1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing Our Kids For A School Shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Rihana, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Agathinai

Agathinai Gold IL'ite

I don’t have much suggestions except the DHS general advice. Reinforce mostly whatever the standard protocol says at home. In school if carrying phone always make sure it’s in silent mode.
    Run, hide, fight: Answering your questions about active shooting protocol

Maybe have a protocol printout in home. It’s useful as a gentle reminder for emergencies anywhere.

5E181469-7D40-4FF0-AA70-4BA9EA78B165.jpeg

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

3. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

@Rihana, this may not directly answer your question in this thread. But I listened to this very interesting podcast where the guest star was a mother who lost her 4 yr old son at a US school shooting. She has started a movement called "choose love" movement and has dedicated a big part of life to it.

I learnt a lot from the podcast. I want to listen to it again and actually take notes. It was how about to teach kindness to children:
    Kindness Can Be Taught. Here's How

This was what took me aback: Quoting from the podcast:

"Most kids value success and achievement more than caring for others, according to Harvard's Making Caring Common project. Who is to blame? We are."

"In fact, about 80 percent of children believed their parents were more concerned about good grades and their kids' careers than whether they were caring towards others."

"And the parents, on the other hand, they got surveyed, too. And they didn't realize this. They were totally wrong about the message that they thought their kids were getting."

"But the problem for kids is that there are also a lot of barriers to kindness. For example, there's a small study of 2-year-olds who were exposed to another child's distress. Say, a friend fell down on the playground. Only about one-third of the kids actually responded in that moment with altruism, with kindness by, say, going over to the child, offering a hug, calling for an adult."
    Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement™

- And my mind is rife with questions. I think I am "teaching" my kid kindness through words. But do I act it? every time ? and that too consistently? At get-togethers I've noticed that when one child is in distress - most parents have their hands full keeping their own kid out of trouble/entertained/fed. Usually everyone eyes scans for the responsible parent. If not there, then only someone helps. It's all a practical decision.

- A few times I've seen an old person or a disabled person struggle to push their hand wheeled chair to cross the street. If the street is not flat - one can see the person really struggle. I know I've told myself if I didn't have a kid in the car seat I would go help. Again "practicality" wins over kindness.

Sorry for changing the direction of your thread. But this mother's brave decision really made me think. Teaching our kids and ourselves to be kind to everyone in our vicinity - might help reach those with mental health problems.

KashmirFlower and Srama like this.