1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem With Younger Cosister

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Trustcarelove, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Madhumagie

Madhumagie Silver IL'ite

Best solution call her and ask her to help you as u need to do lot multitasking . :grin:
    I hope it works for you , just try
    All the best .

2. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@Trustcarelove

Problem is your (Even mine) confidence and self dependence.
    People take your abilities for granted. It is time to say NO when there is a need for self protection. If not, you will be exploited for no reasons.

I love to be active, and it is my nature.
    I can't be lazy or I can't stand a messy house at all. So, regardless of domestic supports (maids), I ensure my house is properly functioning.
    Sometimes my H helps around. He has no ego. But his work schedule does not always allow him to slog in the kitchen with me.
    So, most of the days it is me who manages everything at home to ensure our house is clean and tidy, and presentable to the guests at any given time. More importantly, I take extra steps to make the residents of the house feel comfortable, as it makes me happy at the end of the day.

Since I do this without anyone's instructions or order, my family take this for granted. They expect me to do the works and maintain the house all the days as it is today.
    Initially they were amazed at my 'super woman" qualities, since I am also a working woman. However, with time they have forgotten it comfortably, rather expected more and more from me instead of appreciating what I am actually doing.

I think your family (read your H) is also the same as mine. He knows what you are capable of. He knows how much you love to work and present your house/food etc for the guests. He takes you for granted. This happens.
    That's why he asks you to make this and that to make his guests comfortable.
    He doesn't see your disturbance here at all....

This even happened to me so many times in the past, until I put my foot down to defend myself.

Don't spoil your relationship with your BIL or co-sis right now. But open up this topic with your H immediately.
    Tell him that you are already over doing, and you can't do any further. Tell him about your limits.
    Tell him, how much support is needed in the kitchen to reduce your workload, so that you too could take some rest.
    Be explicit if he could not understand the hints. Be firm, but don't lose your cool.

When your BIL and CO-sis comes for the next time, follow these simple tips.

- Don't mother your co-sis
    - Cook just one elaborate meal at home (I personally prefer lunch) and make your H buy the remaining two meals (b-fast and dinner). Alternatively, you all could eat out too.
    - Look for local home-made food providers (if any), and order food from them.
    - Look for simple ready made meals, and invite all the adults to make their own dish.
    - Ask your H to set an example about washing the dishes after the meal. Jokingly you could ask others to do the same.
    - Invest your time into something interesting other than cooking and serving.
    - Don't ask their menu unless you are getting the food from outside
    - Learn to accept criticism, and take it as part of life. At the end of the day, no matter how much you try to be perfect, people will have something or the other to criticize you. So, better embrace the imperfections of us and others and live normally.

leenarajaryan likes this.
  3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Absolutely no help @Rihana
    It is getting harder here to find a domestic helper. Even if we find, it is very expensive, and they are not reliable. Due to so much reported security issues, we have finally got rid of the helpers (maid, gardener and nanny). The former maids too were not working with us for a long time. They just rotate, and the maid turnover was very much high.
    That was one of the reason, why I had to leave my original career - which demanded more of me. Now that I am in a flexible 9-5 job near my home.

So, comming back to the topic, yes. I do all the chores, almost all alone. H's work time and location won't support him to slog in the kitchen regularly. Although he does not have any Ego on this.

I am not forced to work. But I want to work, and I am used to work now a days.
    I could not withstand a messy home, specially a messy kitchen. I do not want my kids to eat fast food or store brought food, rather I want them to have freshly prepared home made hygienic food.
    I even personally don't like to eat out all the time.
    I could not sleep peacefully if one of my bathrooms are smelly. It is just my personal disorder, because I want everything around me to be clean.
    I want my home to be clean and tidy, and to be presentable to the guests at any given time. If not I feel so bad and embarrassed.
    So, I can't complain about being helpless or over worked, as I do it for me.
    But I understand OP's POV clearly, as it pains when someone takes us for granted, and orders us to do this and that since we are capable of over working.

Madhumagie, KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That is truly impressive. I gather you live in Sri Lanka, which cannot be much different than southern India in terms of climate, dust and so on. You make different dishes for kids, no maid servant for kitchen help or house cleaning, your house is always presentable, you spend time with the kids, bathing, homework... and you find time for IL. : ) Absolutely no sarcasm here. It is really an impressive achievement. There have been about 4-5 days in my life when I have accomplished this, and I remarked about it to DH and the kids for a month after each such day.

