1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prostitutes, mental health, in laws, love marriage

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Luckystar, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Luckystar

Luckystar New IL'ite

I need advice please.

Eleven months ago my husband spent time in a mental hospital after having a psychotic episode and stayed there for one month. He is now stable with medication. I knew he had an episode once as a teenager but never as an adult.

In hospital he confessed that he had been using prostitutes for close to 20 years including during our marriage and relationship. He is seeing a therapist for s3x addiction. He said he wanted to stop using prostitutes when we got married but he couldn't stop.

We have been in a relationship for eight years, married for five. I have a 12 year old son from a previous relationship. I was quite innocent and the father of my child promised to marry me but then left the country. My husband and I had a love marriage and we have known each other since childhood.

I am writing because of his parents. When it all came out that he had been using prostitutes I told him to leave. My father in law said i should go back to my parents house ( in a different city).

(I have a marketing degree but in this country I work in a supermarket in a lowly job.)

His mother then came to our house to pray with me and told me to forgive my husband. I wrote my in laws both a letter saying 'Why should my son be uprooted from his school and friends and clubs because of your son's behaviour. I wrote that the problem was a serious one and you can't just tell me to forgive - your son is the problem, not me.

Since then they have not spoken to me and banned me from their house. they want me to apologise for being disrespectful to them. My father in. Law said in our culture a man never is forced from his home by a woman.

I broke my arm in a car crash four months ago and even then they did not text or call and his older sister only sent a Facebook message.

I told my husband I will apologise if they want but it will be lip service as i now have no respect for either of them.

We are all in the UK. We both speak only English and even the in laws have lived here more than fifty years. They also had a love marriage.

In childhood my husbands face was disfigured in an accident and that's part of what led to his lack of confidence with women and using prostitutes .

My father in law has also said though that as long as he does not get caught a man sometimes needs to play away. Growing up he never expressed this attitude to my husband though and it only came up when he found out what he had done/ been doing.

Father in law says I have upset my mother in law and she is now always crying.

He is the one who has destroyed the family and they are angry about a letter.

2. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

His parents are protecting him from having responsibility for his actions.

They probably never taught him self control, hense his "inability" to resist prostitutes.

And the environment he was raised in would have been so toxic to send anyone to mental hospital

They are blaming you because
    - you are female
    - you have lowly job
    - because they can

There is no need for you to apologize.

Do not apologize

If you love your husband, if you are in love with your husband, if you know you will miss your husband if he is away, then all you can do is pray to God.

As you pray, you get answers in drops. And these answers lead to more questions that you pray about, and post here on IL.

I am sorry about your accident, and your husbands accident. I pray for you both. But it looks as if the parents are to blame for his poor behavior.

If you wish to get away from your husband, then pray for that.

But whether you love or hate your husband, pray that God makes him a better human being. After all, you did love him at some point.

{{{{hugs}}}}

3. Luckystar

Luckystar New IL'ite

Thank you for your encouragement Chennaiexpress. It has brought tears to my eyes.

I no longer love my husband but I can't divorce for the following reasons
    • my son sees him as a father and this would break his heart.
    • I have already had a child with one man. If I divorce this one I will be alone forever. No one respectable will want to be with me.
    • Also I don't want to bring more shame to my parents. I know I did not do wrong but you know how the community will gossip if I divorce.

It is really painful that they were not even concerned that I could have died in the accident.

They were not happy that I had a child. however they knew that their son was already at an advanced age without being married because of the damage on his face and might not find someone willing to marry.

4. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

Op i though divorce in uk are common?Is this shame after divorce thing still common there in indian community?Thats shocking

Op how old are you?Do you think you can do any course which can help you to improve your income.I see main hurdle in divorce is your income and your sons attachment with his father.

Does your son know whats happening in house?

1 person likes this.
  5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

most of the times I don't understand stuff.

You known this man from past years and you don't know his addiction and how come suddenly his parents are responsible for him?

it's completly your decision to stay with him or not but why blame his parents in between all these.As a wife you were not able to see his issue from past 13years and how come parents would know all these things.

the issue is between you and your husbnad and how you wanted to deal with it but not your in-laws.So don't make things confusing and trying to blame and find solution somewhere.

Either you suck it up and give support to your husband to go through therapy and see how he does but don't bring in-laws into this.You can ask for support but not to blame them.

1 person likes this.
  6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Your husbands parents are not part of the mess, keep them outside. Work on your relationship, if you think you cannot forgive then better to divorce. But your husband is at least trying to get help to his problems so maybe you could take a break and see if you are able to overcome his issues.

7. Luckystar

Luckystar New IL'ite

@lamagoodgirl

I already have a masters degree but have applied for hundreds of jobs and got only one interview - there is a lot of competition. the cost of living is so high it is difficult to make ends meet as a single person and yes the attachment of the child is one important factor in staying.

8. Luckystar

Luckystar New IL'ite

@Priya
    My post may not have been clear. I am not blaming my in laws for my husbands condition.

My husband told my in laws and also about the prostitutes.

Because of his crazy state the social worker said he must not be in the house with a child until he is normal.

My in laws then said I and my child should be the ones to leave and go back to my parents in another city. I said I will not go.

His mother said I should forgive. I said it is not easy to forgive something like that.

My husband and I are living together now as a nuclear family.

The problem is that my inlaws have banned ME from their house and are not speaking to me. They say I was rude to them by writing a letter saying I will not go. They want me to apologise.

I do not think I was rude at all. I am asking you my sisters and co sisters for advice.

9. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

For any reason, it is always , wife has to leave her house and everything and have go to some other place, why can't they keep their son when the treatment was going on.

OP, you are doing great help by supporting him in his treatment with mental health issues and sex addiction. You said u don't want to divorce, so see after treatment how he will be.

for now ignore about in-laws comments and ignore them, you have so much to handle,

10. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

LuckyStar,

now it's very clear and thanks for the clarification.

Now I can see they don't want to chip-in.

What are the options you have on table?Can you able to keep your husband in some facility and you and your son can stay in the house?

I'm sure you are not going to go your home town leaving everything here.How about finances?Can you able to manage with this situation.

The most important thing is money,If you have money probabaly you may able to do some arrangements.

I'm sure you don't love your husband but how about as a human being.Would you like to help to survive this crisis for him and you want be there for him and support him?

Don't worry about future and just think about today and see how you can your kid can survive and do you want to help your husband?Those are the main things for now.

I believe for time being it's not about who is forgiving whom. It's all about managing this crisis and come out .

1 person likes this.