1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Profundity is the name of the game!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniyasir,

And in the spirit of this discussion that has so digressed from Profundity, may I beging by saying sorry. I am feeling sorry for many things.

Number of replies in an indicative indicator only when we deem it to be. In Finest Posts, we go strictly by the rule that a post is not fine just because it has more replies or views. We have stated this many times.

But when anyone sets yardsticks by the number of replies, then the quantitative factor comes into play regardless of whether it is between a few or many. This is what I meant.

I personally do not want this discussion to continue here anymore since it is diluting your posts and replies to the lead post.

regards
    Vidya

2. indhusri

indhusri Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir ,
    U’ve given nice tips for enhancing the image of mandus like me – thanks a ton , sir ! You are clever enough to find out that we( mandus ) are capable of asking questions only ( as Nagesh would say in ‘ Thiruvilayaadal ‘ – “naane kelvikekkaren …yennaa enakku kekkamattumdhaan theriyum “! )
    We suffer a lot due to frequent power- shutdowns for the past 10 days (Its a relief that they do it only at particular timings ) . Sometimes when the power doesn’t go off at the allotted time we say “ why is it not gone yet ? “ instead of saying “ thank God .. it has not gone ! “ . Doesn’t it sound funny ? ! ?

I would like to share one joke with you here ( I don’t know how far it is relevant to this topic . If it is not so don’t blame me please ! poor me ! )
    A man , living in an apartment used to come home very late at night ( around 3 ) .As soon as he enters into his flat , .he throws away his shoes one by one almost hitting the wall , thereby making a lot of noice . Another tenant who resides just below his flat was terribly disturbed . This continued to happen regularly . At one stage the groundfloor tenant was furious and used harsh words at him when he happened to meet him the next morning . That night the person came late as usual . Entering his flat he removed his right shoe and threw it at the wall making a big noice . Suddenly he remembered the harsh words of his neighbour and gently removed his left shoe , kept it softly on the shoe rack and went to sleep . The gfloor tenant was waiting and waitng & shouted at last : “ YOU IDIOT …. THROW <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>UR</st1:place></st1:City> OTHER SHOE TOO ….. I NEED TO SLEEP ….”
    With regards ,
    Indhu .

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Indhu
    I guess that saying 'Why it is not gone yet?' literally means 'Thank God it is not gone!' Sometimes when an expected bad thing doesn't happen, we show our relief by such questions! If you tell someone that he has won a crore of rupees in a lottery, his reaction would definitely be 'You mean me?' (Enakka?) and it will never be Thank God, I won the lottery at last. And both reactions amount to the same!

I can visualise the agitation that the neighbour would have experienced when he did not hear the other shoe being dropped. I would have done the same thing!
    Sri

4. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Indhu and Cheeniya,

I had this nasty experience of this Someone coming as late as 2 pm in the night , in one of my previous apartments. The same thing happened.....i would get so annoyed every night that i lost a lot of sleep and was getting hysterical. I would wait for all the rituals he seemed to be doing in the middle of the night, like bathing, washing , cleaning the floor etc.....by the time it was peace it was morning! Was i happy that i vacated that house.....heard he was in night shift and many comlained also! It is HORRIBLE i must say!
    Just was reminded of THOSE SLEEPLESS nights! Worse was that both my daughter aand hubby dear were NOT IN THE LEAST DISTURBED and that made it worse....so i would wake him up too so that he listened to it and it was not my imagination! That got on his nerves of course...ha ha!:queen

5. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    I am happy to note that you belong to the elite and honourable group who believe in 'Yaam petra peru, peruga ivvaiyagam!' ( All the good things that I get, may the World get too!) All those unnerving nocturnal noises are something that you hardly get these days and how generous of you to have shared them with your hubby!
    Sri

6. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Dear Sri,

I can sense your sarcasm in the questions grouped as profund... I for one think that if there are no audience then the performers cease to exist. So if you don't look astounded in the so called profound questions which could just be a waste of your energy then perhaps such people will not bother you and you will not have to falsely look smarter... you can just be who you are - smart in your own way without any pretense.

On another note, there is perfectly good scientific explanation to your friend's question about food and insomnia - its not really a smartness demanding question, you just need to know some physiology to answer it.

-L.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    You seem to be a follower of the Berkleyan concept that things do not exist unless they have an observer. I have always found this to be an interesting concept to contemplate. You are right about the satire part of it but I have always willingly allowed myself to play the role of interested spectator!
    Sri

8. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir,
    That was a good one......and yes, the body language and tone.....they make the question more profound....I have experienced this in many of my classes....where a very elementary concept would be placed on a tall pedestal by the body language and tone and a myriad of adjectives by the teacher......

9. Cheeniya

My dear Bhargavi
    Our body tends to get associated strongly with the words we speak if we are passionate about what we communicate. We'll have our pet subjects and whenever our conversations touch on those pet subjects, it is natural that they become animated. Body language is just an indication of our interest in the discussion. If we have no interest in the proceedings, the body ceases to participate but the face does through frequent yawning!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  10. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Respected Sir,

If we have no interest in the proceedings, the body ceases to participate but the face does through frequent yawning!
    Sri

Thats a good one Sir..:thumbsup....the conscious struggle the students make to stifle a yawn in a boring class.....:rotfl