1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problems with DH - in-laws and his ex-girlfriend

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by fionashrek, Jun 16, 2013.

1. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

Hi ladies,

I am married since 3 years. It was a love-marriage. I am married to an amazing person. Before marriage, I shifted to the same city where my husband was working. I was working too. That time I shifted to the new city so that we could be together and spend some time together.

My problem is that he used to visit his parents in his hometown almost every weekend. We would get to meet up only once a month. I used to spend more time with our common friends. Only I used to feel the need to meet up. Once he even stayed in his hometown for an entire week to attend his ex-girlfriend's wedding. At that time his parents were also not in his hometown. So, out of self-respect, I moved out of that city - hoping that he will miss me. I thought if i stay away from him for a while, he will understand. He did miss me, but we were both able to survive for one year.

After marriage his parents expected us to visit them each month. One weekend each month causes my household work to be skipped.To keep it short, I would say that I dont get my space at all.

Ours is an intercaste marriage. Our cultures are poles apart and I am time and again made aware of this when I visit his hometown. Even then for the first two years I quietly obliged and would accompany him each month - whenever they called us. Now that I am acquainted with his relatives and have spent enough time with his parents, I have started insisting on me getting my space. I have other activities like my hobbies too, which help me rejuvenate and I prefer pursuing them. So 20% of the times I don't travel with him. Otherwise for occasions, weddings, festivals I do. I dont think it is a big issue because my co-sister also does that. In fact, she visits them even lesser than i do! I don't mind anyone visiting us, but i hate to travel every now and then. I know my in-laws are unhappy about the fact that i dont visit them each time my DH does.

Today my biggest problem is that we are trying to conceive and he wants to travel!! Due to the fact that I have PCOD, my periods are very irregular and we have been advised to try having IC as much as possible throughout the month. But I feel DH does not care about it. Next month he has to travel for work for a week!! And after that he is planning to go to his parents place for 2 days!! We will probably miss my ovulation days, even if i travel with him! He does not care about it. We dont have that much time to wait any more. I wanted to try to conceive naturally as much as possible.

My second problem is that my husband had a girlfirend long before we even met each other. They have been friends since the time they broke up! (Today, she is married). I have accepted his past. But today when they meet up, she gives him a friendly hug and it annoys the hell out of me. My blood boils when i see that. DH expects me to be friendly with her. Isn't that too much expectation?? I cannot do that..I cannot understand this so-called friendship! Am i being unreasonable, or would all of you feel the same way?? To make matters worse, she has settled in the same city as mine. As I have been very clear about my views about my opinion about this woman, my DH has stopped asking me to be friendly with her. But I know he is unhappy about it, he is still in touch with her as a friend. I try to ignore all that, but i hate it when i have to meet her and stuff! :( :( Please tell me how do I feel ok about all this, or is it that DH is expecting too much out of me. I feel like I should draw my lines. It feels a bit guilty, but I think it is necessary to do so.

Cheers,
    Fiona

2. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear Fiona,
    Its fine to want space for yourself and limit your visits to PILs place.
    Regarding conception men usually don't like to do anything as an order, command performances put them off, the pressure can backfire.
    Do not let old flames rekindle , would any hubby make his DW's ex his buddy???
    Don't include her in your circle of friends ,it can lead to much more , lending shoulders to each other .
    Also make it clear that all the hugging her puts you off, let him sulk.
    He should realize that a wife has a right to feel bad if DH hugs, meets his ex, not done.

2 people like this.
  3. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

In this matter I am very old fashioned, I feel that unless children are involved, then frankly there should be no reason whatsoever, to keep in contact with an ex - all that tells me is that he has not been able to move on, and still carries around the emotional baggage of his past relationship.

Personally if I were married to someone who kept in contact with an ex, he would find himself an ex very quickly as I would end it right away.
    I absolutely detest that kind of avoidable drama and I would never encourage it in a relationship.

How often do we hear about people ending up back in the arms of exes, or in their bed? Quite often.
    So no, I believe that when a relationship is over, it should be a clean break.
    It's disrespectful to the present relationship otherwise.

If your hubby is aware that his friendship with his ex is making you insecure and unhappy, then he ought to put an immediate end to it as any caring and loving husband would do.

4. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much for your replies. :)

Just one point..i am extremely sure that he is over the relationship long ago. The woman is now married and has a daughter too and i am very sure they are good friends. It's been more than 15 years since they broke up - they were teenagers (sorry, i shud have mentioned this). I am also quite old-fashioned about all this, so i just cannot understand that people can be friends after a breakup. He justifies it by saying that they were kids back then. I dont feel insecure about them getting back together.