SGBV, KavithaUS and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Now maintaining gender equality is an additional duty on the host WOW .How convenient to give free pass to the woman in the name of man not working in a hosts house .

The couple can sort out between themselves who need to work but expecting host to go out of her comfort area and ask BIL instead of co sister is bit far fetched .

Basically both are spoilt brats getting free work done by some one else .

Play the gender card at home and get husband to work , if you are a guest follow the host and you can tell husband to pitch in if one has achieved gender equality at home

6. Trustcarelove

Trustcarelove Silver IL'ite

I totally agree with you. My husband knows what i am capable of..so ..

Thank you for allyour valuable comments.. i will follow to my best next time..

7. Trustcarelove

Trustcarelove Silver IL'ite

To Those who have talked about Gender equality...no that is not how i treated in my house...my husband always thinks/says i am the husband and you are the wife not vice versa when i ask for equality..

He doesn;t cook or clean or work in the kitchen full fledges..he cooks when he want to try something new. He helps me with loading the dishwasher sometimes when the dishwasher is already unloaded..that too leave most of the vessels which needs to be in hands left out ..so anyways i have to work on it after he is done..

He gives shower to my lil one when i go out to activities with my older one...

If you all talk about just cooking and house hold chores as gender equality, i do lawn mowing in summer, but i can't shovel or snow blow during the winter..which he does...he never forced me to do both..i picked the lawn mowing as it was more like a work out for me...

Again, If i am going to ask my BIL to come help me or do that work , this work to ease my level of work...obviously that is going to be trouble for my life....if he himself volunteers bcos his wife is nto capable of doign it..thats is different...

Ofcourse my BIL helped my husband when he was shoveling the snow when they came ( ofcrs my husband was showing him the way more than my BIL helped)..

So gender equalities never exist atleast in my house..I can do everything my husband does and have been doing expect snow blowing ( i have done once shoveling to take the car out, but really couldn't get up the next day)...but still he feels i am not equal...thats how our home runs..

But i teach my 9 year old to load the dishwasher , put laundary, fold his own clothes..and chant like mantra to him that both husband and wife should do all teh chores......

8. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

You did not mention about my times in FB, whatsapp and other social media.
    I have time for the gym and yoga, and I do diet at times, so cook low calorie special food for myself.

I am an active member of a local charity club, and I do social services on my free time.

We do travel a lot and host guests a lot of times here.

Absolutely I am not boasting here. But I live my life.
    I do consider myself to be active and I hate to be lazy. That's all.

seekout and KashmirFlower like this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I think we have interacted on enough topics by now that I can dare to take a liberty and say this -- qualifies for Ripley's believe it or not! Maybe some time down the line you can oblige us with a 1/2 hour by 1/2 hour account of your waking hours over a month.. : ) To be able to do all this, and on a sustained basis is worthy of being bottled and sold. I have seen some women in India 2-3 decades ago, and know 2-3 in the U.S. now who are such a beehive of energy, but even those don't come close to you.

Ouch! How about laidback instead of lazy? :)

10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I've done this. With my second child even though initially there were no issues, I haven't lifted a finger. Lived in India so got all the help. I even stopped going to office so I could relax at home.

Yup, this too. First time around my DH didn't care much. By the time I had my son my DH had completely changed into this overprotective guy. He didn't let me touch the steering wheel or enter the kitchen etc etc. I took full advantage.

Now this is plain bad manners. No matter what goes on in her house and who does her seva, she cannot sit and expect you to wait on her hand and foot. That's not your job. I don't go to someone else's house and treat them like my helpers. I pitch in or we both pitch in.

OP - Your SIL can do whatever she wants in her house with her husband but at your place she can't expect you to baby her. She is a grown woman. Twenty three isn't too young to have manners. My child does her bit when we visit other people and she is just a teenager. I think she is just taking advantage of your niceness. Stop being so nice. Nip this issue in the bud, it's only going to get worse for you.

You did mention that your DH was upset about her not helping out. Would he stand by you if you told him that you want to stop doing all this and maintain a good relationship and not be taken for granted. Since he seems to be suggesting what you cook, maybe tell him before hand that since she isn't helping you want to reduce your workload. Ask him not to suggest time consuming items. And stop packing any food for them. Just cook enough for you to be able to use not to pack and send.