1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing For High School Education In Usa

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by WINMEENA, Mar 2, 2017.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

It does get better..hang in there!

kkrish and momsky like this.
  2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl - Thank you for the tag. Wrong parent to tag! I've never done anything other than cutting and sticking project board for science fair :)

I don't even know what this common core is.

@WINMEENA - I think the curriculum differ from state to state and even school district to school district. From experience, if the parents around you are telling you now that high school work load is more then it probably is.
    My DD comes home with 4-5 hrs of home work from an IB high school program. My niece who is in the same grade in an IB private school in NY has about an hour or two of hw max. My friends children doing the exact same IH courses in India also have a better load.

Our school district basically is like this. No matter how hard you try and how many times you write to the school board, go see them personally, attend board meetings, they don't change. From personal experience - if the district you are in fits the above description then better to move to one where the kids don't have that much of a load. I didn't do my due diligence as a parent. I wish I had done it like you are doing here and received information. I would have been better informed and have made better schooo district choices.

Reg extra curriculars, my daughter was a part of a sports club when she was in elementary/middle school. Club teams are very competitive and help the kids get into school teams. She is now in the school team. Being in a team sport has its positives and negatives. They build sportsmanship and team spirit. They also develop a very close bond with their team mates. It helps forge bonds.

The down side it that they miss classes regularly for school sponsored sporting events. Some events are two days long. My DD once missed the entire first chapter on trigonometry in math. They are given excused absence but they aren't given time to make up for missed lessons. They have to show up the next day with the home work done even if it was an absence for a school sponsored event. I don't agree with this policy but that's how most schools I've heard about handle this.

Reg math - The three levels @kkrish mentioned are what I've seen around here. The exception is that geometry and trigonometry are clubbed together. AP statistics is available with IB Pre calculus in the 11th grade and then you get to do IB math in 12th(HL or SL).

There are exams available to skip math grades. I personally didn't allow my DD to skip a grade in math. My point was that the exam is grade level and then they head into an honors level course for the next year in IB. No amount of tutoring will give the child the experience if sitting in a class for an entire year and learning it. Besides if you pass an on level exam and are we plonked in an honors class next year you will not have a lot of things honors kids would have learned. In the long run, it isn't beneficial.

Our middle school offered a variety of courses to kids that cater to high school credits or are trial classes for high school. Technology and language are two such things. Mine took foreign language in the middle school and earned HS credit for it. She also loved the Lang she chose and continued it in high school.

IB is a set curriculum so there is just slot for one or two additional class for kids. If they opt for a sport then they have only one slot to pick another class. Kids pick what they prefer but have figured out which ones are gpa worthy.

In our district a lot of us have gotten together to abolish class rank. If your school district has class rank then understand how it works. Some districts have top 10th percentile students getting into the state univ with a full ride scholarship. Some have guaranteed admissions. Some unis don't show any distinction between IB and regular HS. Some do give higher weightage to IB students. It's best to know what your state schools are like I didn't know all this. It's good for parents to know before supporting a kids decision on HS curriculum to choose.

Do feel free to ask questions.

Thank you everyone for the inputs and questions. It's definitely helpful.

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

As @Laks09 mentioned, different states, different cities, and different counties have slight differences in the overall curriculum. However, they are not too different.

Magnet schools: General description of a magnet school is , "a public school offering special instruction and programs not available elsewhere, designed to attract a more diverse student body from throughout a school district."
    You may be able to get admission by living in that school zone, or via lottery program.
    The advantages are your child will have more choices of subjects than other schools. Do weigh in the pros and cons of applying for magnet schools versus your zone school.

We did not send our children to magnet schools.

AP(Advanced Placement) classes
    All schools throughout the US offer AP classes (Advanced Placement) The courses are quite rigorous and the child can earn college credit by passing these exams.

Important warning: many parents urge their kids to take all the AP courses available, thinking that colleges will waive them all. This way they will save money and shorten graduation time in Universities.
    It is not so. Universities allow credits only for limited number of courses.
    When we attended the first day orientation for one of our kids, another young man was in tears. He had taken all AP classes, but the University had asked him to take some classes again.

This is where I want to bring in the matter of "studying hard".
    Parents who do not know the limited number of college credits universities give, do push their children to take all AP classes. These courses are not cakewalk.This could be one reason that children do not have much time.

So be vigilant on what AP classes the child will benefit taking and what can be ordinary classes.

IB (International Baccalaureate)

IB programs are found all around the world and offered in selective schools in all states in the US.

This is what the website says comparing the AP and IB programs:
    https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...over-the-difference-between-ap-and-ib-classes

So if your child finds it difficult in an IB program moving the child to AP courses is best.

Governor's school
    For those parents in Virginia (and perhaps North Carolina too), your state offers what is known as the Governor's program.

Children in 11th and 12th grade from many schools attend classes in specialized vocational training schools and are selected based on their high performance in 9th and 10th grades.
    They have what are called "streams" - medical, engineering, computer science.

Children who have aptitude for any of these fields attend classes. They are placed with mentors in companies, organizations, hospitals, etc. to give them "real world" experience and receive credit.

STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) Schools
    Here is an excerpt about STEM schools.
    "The National Consortium of Secondary STEM Schools (NCSSS) is an alliance of specialized high schools in the United States whose focus is to foster, support, and share the efforts of STEM-focused schools whose primary purpose is to attract and academically prepare students for leadership in mathematics, science, engineering, and technology. The Consortium supports unique professional development programs for STEM teachers and unique learning experiences for students.

The NCSSS was established in 1988 to provide a forum for member schools to exchange information and program ideas and to evolve alliances among them. As of June 2010, there are over 90 institutional members, representing more than 40,000 students and 1,600 educators. These are joined by over 30 affiliate members such as colleges, universities, summer programs, and corporations who share the goal of transforming STEM education.[1]"

More information pertaining to your state here: NCSSS - Wikipedia
    That is it. The many high school options. I may not have covered all, but these are all that I know of.

4. Laks09

Even that depends on the district. In ours the IB load is less than the AP load. We moved her to the regular HS and she was back in IB in two weeks.

sindmani, justanothergirl and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I see.
    Thats good to know. In my area parents have moved kids the other way :)

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Laks09

There is one HS in our district that meets all of our safety criteria and has an even load. I didn't know about that when we bought the house.
    Anyway, when kids are in smaller grades we look at star ratings and people raving about the good quality of HS. When the child gets there is when we realize that all that glitters isn't gold!

I'm putting this out there so people know before getting stuck.

The best part is my DD really likes the IB program. She doesn't want to move away. The mom in me is definitely not happy about this. Im doing the rounds of private special needs schools for my son.

sindmani, kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Walking the thin line...

High school is stressful especially 11th grade and the first semester of 12th grade.

It is at this grade level that:
    • the "noose" tightens a bit more - the course loads are heavier
    • Most of the AP exams are taken
    • the kids have a last shot at SAT if they want to improve on previous scores
    • the kids start internship programs and summer programs which means they should be very organized, know to manage time better
    • if they have to improve their GPA, they need to work harder
    • they begin applying for many scholarships
    • they begin applying for college admissions
    Getting admissions to other top ranking Universities that do not fall in the range of MIT, Cal-tech, Stanford, and the other original eight IVY leagues, is still very competitive.

All good universities, which includes state universities have limited number of seats and these universities also give first preference to top performers.

Quoting @justanothergirl 's ex-boss
    While the above statement is true to a certain extent, I would not have my child relax during high school. Also I would not encourage parents to get into the idea that any university degree is good enough.

Let's say your child gets an MBA with an "A" from your state university, and competes with an MBA with a "C" from Harvard, who do you think will get the job? Yes, a C from Harvard is always preferred to an "A" from a lesser university.

This is when parents begin walking the thin line.
    While on one side we should encourage our children to aim high and work towards getting admissions into IVY leagues we also need to know, understand, and accept their limitations.

We do not want our children to "burn-out". Passing out of high school in only the beginning, not the end.

I apologize if I have given conflicting information at the end. Unfortunately, that is how it is when it comes to handling our children's teen years and guiding them towards their future.

Personal note: After all this you must wonder what my children are upto :) My children did not attend IVY league schools for undergrad. However, they aimed to get into those schools and in the process got into their choice of state universities.
    My elder son went on to an IVY league for his Masters and PhD. My younger one took time off to work and is now in the process of determining his Masters options.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Thanks so much for the post about walking the thin line @kkrish. Much needed esp for moms like me who constantly double guess . I live in an area which is very competitive and we have lost one too many kids to academic pressure. The schools come down very hard now if they see that its not the child but the parent pushing . In fact in my high school they dont encourage parents to choose courses etc ..they strictly keep it between kids and teachers . When pushy parents bombard the counsellors with things their kids can or cannot do..they push back firmly and say..let ur child come and talk to us in person. I prefer it that way. The child signs up for what he thinks he can handle and they more often than not do keep their end of the bargain.

Ofcourse totally with u on that sometimes u have to aim for the stars if u atleast have to make it the moon.

For degrees like MBA and Law where its as much about networking and connections as it is about the degree the school u go to matters but for other degrees like Eng..it doesn't matter. At least not the valley. No one actually cares as long as u deliver. Of course its another thing that most kids who do make it into IVY leagues and other good schools are automatically very driven and sharp so they do well later in life but there is no inherent bias at the time of hiring.

Even if the OP never returns I am glad we had an opportunity to talk about these things.

sindmani, alady2018, Laks09 and 3 others like this.
  9. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

Any idea about feasibility of some programs where top universities have tieup with community colleges and student from community college can get a transfer to the university after 2 years strictly on merit ?

kkrish likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the response @justanothergirl .
    Yes, I understand.

In fact I was very hesitant to write about this because I did not know how it will be received, especially the Harvard MBA comparison.
    But that is just from what I have observed happen to the children that have grown up where I live.

Besides, I would not be able to sleep well if I did not caution the parents about the thin line.

I have seen children get "burnt out" by the time they leave high school which is one extreme of parent pushing.

On the other extreme there are parents who are lackadaisical about what their children study.
    One High School valedictorian chose humanities for college. Nothing wrong in that. But now, almost 10 years later, her parents worry that she is not happy in any of the jobs - her intelligence is wasted on the type of job offers she receives; she is bored as a result, and unhappy. They have openly said they wished they guided her correctly.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    sindmani, Laks09, SunPa and 1 other person like this.