All i have a problem with is the expectation that i should be ok with the fact that he expects us to be friendly and stuff! That's impossible for me to do. I get pangs of jealousy when i see them together. I just wanted to know if any other woman would feel the same and thanks for letting me know that i am not wrong in feeling this way. Their common friends make me feel that i am clinging on to something very silly and something that is not even worth thinking about today.
    So i feel bad. Just wanted to validate if my feelings are justified. Thank you :)

It is also very strange for me that when my DH hugs any of his friends (female friends) my in-laws dont stop him or tell him its not ok. Not that they are very advanced or anything. I somehow dont like it at all. My DH has a very clear conscience, I trust him completely. But there are some things i am very old-fashioned about. If i hug any of my old (male) friends it would not be very well-accepted would it?

5. RadiantFlower

RadiantFlower Platinum IL'ite

I understand, but what I wanted to say is - you are his wife, therefore he ought to consider your feelings too and make more of an effort to give up a few of these 'habits' for the sake of domestic happiness- can he be trusted to do that for you?

1 person likes this.
  6. fionashrek

fionashrek Silver IL'ite

You are right..I think he should give it up. I know he has reduced his communication with her a lot more than before. And he does not mention her at all any more. But we did have to meet her about 1.5 years back when she was in the city. I did not want to go at all, but i went anyway just to try to be ok with the whole thing. That day i realized that I was not...Sometimes i feel like i am too old-fashioned and they are too "modern". But i really am glad that i was right in feeling the way i did. Thank you so much. :)

1 person likes this.
  7. shaluk

shaluk Silver IL'ite

one thing at a time. your husband seems to be very good person, very good son and undoubtedly an excellent friend and noone in this world would think of bad of him! my concern is and it must be your concern as well, is he a good husband? i am sorry but i dont think so. This is the question you should ponder and ask him. We think someone is good actor or son or manager in a company or good in home making then they must be good spouses as well or vice versa and this might be far from truth as well. your husband might not realize it as well. its your job to make him understand with the best diplomatic skills you can lay your hands on. today job of man is much more then paying bills. he might be keeping himself happy just with the fact that he is giving you all the freedom that you want and tolerating your behavior(from his perspective) for your IL and his ex or not being abusive.but you have to make him understand that today women need and deserve much more then that, we need to be cared, we need to be heard and we need to be understood. this he might be missing. if he is so excited about running away to his parents and doesnt care about conceiving can you imagine how will he take up the responsibility of child. and how will you cope up with extra pressure of a baby and husband who is still a son. all these things can be sorted out without spoiling relationships. just take one thing at a time, starting with your TTC concerns and concerns about him to be there for you when you might need him most, which is till 2 years after child birth. about ex GF, its natural to feel jealous. but try to refrain from expressing it till you have the baby. you want your husband with you, not crying on his ex gf shoulders because of a wife who doesnt understand platonic friendships. for the time being try to involve her husband to all your meetings and see how he responds to all the hugging etc and if she doesnt hug in front of her husband then you have another weapon in your hand to be used when you need it. Dont feel stressful esp when you are TTC. its all about hormones and they respond to stress very quick. All the best.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

Hugging amongst friends is not a big deal. That is generally done by many folks and it is ok.
    The only issue is it is not just a friend, but an ex-flame so you feel uncomfortable.
    Otherwise I think hugging is a more acceptable thing and happens more often than you think when good friends.

9. Vasu78

Vasu78 Senior IL'ite

From your previous posts it appears you are around 27 (?) years old. How old is your hubby? if he is 30-32 or so, then he would have been around 15-16 yrs old when he was involved with this ex-gf. Is that even a real relationship? Teenage crushes are hardly worth worrying over. You say you have met her once in the last 1.5 years. Again doesn't seem like she is a constant presence around you and your husband. You have a good husband who loves you. This girlfriend business seems a lot like a non-issue. If you don't like the hugging, tell him gently that it makes you uncomfortable. Don't keep it inside and build stress.

10. navyar

navyar Gold IL'ite

Regarding your second problem:

Hug her well before she tries to hug your H and whisper in her ear .."ohh.. you better hug me instead of my H .... I am such a very old fashioned jealous jerk .... what to do ... I somehow hate this hugging business between opposite genders .... Don't think otherwise ...." and laugh out extremely loud dominating any of her attempt to justify their hug.

Even after loosening the hold ... continue holding her hands till all the initial formal greetings 'how are you' ... etc., are completely done between everybody .... Leave her and let her go only after you people settle down after formal greetings. Greet her enough :crazy so that she will not find opportunity to greet your H with a hug. :biggrin2:

Your H will think you are socializing too well with her .... and on the flip side you will be able to stop this nonsense. Don't mess with your H ... instead mess with her if you are really bothered about the hug ... What worst can happen? she will stop talking to you. Who cares ... she will stop hugging your H right??
    so do it.

1 person likes this.