1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prospective Groom is saying my dad has final responsibility before kanyaadaan

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by payalarora, Aug 1, 2013.

1. payalarora

payalarora Senior IL'ite

Hello Girls,

I am 29 year old teacher. I have got an alliance from one prospective groom. He is 31, did his masters and working as an analyst in good MNC company. The salary is decent. It is neither too high nor too low. The groom is very nice, good looking and soft spoken. He has showed us all his certificates and is honest and genuine. The family also owns their own large house. We have visited their house. What i like him is he is emotionally very mature.

He clearly told my dad in the one of meetings that after marriage if he asks even one rupee, you can put a dowry harassment case against him and put him in jail. He told my dad you have a final responsibility and a girl will not inherit your property and income, so you do have to discuss budget with me.

He has asked for fixed deposit, some cash and a decent marriage function. What ever he has asked, my dad can afford. Girls, please tell what to do?

When i think clearly, then my heart says prospective groom is right. I have one younger brother who is 24 and he will inherit my father business, property and everything else. I will not be given anything and i want good future for my husband and children.

But then my head says well the groom is obviously demanding. However he does not sound greedy. He wants to make sure my dad does not exceed his budget and he has a firm belief a girl dad has a final responsibility and should help newly married couple.

2. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

In whose name will those 'gifts' be? Yours, his or both?

2 people like this.
  3. RiyaB

RiyaB Silver IL'ite

ahh that's a fancy word for dowry :thumbsdown:thumbsdown

If he is unable to secure the funds needed to set up a new home maybe he should not think of marriage now.
    Sorry payalarora but I think this guy is not going to stop with just one demand.

14 people like this.
  4. Hyral

Hyral Gold IL'ite

This ponders me....why he is even expecting this...that upto father what to give and what to not...what if ur father has not kept any FD i know ur father must definetly have kept FD for u but...just ask him wht if its not done by him? whatever doubts u have clear it out with him...meet him personally just 2 of u and discuss it out...coz asking him now is better than repenting later...it shouldnt happen that tomrw he comes and tells u...ur father should have done this and that....etc also it shouldnt be that....though i said....to ur dad that I dnt expect any penny from him...but he should still give u some share in property etc...and see...thats again on father...u r child of ur parents like ur bro so if ever ur father wishes to even give u share from his property nothing wrong in that...

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Something sounds wrong with this. Firstly factually - why should you not inherit your father's property and income? If your father has ancestral property, you have equal share in it as any of your other siblings. If your father has property he has earned himself, it is upto him to decide what to give you or what not to give.

Why should your father discuss the budget with the prospective snil? It is an indirect way of demanding. A truly decent guy would not talk of money at all. In any case your parents would be getting you married and giving you whatever what they want to give you. Why should he demand a say in the matter? It should entirely upto the discretion of your parents. No parent is going to send their daughter off empty handed.

17 people like this.
  6. payalarora

payalarora Senior IL'ite

I will not get a penny in my father property and income. My brother and his wife when ever she comes wont allow. My dad will no go against his son- well son will take care of dad. In majority of households, it will never happen girls will get share. Once we are bid goodbye, they are all going to be busy with their own life.

The prospective groom asked my dad his budget. My dad intentionally told him a low budget. He replied back in a calm tone budget is low. It is simply a negotiation going on and you know my dad is also playing games to try to save as much money as possible.

A year back, one good alliance also said yes and they were demanding 2 times more then this prospective groom is demanding. Obviously that amount we could not afford and talks failed.

7. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Payal,

Reading your second reply, I feel that you have already made up your mind about this guy and you do want to go ahead with this proposal. Dowry in some form or the other is present in arranged marriages, in the form of gold, expenses,buying household stuff etc.

If you think every other parameter is ok with this guy, then do go ahead and have a great life.. All the best!!

4 people like this.
  8. payalarora

payalarora Senior IL'ite

This is a good question. It will give more clarity:

1) Fixed Deposit-Only on my name. He himself said not even joint name. It will be totally on my name. However he clearly said the interest income will be used for household expenses. So principal remains intact, but he will get interest income which will be used for managing our expenses + his contribution from his salary.

2) Cash: That will be given to him only

3) Decent marriage function: He himself said no other functions like no ring ceremony, Sagan, mehendi as he wants to make sure budget does not exceed. All other functions at home.

He says budget and expenses are very important part of marriage and all misunderstanding comes from those things. Se he wants to discuss it clearly.

My dad kept mum and did not utter a word and finally the prospective groom asked us about our budget and marriage plans.

9. rmpriya

rmpriya IL Hall of Fame

What the term "budget" means here ?

Wats the difference ?

Good He is not asking for Recurring deposits , sweep in deposits . :rotfl

2 people like this.
  10. payalarora

payalarora Senior IL'ite

Very relieving to read your reply. Yes i am very interested in this groom. I will not get a better groom then this one.

But here is what my dad is thinking. He didn't told me but i know my dad and discussed with my mom. Dad is now keeping this groom pending and he is searching another one so that he gets another groom whose demands are less and he can save money !!!

I am discriminated here in my own family, god knows what will happen at ILs house :(

Please can you tell me are negotiations part of every arranged marriage?

1 person likes this.