preparing idly batter

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by han412, Jun 6, 2014.

1. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I learnt how to make idly batter at home. But the idlis never came out as soft as with ID readymade batter. Now I am thinking to try again. Is it worth the effort? How many people prepare at home or buy readymade batter?
    Can you share how to prepare? I stay in Bangalore so please guide me regarding fermentation time too. Also I don't have a dosa grinder and will be using a mixie.

2. seekingbless

seekingbless Platinum IL'ite

i use mixie too.
    my measurement is 2 cups raw rice and 1 cup ponni raw rice and one cup of urad. and a table spoon of fenugreek. if u use ponni rice, u will need to soak the rice little longer like 6 hours. or else for normal rice 3 hours will do.
    so total 3 cups of rice and one cup of urad (ratio 3:1).
    for fermenting, i kept the batter for 8 hours at normal room temperature.

my mother's tips: do not keep the batter pan on mosaic or tiled kitchen top for fermenting as it will get cold during nite and delay the fermentation. she ask me to keep the batter pan on the stove.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

I also use mixie.....my measurement is 3 cups rice,1 cup urddhal, 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds and 1 cup poha soak all these together in hot water and let it soak for 4 to 5 hours....later grind it with hot water and while fermenting mix 1 big spoon of previous day's batter and leave it for fermentation....

2 people like this.
  4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Few more tips
    1. Use batter in room temperature
    2. Consistency of batter should NOT be too thick (not too runny either)
    3. Grinding cooked rice will also give soft idlies.
    4. for mixie, ratio would be 2.5 rice: 1 urud dal : 0.5 cupcooked rice (cook 1/2 cup rice, and add the entire cooked rice)
    5. Add little fenugreek
    6. Steam for 7 to 10 mins, and not more than this
    7. Do not leave the cooked idlies on the plates for more than 1-2 mins. As soon as the stand is out, you could rince the back with water, leave it for a min, and remove idlies immediately. Else they will become too thick

Hope these tips help

4 people like this.
  5. bugatti

bugatti New IL'ite

Most of us might have heard about the idli maker kitchen appliance.

6. FromMars

FromMars Gold IL'ite

I have had not so great results if urad dal is soaked for more than 3 hours. I soak rice earlier and soak urad dal before 3 hours of grinding with fenugreek seeds.

Ratio if rice and urad dal is 3:1

I grind urad dal first and while grinding dont add much water. Just sprinkle as and when it needs it.

I havent tried with mixer, so, can't comment on it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

I make idlis /dosa just twice a month don't think I will buy an appliance for infrequent use.

8. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

1 more question pls bear with me. I have decided to use readymade batter for idlis (as the idlis come out softer) and make dosa batter at home. The recipe is the same for idly/dosa batter. Just the consistency differs. Am I right?

9. umasivasankar

umasivasankar IL Hall of Fame

i usually put in this ratio only 3:3/4.3 cups of raw rice n 3/4 cup of urad dhall(200grms:50grms)soak it for 4-5hrs n grind it .leave it overnight for fermentation.(if u grind it by 5pm)add some water to the batter when u gonna make idli r dosa it would be very soft...try it

1 person likes this.
  10. muthu21

muthu21 Gold IL'ite

hi i use boiled rice for making the batter.. ratio of rice to urad is 4:1.. when i was in bangalore it used to be 3:1.. plus a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds..
    even i love the ID special batter.. for idli i grind urad first then rice and lastly combine both.. for dosa i grind both together along with a cup of raw rice (ratio of boiled rice:raw rice:urad is 3:1:1)
    thanks..

1 person likes this.