1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pregnant women and dental problems

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Dr.Niran, May 19, 2008.

1. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

How many pregnant women have dental problems?Please post your concerns.

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

many women have gum problems by the age of 20 and when they become pregnant the case turns worse can u give any advice to them, some after the menopause the gums start bleeding and becomes more filled with infection has it any connection to menopause...kindly guide us doctor..sunkan

3. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

Gum problems during pregnancy occurs due to the hormonal changes in a woman's body. Since these are hormone influenced all we can do is brush and floss everyday to maintain oral hygiene.Also, it is better to have your teeth cleaned before planning to become pregnant. Salt water gargling will be of immense help too.

For women who are reaching menopause or in the phase of it will have issues with gums. This again is due to the hormonal changes. Maintaining proper brushing habits will be of great help. Also, multivitamins and calcium supplements will help.

All we can control are the external factors such as brushing and maintaining oral hygiene.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear niran,
    could you advice as to what tooth paste to choose to save from cavity and gum problems there are many who suffer from gum problems and too many wisdom tooth, i want you to explain about this, why is it so that some of them get too many..sunkan

5. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

Good question. It's very common for people to think that toothpaste is the underlying problem. But it's not. Any toothpaste is good if used in the right way. Also, cavities arise mainly due to food habits, and to many people's surprise it is also genetic to some extent.
    Talking about the wisdom tooth, quite a few of them have problems with it. Some do not have space in their mouth for it to come out, or its not in upright position. But once you know a wisdom tooth is trying to come out, please do the following: try to keep that area as clean as possible by brushing that spot really well because this will prevent infection which is very common to occur. It's better to get your wisdom teeth examined by a dentist to prevent problems in future. Please let me know if you need any further info.
    Thanks,
    Niran

6. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

niren,
    to widen the insight to many of the problems i would appreciate if you go ahead and start writing about the common problems faced by indian ladies all over the world and children health how that can be saved and so on, this way, it would be like a police officer writng about many cases, a doctor sharing many episodes how he went about doing so and so things, it would be like reading a magazine pertaining to all dental problems and i am sure you will be tapping a lot many here into asking you about various problems. dental and its visit is still a taboo due to inappropriate exposure, or the intolerable pain that one experiences..so it would be great to get some information about teeth, another question is what to do for people who are unable to have an appropriate denture due to very thin base that cannot hold the dentures, what kind of treatment is best suitable or what kind of procedure should be taken to have dentures at least for going out if not for eating..sunkan

7. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Hello Madam, (Apologies for misunderstanding)
    I totally agree with Sunkan's comment here. I went through all yours posts. And I believe there is very brief material on topic than the quentionare session.

For sites like IL, it will be good idea to start with some general problems and cure. Not everyone comes out with their issue right away.

Ria

8. Dr.Niran

Dr.Niran New IL'ite

Hello,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I am starting to work on it. But my idea of posting the questions is to bring the problems from your side and give answers to it. I felt this would be very effective. Since there are a lot of dental problems, i thought going by topics would help everyone being organized. Also,just to let you know I am a lady too.
    Ria, once again I thank you for your valuable suggestions.

Thanks,
    Niran

9. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Sure Madam.

My bad . I mistook ur Id for a male. I edited the above comment to reflect the same.

Ria