1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Priya's First Flight Today To Pune

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sunkan, Jul 13, 2007.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Today my daughter priya takes her first flight, to pune to join her husband giri and I got reminded of our first flight together to Bangalore from kolkata in the year 1978 to attend my father’s funeral and she was a little chirpy one all the time talking in all languages known to her..

There were a group of physicians traveling along with us, and my husband as usual very scared of flying has drunk himself and was snoozing in one corner, I had the little one to keep me really occupied through the flight…

We sat in the 4<SUP>th</SUP> row and she just got up raising her legs to peep who are in the front row
    Asking them ‘kemon achen’ how are u in Bengali, next line ‘Prothom baar” is it your first flight? And they were all amused at the small little one speaking the most lovable language in the north eastern section, the next line bolted me, ‘Baba’r oanek bhoy ghumiye podlen’ dad is very scared so sleeping, now I had to intervene and pull her down, telling her to stop gossiping, but the doctors in front were all laughing encouraging her to talk more…

As the flight started to move, for me it was my first flight tooo, was a lot nervous I am more used to earthly enjoyment of train and its sceneries and the speed and the klukketing sound putting u to sleep and here it was leaving the ground in great speed, slowly observed the sceneries going small and the waves of clouds taking over, and all through the flight priya was entertaining all going from one row to the other, even the airhostess seem to be mesmerized by her chatter.. and we had a lot of air gaps and the flight was suddenly loosing height and the end of the journey a very sad thing waiting for me, in total it was a calamity flight, not for priya, she had loads of audience and wanted to talk with all..

Next our flight from Chennai to Bangalore was too small for all the three of us so the airhostess took priya along and made her chatter in the mike, making every one laugh in the flight, and today to think she is all alone there high above as I write this, would had loved her husband next to her holding his hand to show her fear, but had to face all alone, my thoughts are there with her traveling all along, I think I can only do that, by the time I finish this article she must had neared pune, and giri waiting for her.. regards sunkan

sindmani and varalotti like this.

2. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sundari,
    I am sure you would miss your loving daughter a lot and that is clearly visible in your write-up. I went through the same experience when my elder son left for Singapore 4 years back to do his B.Tech at NUS(National University of Singapore). and as I am typing this FB to you he is preparing to be back here tomorrow(most probably, if he is able to manage a ticket) for a small break before he takes up his new job there on the 30th July. Oh! How time flies!

3. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello akka

going back a little less than thirty years...
    sure must have been anxiety in the air
    the stomach churning
    to the news below
    and yet a first time
    first flight...
    with little kiddy to lisp...
    and today the imp flying
    sure should be flying
    with clouds to kiss her
    houses and people
    like ants and grasshoppers
    giri waiting..
    imagining priya flying
    smiling...
    great future ahead..

sathya

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

First convey my hearty wishes for a successful life to Priya.
    Your article reminded me of such a maiden trip made by our daughters when they are 12 and 10 respectively, to India in 2004. Eventhough they travelled on an unaccompanied minor status, they didn't have a pleasant experience on their flight.They are not satisfied with the service of the hostess. For that they complained to the Airlines and got the Travel credit.
    Sriniketan

Last edited: Jul 14, 2007
  5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sunkan,

Enjoyed your little anecdote...though a short account, it comes across as very sweet and full of poignant memories. After so many flights in my life, the thought of the first flight has almost vanished from my memories and you brought it back with a jolt.
    Today, air travel unfortunately is fraught with tensions of so many types, not to mention the terrorism factor. Sad state of affairs.
    My dear old mother is flying tonight to be with me. I know it is a great effort for her and I feel guilty about putting her through all that stress and trouble at this age. May God be with her and make it easy.

L, Kamla

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,

You sure are missing your daughter.....but you are also so happy that she is going to join her husband. All mothers are this way, is'nt it?

Every time I visit India and stay with my mother, we have our moments of laughter, fight's, shopping and outings. And when it is time for me to return, there is always a tear to shed at the airport. When I was young, we would visit my mother's mother during holidays. And it was the same - my mother would have a great time with my grandma and while leaving, there would be a tear from both sides.

7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dont worry,
    i am sure older they are wiser they are, though they go through a lot of stress which they never mention to help us not worry, but they do go through a lot at this age, i am not in pune but worry a lot about priya, could not sleep yesterday as priya was alone in a room and i know how scared she is to be alone, now this is a mother's woe...heard she slept like a log, but it was a nightmare for me, so have to repair my mind fast and let go...regards sunkan

1 person likes this.
  8. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello kamala

paattiyoda ammavum
    paatti paarka vanthala
    peran enna sonnano
    pethi paadi vanthalo?
    vayathu maranthu
    vilayatti thulli thulli
    kuthithaaro
    konji konji maghizndu
    saapida eno maranthaalo
    pesi pesi neramellaam
    odi odi ponatho
    neram anaithum parakkaamal
    pidithu vaithu kondadu...!!
    say hi to mom from all of us..!

sathya

9. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Dear sunkan
    Glad to that your daughter reached safely.As someone pointed out air travel which is to be enjoyed has been a thought of terror these days.Iam pushed back to an event years back.We were travelling from chennai to Bombay years back.MY son was 2 years old then.He refused to sit down and fasten his belts.Right thru the flight he was standing on the seat.He came sayingkept this flight would crash and he would sit down.We really had a terrible time.Once we reached our destination was reached he gave the reson for not sitting down.He recalled that he had seen a picture in a newspaper a week back regarding a crash.(that was the year a IA crashed near Bombay).But the same fellow has grown and loves to travel .He is still excited when he travels by flight. All said and done I only enjoy a trip by train.Nothing like getting down for hot chai and snacks at stations.Your feet firmly stuck to our mother earth.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

KANAKA
    me too a train personality love it any day sunkan