1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with Parents

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Athaalia, Oct 9, 2007.

1. jaya36

jaya36 New IL'ite

Hi dont be too hard on yourself. GIve what u can. It is a sticky situation & do save for urself also..........when we need it really noone will come forward with money.

I have been in similar situation with my folks & ILs .........gave them money when they wanted BUT when my dh was soooooooo sick & almost dying.........we did not have any savings & ofcourse cud not ask dear ones to return our money.........

HTH
    Jaya

2. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Hi Dear,

I am totally agreeing with Balamotwani........
    Keep some money for emergency and give the rest to your parents.
    They are asking for the life of another girl, you must be knowing how hard it is in India to get a decent family and think if you would love to see your own sister in pain for the rest of your life for some money.....
    Your life has just started and I know managing with kids is really difficult and going for a good saving is also time taking.
    But still she is your sister and they are your parents...........have they ever asked for money before for any other thing, if no, then they must be in crunch and nobody ever like to beg even to their kids unless its not that important........

Sorry to Varalotti Sir,
    I read your reply in expectation that I will see something very unique suggestion, but I was hurted by your reply.....
    You have told to give simply 1000/1500 dollars as a gift..........
    I am not boasting, but we gave 60000 rupees last year to our needy relative, my hubby's maternal uncle........as a gift to her daughter (not asking for return) plus other things..........
    And will continue to do so for all the poor relatives that we have.........
    And we are here since two years only.............and also don't have a lump sum money as saving.............
    But thing which is important is the life of a girl........and when she is your sister then matters is so sensitive that you should have asked your parents for money they need...........
    Anyways, its your matter, deal with it.........and take care not to feel guilty after some years to see your parents/sister in pain.........

A hard truth is that..........you being a child is irritated by your parent's need and the irony is that you are saving money for your kid..........
    Take care.

sindmani likes this.
  3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meeta,

I am moved to see your love and your giving. I am proud that I know a nice person like you. But, Meeta, this case is not as simple as it seems at the surface.

Let's look at the facts of the case. The lady says that her father has other ways of easily raising the money. If she had said, that but for this money, her sister's marriage will not happen, then my answer will be different.

Now, Meeta, 1500$ is about 60,000 Rupees and it goes a long way in an Indian marriage situation.

There is one thing we all tend to forget in a situation like this. And that is the emotional affordability of the gift. (and not just the financial affordability). If this lady could emotionally afford the full gift of the entire 10000 $, then this question would not have come to this forum at all. She would have just given away the money and would not have spoken about it.

Again, we can find out that her relationship with her parents, especially her mother is already strained. She is not happy about the way her mother calls her child. If you add an emotionally unaffordable gift to the scene, then you are inviting disaster. In any argument coming in future, out of desperation one side or the other side is likely to mention this transaction and then all hell will break loose.

From the way the question is worded we can easily discern that the woman could not emotionally afford it. If in this situation she forces herself to make a gift, I am afraid, her relationship with her parents will definitely take a big blow. I have known cases where the parents and/or children make gifts that they could not emotionally afford, and afterwards, they are permanently estranged.
    That to me appeared as a very serious risk. And that's why I brought down the amount to 1500$ and instead of giving it as a loan, it could be given as a gift.

Giving is okay, Meeta. But we owe a duty to ourselves and our connections, not to hurt ourselves in the process. This lady has been saving for an emergency. And you know very well emergencies are galore here in the US.

So I still feel it will not be a wise decision to give away the entire money, either from the prudence point of view or from the emotional affordability point of view.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
    yesican and sindmani like this.
  4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

well lots of people have given rather good suggestions.one thing i want to point is when there is issue of financialy helping our inlaws we ladies always advice the fellow ladies to think twice but when it comes to helping our own family we tell them to take the plunge without thinking.
    why these double standards. also many ladies have accused this lady of not being a good daughter as she is thinking twice before taking this risk but may i ask , only if helping someone financialy makes one a good person.
    do not forget the lady with her husband & kid will have to travel to india to attend the marriage which too will cost her money .

yesican, sindmani and navs23 like this.
  5. diwali

diwali Senior IL'ite

hi Pragathi,

i think u r right!:clap

Sri

6. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir,
    After reading your explaination of emotional affordability, I think your suggestion was good. Probably, most of us seem to be more emotional rather than logical. If I would have taken it logically and went between the words of her letter, I would have spoke like you but I was looking onto the surface portion of her words, so could not notice her point of view.
    Yeah, she can't afford the gift emotionally, otherwise she would not have spoke about it, could have given some money directly to her parents.
    Thank you for explaining this in detail to me otherwise it was kind of shock to me to see this reply yesterday and could not get ur point of view from that. Now, I can say that its the best (perhaps) suggestion to give this kind of problem.
    Thank you and regards.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Athaalia

Athaalia New IL'ite

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your wise (and not so wise!) replies. I am happy that I can turn to so many people for advice.Ok, well, let me shed a little more light on my situation. First of all, I am not a bad daughter, as I was the one who originally suggested that if they needed, I would lend my parents the money. Secondly, my father has known about the marriage for ten plus months, so it was not an overnight situation. He had so many ways of raising the money otherwise, but he was lethargic to do so. Thirdly, this should come as a shocker, I have been married for two years and working for just one year, whereas my father has been working in England for 30 plus years. So what do you all have to say about that then? True, he spent all his money to raise us, and in making us to be well rounded, educated children. He has invested a lot of money in land and properties , etc. I know he hasn't saved much money, but to say that he does not even have RS. 4 lakhs (10k US$), its really hard to believe. It kind of looks like he is not willing to break into his savings..But then , I really don't know. I am not unwilling to spend for my parents. No way, I am a kind daughter and have spent on lots of things for them in the past, but , as I mentioned earlier, in this day and age, when we really need money for an emergency, it will be hard to raise hard cash instantly. And emergencies cannot be predicted.Can they? Plus, we have expenses like going to India, marriage gifts, gifts for relatives, loans, etc etc. True, my husband also earns. But most of you know how much you can save on one person's salary, living in the US. Not much..

8. Athaalia

Athaalia New IL'ite

And on a final note,

Ria, who are you to comment on my character? what the hell?? Just cos you are given the comfort of anonymity and a computer screen, doesn't mean you can type anything that comes out of your mouth.. "hopeless daughter", indeed. You make me laugh.. Knowing that such miserable people like you actually exist in reality, it makes me feel all the more better about myself. Not that I need to expain myself to you, but I had been working for 3 plus years in India, before my marriage, and every penny that I earned, went to my family (ie, my mom and sis).. Not because we needed the money, it was spent on unneccessary luxuries.. jewels, clothes, movies, electronics, you name it. I earned, they spent. But when I was completely broke, right before my marriage and I really needed the money to spend on my marriage trousseau (You may ask why.. cos my father refused to spend money on that..he said he couldnt afford it..********) I had to borrow RS 20,000 from my relative to buy my stuff. Such a shame, isnt it? I came to USA, worked my ass off and repaid my relative. Till this day, my father doesnt know that I borrowed money from my uncle. So, what do you have to say about that?
    In future, just dont try to make any judgements on people. You don't know crap about my husband or me. We are good people, who do the best unto others by our standards. Wouldnt your husband question you if your dad asked you for RS 4 lakhs, despite being abroad for more than 30 years?? Just cos they are our parents, we dont have to be ingorant. We need to be smart. If it was for someone who had NO other means, sure, without second questions, we would have given the money, but that is certainly NOT the case.. So just keep your comments to yourself. They are certainly not welcome. And in regards to the other post by myself, this is a forum where we express anguish over the issues in our lives. If I wanted to express all the fun and joyful occurrences, I would be on some other forum, right? Tell me, I presume you are married and you have a husband. Correct? Would you keep silent and let your mom call your husband "IT"? That word is used In reference to an animal. I duno what your mother tongue is, but in mine, it is VERY direspectful to call anyone "IT" , leave alone your son-in-law. Maybe you would enjoy your husband being disrespected by your mom, but certainly not me. I love him too much for that.

9. naazneen

naazneen Junior IL'ite

Hello there!,
    sorry to hear of your dillemma, also sorry to see the character malise thrown your way. My thoughts would be to keep in mind the emotional gift argument. Also contrary to what others are saying, your sister is not dying or of serious illness for you to just give away your emergency fund. Neither are your parents in any such dire need. Infact as I write this, given your parents situation you would be much wiser to keep some money away for real emergency's either your own or your parents. For the people who ask you to think about what your parents did for you- I'm sure they too never wiped their funds out just because you wanted a pricey dinner outing.

Give a gift you can afford,what ever sum you decide. Maybe you do decide to loan a sum to your father, I certainly wouldn't give it "all" away. One way would be to calculate on your own how long it will take "you" to replenish the sum you are willing to loan before you feel the pinch(just incase your dad isn;t able to give back the cash)- that way if you have your fund restored soon enough you too will be at ease as to when your dad will return the money. Any money he returns will only be a bonus.
    All the best
    ~ N

10. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

What happened to your sister does she work? Think wisely before you do it.