Providing Help With Software Career

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by softwaregal, Jul 12, 2013.

1. softwaregal

softwaregal New IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

I am a Senior Project Manager working in silicon valley with 15+ years experience in software industry. In my career, I have managed projects costing millions of dollars involving

Development team
    QA team
    Tech ops team
    Infrastructure team
    Implementation team
    Business team
    Product team
    Risk and Security team
    Architecture team
    PMO team
    Sourcing and legal team

I am experienced in the entire Software lifecycle, hiring candidates, training and the whole 9 yards. I want to help people who are trying to get job, start career, switch career, interview tips, resume building etc. You can use this forum to reach me.

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Thanks on the set for posting this message
    My son has done his Masters in software engineering and has almost got 5 years experience.
    He wants to change his job now.
    Shall send his details so that you can advise him?

3. softwaregal

softwaregal New IL'ite

AS a PM, when I look through resumes ,I always look for certifications to weed out fake resumes (which is hard to do), going with certification is the best. So ask your son to do relevant certifications in his field.

Another important thing is when applying to jobs, always make sure its tweaked according to the job description, because hiring managers always look for people who fit the JD, even if the candidate is Harvard educated and has years of exp it doesnt matter, when one doesnt fit the profile, they are out.

4. Sujasuresh123

Sujasuresh123 New IL'ite

Hi
    I am an M.C.A graduate and at present a housewife and nil experience as in my place I get no chance for my exposure.Please help me to start my career successfully in which I promise u that I will be an outstanding calibre candidate.please pm the details

5. maddy25

maddy25 New IL'ite

Hi,

I recently moved to USA with Indian degree and Indian Experience (3.5 years) . I started looking for jobs here but its getting difficult to find without a degree and experience here. I am working with a indian consultancy who are currently marketing my resume . However no job till now.. I dnt have any contract with them and contract will start only when I find the project. I am looking in software testing field.. Please suggest me something. I cannot do Masters till I get some job due to finance constraints.. Will get basic ISTQB certification for foundation level help me in getting few jobs.. I need some guidance from you. I have done engineering in india and got my transcripts evaluated here and got 3.4 GPA. Please suggest me wat I should do.

6. softwaregal

softwaregal New IL'ite

Hi,
    I know many of my friends who started their career after a gap. My first suggestion is taking a course to jump start your career and completing a basic certification to valid it. I would suggest Manual QA tester, Business Analyst, Technical analyst or technical writer. These positions are not expected to write code and are very interesting and easy to pick up.

I dont know where you live, enrol in a course and learn the basic concepts. Then finish a certification and then try to get in as junior level or if you feel very confident you can pad your resume with fake experience and skip the junior level.

7. softwaregal

softwaregal New IL'ite

Hi
    Dont worry about having Indian degree and Indian experience. Its got lot of weightage. Which stage in the interivew process are you getting at...
    HR level
    HR manager level
    Hiring manager phone level (Dev or QA maanger)
    In person level.

???

8. maddy25

maddy25 New IL'ite

Hi Software Regal,

When I am applying for jobs through consultancies, my resume is being rejected by client hr.. I am planning to get testing foundation certification. Also, hr asks for US experience and when I say I dnt have US experience then they say they are looking for candidates with US experience

9. softwaregal

softwaregal New IL'ite

Hi Maddy,
    I would say the consulting company is not marketing you well. When consulting company has a good relationship with the client, they will atleast agree to call and talk to know the candidate experience and skills. When I hire, I always ask deep technical questions (fundamental and highly complicated concepts) to gauge the knowledge no matter where the experience is.

Also try to make sure your recent project is in sync with the job description and you have familiarity with the tools and software client needs.

10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Softwaregal

Thanks for taking the initiative to help us out. I am a chartered accountant from India on H4 visa. You have suggested about taking a course and certification for positions such as business analyst. Can you elaborate please? What kind of course does one need to take?

Do you do the course in community college? Whats it usually called as?

What kind of time-frame does it take usually to complete the course?

Most importantly what does a business analyst do? I know the basic idea - he talks to the client and the technical team or is it more? What kind of skillset does the role need?

Which institute offers the certification?

I am a newbie to the software industry, hence multiple questions. Will be grateful if you would guide me on this.

Thanks much.