Pregnancy Experience

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by MOM 2 BE, Dec 27, 2007.

1. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Hello everybody:

I am 7 weeks pregnant and undergoing severe symptoms. I was prescribed a prenatal by my nurse and that makes my symptoms worse. Last week i would manage eating some food but after i have started with the prenatal tablet, i have started strong aversions for food. i cant stand the cooking smell. cant enter the kitchen. If i cook something it tastes bad. I feel like throwing every bit i eat...
    So have stopped taking the prenatal tablet since 2 days, and i am managing to eat a little again. But i am worried coz, in this initial stage,its vital to be on prenatal's, isnt it ?
    Plz let me know what do i do.

Also they say that 1st trimester is very imp and that we have to eat well, but i am unable to touch food or see it even. i cant stand apple too.. so i just drink some soups or some liquid rice... but my diet is not at all to what i should be eating in the 1st trimester. I am worried about my baby, and its supply of nutrients...

Most of you are experienced, so it would be very nice if you could post your Pregnancy Experiences-- Trimester wise, how was it like, what did u do for certain things, how did u make urself eat, about prenatals, etc and all...
    So people like me, get some courage to handle things...

Thanks a ton in advance...

Love,
    MOM 2 BE.

2. preeti09

preeti09 New IL'ite

Hi MOM 2 BE....

Congratulations on ur pregnancy ...
    Its very common to have all the symptoms which u have mentioned during 1st trimester .... Even i have gone through all these things ..i was not able to eat anything ,so had lost my weight ... nothing to worry... but dont stop taking prenatal tablets , they are the power house of vitamins ...
    As u enter into ur second trimester u will feel good .. u get hungry .. eat alot, i really mean it ...

dont worry take it easy .... try to eat something watever u like ...

3. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear mom to be
    congrats.as u r 1st time mom u will cherish each month & these r the memories mothers speak about whole their life' like how i survived only on soups during 1st trimester or how i hated dal etc.
    so, though this 1st trimester is very tough but it is also very enjoyable as u keep on remembering that a little miracle is happening & that too made by you.so enjoy.
    donot worry about the baby.baby will get all the nutritions it need from ur body which is enough for it.take prenatal vits as they r very very imp.
    eat atleast 5 fruits.as far as i am concerned fruits r the only thing i was able to digest during 1st three mths.also ,try some dry fruits .
    above all be positive .soon u will be able to predict at what time u get sickness & what triggers it .it may help u to prevent it.also,sometimes we do feel better after a bout of throwing.
    love
    pragati

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

hi, welcome to the club:) what you're going through is very very normal. sometimes what we read in books, hear from others about eating well right from day one of conception is not practical. each one's body reacts differently to this whole complex process of pregnancy. i was in your shoes when pregnant with my son and again now (i just crossed the first trimester). i gained no weight and felt so weak all the time. stop thinking about eating apple, salad etc., etc., see what you like the most to eat/drink... milk, hot chocolate, some biscuits things like that. ofcourse don't go overboard and binge on sweet things and junk all the time... find what you seem to like the best. my first pregnancy i survived on bread and nutella for lunch even and only yogurt rice for dinner. once your second trimester starts you'll have a good appetite and start enjoying food. that time you can start to regulate what and what not to eat. as for pre-natal vitamins, yes they're very vital. if they don't suit you in the morning try my style... before bed-time. my doc said it was fine. hope my points help:) and remember you're nauseating cos the placenta is developing at this stage and your system is preparing to help the baby develop well and healthily:)

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi momtobe,
    Congrats! Now first of all cheer up and dont worry so much abt nutrition at this point. Most women do not gain any weight (plenty of us even lose a few kgs) in the first trimester and it does no harm to the baby. Your baby is only a few inches long and certainly does not need you to eat a lot. He/she will take all that she needs from your body. Make sure you dont get dehydrated (call your doc if you cant keep even fluids down) and do try to take the vitamins. Check if your prenatals have iron - that can worsen the nausea and is not absolutely necessary in the first trimester. As Latha said try changing the timing of the vitamins -I used to split them up - Calcium in the afternoon and Iron/Folic acid at night. This will go away in another 5 -6 weeks and your appetite will return in full force and you will feel so much better. It may help you to know that as med students we were taught that the stronger the nausea/vomiting the better the baby was settling into the uterus and lower the chances of miscarriage, so you are suffering for a good cause!

Vanathi.

6. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Dear preeti, pragati, traveller, vanathi,

Thank you so much for all your soothing words, feels very good. Thank you!:thankyou2:

Regards,
    MOM 2 BE.

7. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi momtobe,

I completely agree with others. Being a first time experience was good ad something to cherish. Every week something new happens, so its ok :)

Now I am becoming so clumsy after 33 weeks that tying my shoe knot itself takes 15 mins.
    I also had lost more than 3 kgs during first trimester, during the third trimester, I am gaining some weight.

Cheerup. All the best and take care

8. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Dear Mom to be,

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

During my trimester, I was not able to think of anything else except the baby. I used to sit and dream about the baby and wonder if its a boy or a girl all the time. I used to hate my own cooked food, so I can understand when you say that your food tastes bad. I felt that I could eat better when someone else did the cooking. So, if you have any friends close by, feel free to invite yourself over to their place. :queen. Or if your husband can cook, nothing like it.

Also, the thought that the nausea would go down after 12 weeks kept me going. And my doc said that nausea is a symptom that the pregnancy was healthy. So I didn't feel like complaining after that. :).

Second trimester has been OK till last week. Now I am on week 22 and have started developing low back ache. I woudl say the 4th and 5th month are very good. You eat well. You are not very inflexible. As ptamil said, after a few more weeks, it will start taking ages to do even our routine tasks. I cut veges for 45 minutes, you won't believe it. (I take a break every ten minutes :queen)

Do take your prenatals, as they give the required nourishment that you lack by way of food. You should like any odourless food like curd rice, idlis or banana. Try these.

Good luck and take care.

9. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Dear Ptamil, Geeta_satish,

Thank you so much for your reply.

Ptamil, you are so close now! Another 6 to 7 weeks thats all! U must be all very excited ? The big grand day is at the door step. All the best and will pray for you.

Geeta_satish, u r right, the thought of the baby keeps us going.

But, you know what, my nurse asked me to stop the prenatal tablet, when i could not eat a single thing. She said, right now my eating food is crucial than the tablet. Since the day i have stopped taking it, i feel very much better and am able to eat regular food. So i guess the symptoms were only coz of the tablet and not otherwise. Some how feeling lucky, do not wanna have any of those symptoms again :)....
    My nurse said, after the 1st trimester she will work on what tablet i will have to take. For now, i am just taking Folic Acid 400mcg each day.

Okay u all take very good care of yourself. And thanks again!

Love,
    MOM 2 be.

10. manisha.sanjay

manisha.sanjay Gold IL'ite

HI,

i m also in my 7week n having same signs.i get hungry n think of food that i want to eat n my hubby tries to make or buy it for me but as it comes in front of me i hate eating it.fruits i m not able to eat.even water i don't like to drink.
    due to all above signs i got high ketone bodies in urine n was hospitalised n kept on fluid for 4 days.now i m o.k. but still feeling weak,no strength n sleepy all the time.i m having 2n half yr daughter n she is also not getting attention due to my sickness.
    anyway my hubby is taking lots of care but due to this weakness n sickness i m not able to enjoy the pregnancy.i m taking tablets 2 times a day bfore food to avoid vomitting.

:bangcomp: