1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pressure to start a family!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by EatPrayLove, Apr 19, 2013.

1. RPVAIL

RPVAIL Silver IL'ite

Now that calls for a more stronger push back from your side. I can understand some soft guidance from the parents side but military camp like rules are a NO..NO.

Your husband should plainly say 'My WIFE and I have decided to NOT have kids for 2 or 3 years. End of conversation...'.

2 people like this.
  2. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

But isn't it easier said, than done? It won't take 2 seconds to say that, DH is all for it - but he plans on wording it lightly than you have put it - but either way it's going to offend him dearly.. Well, he has to face it but does it have to be in his very first visit to his son's house after his wedding - is my question..

I have another thread going on the 'Relationship with in-laws' forum detailing what other issues I am worried abt during their visit.. Basically my FIL has tons of problems with my parents but he loves me and DH.. my MIL is a very nice lady but she sides her DH when it comes to my parents.. And I am worried abt wearing my mangalsutra - or rather not wearing it in their presence/having to put up a false pretense.. the list goes on.. i ll be the first to admit that my woes are not half as bad as the others who post here.. nor do i have real demons as IL's.. but still, i am very upfront and hate lying.. i would like to be a very loving DIL and make their stay as happy as possible.. i owe DH that.. but just that all these things sometimes gets on my nerves..

So in the light of all this, I am worried if we have to rush into a confrontation and make their first visit an unpleasant one - tainted with bad memories..

3. anahita5

anahita5 Gold IL'ite

my excuse was 'Economy is bad and they are laying of people in our company, I have to work and concentrate on job or else they will kick me out' . 'Money is tight' , 'babies are costly', 'we need to save for baby first, can't bring one now when we are not stable ourseleves ' etc .. i understand parents but what is with the relatives and neighbours expecting baby news... Don't they have their own babies to make..

4. EatPrayLove

exactly my point! guess what, my very close friend who lives in chennai is getting married next month and we were discussing her wedding prep in general and topic shifted to family planning.. i asked her if she was all prepared and comfortable (she's my oldest friend from childhood, we did our undergrad together and we pretty much talk to each other everyday, very close) with everything.. she declared that she was not going to 'plan' anything and has already discussed things with her fiance, and they are all set to have a baby right after the wedding.. i was initially surprised because hers is an arranged marriage and they spoke to each other for literally 5 mins before they said 'yes' and got engaged in a week.. and getting married after 2 months of their engagement.. it appeared as if they were taking things too fast, but hey, to each his own.. we all do what we feel is right, and what we feel comfortable doing - so i stopped judging her and felt genuinely happy for her.. never mentioned anything abt my initial concerns to her..

but.. but.. she asked me why i was putting off starting a family.. when i gave her my reasons she said, 'u know why DF and I are planning on starting a family right away? We fear that if we put off, we won't ever have one.. also, think abt ur parents.. can u imagine how much pressure they have to undergo in the society when ppl ask them questions?'

i was like, WTH! In this age, a girl from my own generation thinks like that! God save the world!

5. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

EPL- smile, nod and IGNORE is the best way to go about it. To be asked poked waterboarded about kids after you get married is as natural as breathing.
    And the issues with FIL , listen nod move on, once you are married it really imp to learn fake a fake facade.
    If you do have time please go through some the threads here about women dealing with manipulative /opinionated PILs, it definitely will give you some insight. And as the other poster said time will definitely teach you.
    As long as you and DH are on the same page, rest can be easily dealt with.

6. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

My two cents since yo are asking advice- you are a grown woman and your husband a grown man. Its about time you guys act like it. your FIL in your own words is "opinionated" but is it not time he back off his son's life and let him take care of his life? Not only did he make all decisions about the wedding etc, not he wants to get into your bedroom and micromanage there too.

OP- you can never please everyone. So untimately you (and your husband) will have to take a stand if you want to lead your life. Its about time your FIL start letting his son take charge of his life.

If he keeps pestering like RPVAIL said ask him to back off. Otherwise, since he is planning to give no privacy to your both once he is here, put the blame on him saying how will there be a baby if you dont give us any breathing space :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

Diva :hiya how's you.

Usually asking your PILs to back off or that matter any kinda reasoning with opinionated PILs only leads to more power struggle and bucket loadsa drama.
    And esp if visiting India, it isn't easy to answer to every relative/friend that comes your way so it's easier to smile ignore and move on with life.

1 person likes this.
  8. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

EatPrayLove , I know about the opinionated FIL since I have one too. Not just in his family, even if he marries a girl from his family into another family, he expected that the grooms family would listen to him.

You guys are young and you need to be mentally ready to have a kid and take care of it. This current generation is aware of all being emotional/financially ready before having a baby , but the earlier generation JUST had the baby (no thinking).

I know you dont want to hurt your FIL , but in the process you guys may get hurt. It may seem difficult to be forceful to explain to the elders that you want to have the baby later, but you dont have a choice. You need to be firm and tell them that you guys will have a baby when time is right.

Good Luck with the trip.

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

I wud suggest.. if they talk to you directly then mention.. ok we'll start thinking and acting over it but just give us sometime. We're open about it but don't want to turn into a project... wud prefer if its a surprise.

Both of you've already fallen for your parents pressure to get married at 24,25 so they're expecting the baby shud be coming anytime soon and in another 2-3 yrs next baby... its endless..

You might be blaming ONLY your FIL... but are you sure he's not just a loud speaker with feeds from his wife? My PILs had offered for a divorce for no child at 3rd anniv... only to me... but to their son they wud say... its ok ppl have kids even much later in life... no issues.... we also had common consensus on when and how to have .. but some PILs are simply too slimy to leave their son and DIL confused.

Also pls never ever mention to PILs that you want to spend more time tog or understand each other better... cos thats what not most of them want.. super strengthening of marital relationship... .they want lady to get busy with child ... conflicts on parenting stress..... son back to them... DIL not getting used to extended PRICESS treatment, career , finance and freedom........... lastly on their mind is deformity if kids come at later age.... They're mostly looking for a small child to give a company to their aging process... cos finally the work and responsibilities are on the child's immediate parents.

10. EatPrayLove

divorce??? WTH! sigh, i can never fathom how the minds of some ppl work..

oh well, regarding starting a family - MIL is equally vocal in voicing her thoughts too.. their arguments:

1. No happiness that is obtained on time is real happiness. Delay will only bring you relief.
    2. When you dispose when God proposes, God WILL dispose when you seek.
    3. You are both young - you both are in the prime of your age, health and energy so now is the right time.
    4. Complications arise in late pregnancies.
    5. We are getting old and so are your parents, (IL: 60, 55; Parents: 52, 47) so we can come and help you during your delivery and later for raising your kid only when we are healthy and have the stamina.
    6. You guys are spendthrifts - once a baby comes along you will learn to be more responsible.

This is all I can think of. Well, I don't think none of the above are the right reasons to have a baby. You should feel you are ready and happily welcome one into the family. I honestly don't think parents or in-laws have any right to question this - after all it involves the privacy of a couple I don't know what makes them think it gives them the right to ask personal questions like that - and worse give unsolicited advice and instructions!