1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prevention Better Or Cure?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Sep 3, 2016.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Last morning, I don't know why, but I was driving in the car with you @Kamla. Not that I wish to jeopardize your well being. Not that I drive much either. Later morning I was on my way to class (yes, I am back to being a student now for just one semester :), trying to improve my skills) and was caught in a traffic jam. Many scooters overtook us on the wrong side of the divider, heading towards to a signal where there is normally a policeman waiting. Nothing happened to them. Murphy's law. You can drive as carefully as you like, but they'd catch you if you infringed the law in the smallest possible way and inadvertently at that. (Some people probably have it painted in caps, bold and italics on their foreheads "I am a soft target. Aa bail mujhe maar). Such blatant infringement, however, is acceptable. Just then I saw a policeman walk out and stand there visibly. The moment one scooterist saw the police he turned around and went back. A mean streak in me prompted me to wonder why the cop did not hide himself and catch them red-handed. The question is "is it more important to prevent crime or to catch criminals?" Logic tells us prevention is better than cure. So it was good that the police made himself visible.

So why don't all our police prevent crimes? Simple, it does not pay them. They have to justify their existence. They have to ensure that they get their promotions and medals for yeoman service rendered in interest of the public. Now how do they prove their service if they prevent crime? What will they prove? Who stopped the crime? Where? Who were the potential criminals? What proof did they have that this crime (even as 'small' a one as infringement of traffic rules) would have occurred without them? Now consider the crime done. The police catch hold of the criminals. They have done a job that can be proved as well as commended. So why would they prevent crime? Food for thought.

Agatha83, Kamalji, Viswamitra and 6 others like this.

2. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Satchi - similar to "the other side" of yours just posted - with no small crime at home, can't keep my maem saab happy at home :)

If no crime then am looked at as a camouflaged criminal, better i do something and keep her happily shouting at me :)

ksuji and satchitananda like this.
  3. satchitananda

LOL. Now I need to get the other side before I pass judgment!

ksuji and GoogleGlass like this.
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I have often seen,while the policeman is checking the papers of a few....many others just slip by.
    We are just too many in number satchi :shakehead:.Too many people,too little law enforcers.
    Sometime standing with the 'danda' in the right place works more efficiently for the 'system'.

satchitananda and joylokhi like this.
  5. satchitananda

YM, I totally agree. The sight of that so and so turning back when he saw the policeman made me feel so ashamed at out attitude. Basically we only obey laws if there is a danda. There is no concept of self-discipline.

KashmirFlower and jskls like this.
  6. yellowmango

Sometimes if there is no policeman around and we are the first ones to stop at the read light,people behind start honking and giving dirty looks.......

This is even worse in the older generation.My father and father in law find it so hard to understand that one way means one way...specially in their home town.:scream:
    While they reluctantly wear seat belts when they are at our place,they refuse to do the same in their home town......"yahan,it is allowed".:shakehead:
    My daughters are a 100 times better in following traffic rules.:beer-toast1:

KashmirFlower and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

Yes, road rage is going to ridiculous extents. Stopping at a red light with nowhere to go, I have had people honking endlessly till I turned around and signalled to them to fly over my head.

The other day, had to let one such specimen go through the red light. As he overtook us, he turned around and shook his fist menacingly at the driver.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. yellowmango

You are my soul sister.

satchitananda likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

Police Departments perhaps have quotas and without that, they will be questioned. Higher ups may think that they stopped working. No crime during this month report is simply not acceptable. Their very existence depends on the crimes happening in their jurisdiction. The next major problem, when there is a major crime, they have to solve it and that too within a reasonable period of time. Sometimes, it raises jurisdiction questions. Some of the crimes detected by them might have been committed by someone very influential and they may have pressure to drop that case. Therefore, it accounts as a lost crime. Some of the crime network may have an existing arrangement with the police station or even higher up that their crimes should go undetected for a fixed monthly fee. When the Inspector changes, this deal has to be renegotiated. Prevention is last in their list unless there are too many violent crimes and there is a strict order from the highest office to monitor for them 24/7.

This reminds me of a joke that existed in a company that I worked for. Our CEO wanted each one of us to be an outstanding crisis manager and trained us so well to handle any crisis in our respective areas. Over a period of time we have become experts. However, in order to train ourselves even better, we converted an ordinary situation into a crisis so that we could apply our skills.

Viswa

KashmirFlower and satchitananda like this.
  10. satchitananda

So true Viswa. How long is it before people started manufacturing crimes to increase their quotas? No crime is a crisis for them. Many crimes they MAY NOT solve. So where do they get their quotas from?

Viswamitra likes this.