuser exhibits a sense of happiness as he achieves his goal to maintain fear and control on his victim.

4.Then comes the calm situation where the abuser apologizes for his act and states " Things will be different next time". He also trickles a sense of guilt in the victims mind for his act.

5.Here comes the honeymoon period where the abuser will do anything to make you happy . And i mean anything.

This is a very vicious cycle which can happen in a days/week or probably months time. This behavior destroys the self esteem of the victim to the core.You are nothing but a piece of log. He gradually executes his plans to cut the support system of the victim.Imagine where the victim will go ? It can happen to anybody from any class in the society. Woman in the poor income group seek financial security ,woman in the middle income group fear society,and woman in the upper income group seek emotional security. Its a bad bad world for woman . Sometimes i feel a woman should get hold of her emotions . We should learn to think more logically . Courage and bravery should be part of every girls basic upbringing. It is happening across the world to so many woman that it becomes unimaginable.I wish every woman to understand her worth and live life in her own terms and conditions.

With love,
    Maddy

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Maddy,

Very nicely written. Everyone has the right to pursue happiness in life and anything that prevents them from pursuing happiness, they should be ready to break the barriers. If someone needs to feel their life is worth living, they should keep their self esteem in tact. If someone needs to find happiness, they should be able to pursue it in spite of all obstacles. Manipulation has no place in a married life. It should be uprooted right at the inception. Control through fear is not an option, if someone is pursuing it, one should be courageous. You are right about some women in any status still are vulnerable and somehow become dependent on their respective spouse. No one person makes a society and similarly no one person will make a family. There should be diversity and difference of opinions but at the end, there has to be a decision for common good of everyone in the family.

Understanding each other does not mean surrendering to the will of the spouse.

Viswa

6 people like this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

You know what, sometimes I think we were raised with wrong values. I feel being proud, egoistic and conceited should be taught and treated as a virtue in women. Unless they are raised so, breaking them can be too easy. The belief that 'I'm the most precious, simply the best, a treasure worth fighting for life' should be so firmly instilled in the minds from the childhood, that by the time they reach adulthood, it should be absolutely unshakeable. (Its a challenge that they don't learn putting down others, at the same time.) Its important to love, respect and care for others, no doubt. But nothing and no-one should be considered more valuable than oneself. Any BS concept of tolerance or endurance should be left aside once and for all. Its high time glorifying someone who took abuse steadfastly, without resisting, must be thrashed out of the society.

15 people like this.
  4. Maddy2087

God has made us woman very emotional by nature and we tend to give importance to emotions more than practicality .Here is when the real problem arises and it blinds us of the reality. Media and modern world is giving a very flimsy picture about love . According to the world love is sacrifice but if taken into the account of practical world love is all about being oneself and being liked for the same. When there is no realization then where comes the question of love ? Husband beating wife to control her doesn't show his love for her but shows how low he values his wife. A person who really admires and loves you would never resort to battering .Battering or bullying is a red flag in any relationship to walk out. Love is a healer and people who confuse with cinematic love are perplexing themselves with the untrue and unachievable. A person who hits /controls and manipulates you doesn't respect you and is surviving just because of social,economic,sexual,mental pleasure.For them you are just an object of pleasure which can be accessed when needed. It becomes our prerogative to first introspect our value and purpose in life to overcome the abuses and battering.

8 people like this.
  5. Maddy2087

Yes these values should be instilled from the childhood. every girl should value herself and respect herself for what she is .

1 person likes this.
  6. shama146

shama146 Gold IL'ite

I have gone through this hell. whats worst is that, when we think of separations these men go to any instance to woo us back. when i had severed all ties with my husband, he behaved as if he was the most loving husband in this universe and will do anything for me and for our relation. this part is very confusing and we dumb wives fall into this trap. At times i even wonder whether he really loves me or what. But deep down in my mind i know he will revert to his original self. Can they really stop abusing? And can abusers love their wife? My mind keeps on oscillating.

1 person likes this.
  7. Maddy2087

Let me tell you the reality .. Abusers can never love . The best course is to leave them. The difficult part with abusers and psychopaths is that they don't surrender to medical intervention. They cannot accept their faults and they are real difficult nut to crack. Constant manipulation and strategic planning is part of their behavior.They tactfully confuse their partner with oscillating behavioral pattern.I personally feel every woman should not fall under the bait of emotional blackmail when she has somewhere developed a sense of reality about her partner. Apologies and revival of same behavioral pattern is something abuser/manipulator/psychopath is skilled with.This is an endless pit which pulls you to nadir.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    4 people like this.
  8. lucky22

lucky22 Gold IL'ite

Oh my God Maddy, you have put together the series of things that happens in an abusive relationship. I dont know how i missed this thread but this is really a good one. I have gone through this cycle number of times in the two and half years of relationship with my H but never realized this happened again and again until i stumbled across this thread. What an eye opener, a must read for everyone who is/was in an abusive relationship.

2 people like this.
  9. desilady13

desilady13 Silver IL'ite

Hey Maddy, you nailed it to the core. I think signs like - beating, any form of physical abuse immediately stand out (yet many woman I personally know such as my own cousins are unable to walk out due to lack of education, family support, society fears and financial insecurity).

However, next comes emotional abuse - extreme control over the spouse, lack of faith or trust on the partner (can be a man or women) - Identifying emotional abuse is sometimes the biggest trick and just as you ladies mentioned above - when the partner talks about love, and how much he is crazy about you blah blah, you really think from your heart (and I believe most women do) and hence keeps giving more and more chances and trials etc...you never know whats enough and when you should draw the line. However, I am not exactly sure if it should all come from parenting itself for our future generations. No doubt, installing values and traditionalism is important, but I have seen (from personal experiences and from certain friend's examples) even NRI parents want their kids to get married to Indian grown girl/boy hoping that would keep their roots and family traditions intact...(I grew up in India until I was 17 years, and have been living out since then as family immigrated etc, however parents still wanted an arranged marriage for me, and since I was always the obedient type, and didn't have a bf at that time to refute, I did get married to a person of parent's choice).

Anyway, one more thing to add is the 'self guilt' aspect, by making you feel wrong, and wonder if you are infact the crazy one (one who always fights). See this link Domestic Violence and Abuse: Signs of Abuse and Abusive Relationships. Doesn't have to be every single thing mentioned in here, but many important aspects in an emotional abusive relationship can be found here...

Something else to add as an example - I was a very confident, stubborn to an extent, highly educated person always until I got married...I really don't know when I changed to become what I am now (lack of faith in myself, sometimes guilty that I am responsible for everything, lack of confidence). So as Maddy mentioned initially and just as my husband had put it once - "I have studied you very well", your abuser knows you to an extent where he can change your complete belief system (what you believe in etc).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    4 people like this.
  10. Maddy2087

Try and STOP the cycle now if its happening :)