1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Proud Parenting Moment

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by SGBV, Oct 21, 2018.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

An incident at my little girl's pre school, made her teacher to make an effort to appreciate my parenting, which made my day.

I am one of those lucky at the same time unluckiest parent, who gets everything under the sun by my achievements, but not the simple happiness of staying with family all the days (like all the other woman).
    This often makes me worry with uncertainties whether I am doing the right thing or not as a parent. And this conflict between my heart and brain will never stop!
    So, this kind of rare appreciations make me feel special.....

On the event of annual concert at her pre school, the children are being trained on various events.
    My little girl has also been part of different events like music, drama and dance.

Last week, she was down with viral flu and could not participate in any of the practice session due to it.
    When she returned to School this week, she felt odd and ignored as her peers have learned so many new steps and techniques, which she was unaware of.

After the first practice period, her dance coach got irritated for the fact that my girl wasn't performing well. So, she screamed her name, and asked her to concentrate, which obviously would have hurt my little child.

In return, unlike other kids, she did not cry, but went to the front and asked the teacher boldly, "how does she expect a sick girl, who was absent the whole week to learn everything that others have learnt over the past week, within 1 day"?
    To which the new coach asked her to concentrate without talking back, so that she could learn something, else she would throw her out from the dance team.
    But my girl was very confident even at that time to ask the teacher to try different methods and extra coaching if she wants her to stay in the dance group, else she is perfectly fine to leave.

Fortunately, the School principal was there, witnessing everything. She approached my girl's class teacher to know who she is, and appreciated the girl for being so confident without giving in to pressure.
    The principal apparently warned the new dance coach to behave herself before children, as they need different techniques and approaches unlike adults.

And on the next morning, she appreciated my little girl at the Assembly for standing up for herself, howsoever the issue was simple, it was important that you believe in yourself without giving into others comments.

My girl is just 5 years old, but I am very happy that I am raising a very strong and confident young lady....

It is so important to believe in yourself, and stand by it. The world will never accept you or appreciate you, rather they will have something or the other to find fault at you. But that shouldn't stop you from going.

You are very special... If the world needs you, they should come, look for you. If not, you will find your place somewhere else. You don't have to bend over backward to please everyone for your place.
    And you don't have to take abuse from anyone, even if they have any higher capacity like parents, spouse or teacher.

I am glad that my DD learnt all this without me even teaching her all this.

In fact, a good parenting is not spending your whole time, sacrificing your personal life for the kids. But it is to show them an example of how to face life by living it.

2. VandhenaKrish

VandhenaKrish Silver IL'ite

Hey excellent, kudos to ur brought up !!! And congrats to the lil girl

3. Lakshmikishore

Lakshmikishore Silver IL'ite

God bless the little one...

4. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Reading this got a smile on my face :) God bless your family!

5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much everyone.
    And a special thanks to vijima for nominating this thread.

My girl performed so well in her concert, which I could watch through FB Live and enjoy from miles away.

iyerviji likes this.
  6. Itsmylife143

Itsmylife143 Platinum IL'ite

Wow!! Congrats, Lovely Post, Thank you for sharing!! God Bless her.

SGBV likes this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Congrats to your daughter

SGBV likes this.
  8. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

What a spunky little girl @SGBV !

The principal is also a good, not many like it when children question authority , and she went on to encourage her , I like her principles :)

A child may not do what you tell them to do, but they are sure likely to do what they watch you do.
    You sure are a good role model for your kids!

Sinant likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Observe and Absorb as i always state in this forums.. well done kiddo..

and good to know of a principal who listens, with bother her mind and emotions.. rare in many places..

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Kudos to the little one, SGBV. Not many kids will be so brave. Some won't even have guts to ask class teacher for sharpener to sharpen horribly blunt pencil and continue to strain the fingers flexing the pencil round and round so it writes at least something. The specificity in the just-ask-teacher-for-sharpener description is not accidental.

However, along with appreciation, she could benefit from a few pointers on navigating similar waters in the future.
    The dance coach was obviously clueless in how to get five year old's to remain happily engaged in the performance. But one does not have always have the luxury of such an 'am fine to leave' approach. As children grow older and start to advocate even more for themselves, a slightly different response can help, esp. if the stakes are higher such as an activity or class the child badly wants to continue. When faced with such irate teacher, acknowledge poor performance, say tried to catch up, and ask if teacher can give extra coaching.

Dance is an activity that is optional. In a regular subject's class, student telling teacher to "try different methods" is not a good idea.

All this happened before your child? That is not good handling by the principal. Reprimanding the teacher or coach should not happen in front of student(s).

This is bordering on weird. Unless it was a very serious offence that is public knowledge, a matter involving a student and teacher should ideally remain as private as possible. Bringing it up before the school assembly doesn't help anyone. The dance coach loses face publicly, other teachers wonder if they will face such public shaming if they ever make a mistake, and most disturbing is that it can unfairly stereotype the little child among the staff as a trouble-maker.

Teachers discuss such things in staff rooms. As the child goes into upper grades, teachers have a lot of say and discretion in selecting them for activities, competitions and nominations. No need to suck up to teachers, but also no need to have a bad reputation precede oneself.

True all that. But, a little tact when standing up for oneself is also a skill worth mastering.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Amulet, satchitananda and SunPa like this.