Pregnancy and Chicken Guinea (Chikungunya)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sree3, Dec 4, 2009.

1. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Dear People. My Wife, who is now 36 weeks along her pregnancy caught this chicken guinea (chikungunya) fever since yesterday night :cry:, let's call it CG going forward.

Yesterday while on call, she was complaining about severe joint pains and rash, I brushed it off saying these are pregnancy perks. well, on searching i found other pregnant women had similar complaints and so we decided those were those. Later in the morning (IST), she went to the Doctor and they said its the CG Fever. Everything was goign so well until yesterday.

From web, I gathered that, the severity and duration of this fever is usually less in Pregnant Women and youth. There is highes risk of the infections being transmitted to the baby, if the mother has the virus in blood during delivery. She's now 36 weeks.

Another thing is that, we have been expeting the baby would be delivered normally, without a CSection, but the Dr upon doing some physical examination today, said her cervix or pelvic (not sure which), is too narrow and is better if we under went a C-Section. She asked us to choose any date after dec 15th. Is this okay? Only question I have in regards with this is, are we giving the baby enough window/oppurtunity to grow?

Dear people, please let me know/suggest if you or anybody you know has/had going/gone through similar situation. Thank You very much for guiding us all along the pregnancy.

--Sree.

2. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Sree

If your wife has not had any pelvic accident or had rickets which is a vit D disorder, her pelvis would be normal. Please get a second opinion , this is not at a reason at all and is the most flimisiest reason for having a c-section.

Deepa

3. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Deepa. Thanks for the quick response. No, she has not had any pelivc accidents. Rickets (On googleing, i found it to be a condition where bones turn softer), no such history aswell. She drinks and has been drinking two glasses of milk daily since her childhood, so I would not think her to be having this either.

Okay,sure. yes I will ask her to get a second opinion (her present doctor does not welcome questions much).

Only concerns i/we have with C-Section are,
    1) Baby not getting full oppurtunity to grow.
    2) Her tummy looking like a 5 month pregnant even after delivery.

Also, please let us know if you have seen anybody suiffering CG fever while pregnant. Like how it turned out at the end. Thank You very much Deepa. Greatly appreciate your time in every post of mine.

--Sree.

4. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Sree

I spoke to Dr. Mallika samuel of Apollo and she says that right now there is almost no risk for the baby. Its important for the mother to be monitored and have platelet and titre count done. She said that you must meet a good physician who would check all this. Also if the mother is coping well she can go upto term.

YOu know this cant be treated as medical advice but as a direction or a guideline that you can follow.

Your wife is in Hyd right?

you can contact Dr.Vijaya Krishnan ( she is not a GYN) at Lamaze Classes in India, Natural Childbirth, The Sanctum, Birthing Center in India, Prenatal Classes, Breastfeeding support, Newborn Care for doctor recommendation

or fernandez hospital in Abids also has good docs fro secnd opinion.

Also see this http://www.chikungunya.in/frequently-asked-questions-on-chikungunya.shtml

Deepa

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  5. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Hi Deepa. Very kind of you to have contacted your doctor friends about this Deepa, really I (we both) greatly appreciate your help. Am on call as I make this post, and my wife says her temperature is getting down. Highest recorded temp i guess is/(was) 102 degrees.

Her OBGyn, checked heartbeat. She suggested rest, "Dolo" tablet to control temperature and pains. I asked if she had ordered for any blood work, but she said the doctor advised not to get any blood tests taken in the current condition (not even blood sugar tests).
    Worries:
    *CG Fever in Pregnant Women might lead to ,
    a. miscarriage - my wife is past this stage, so no worries.
    b. pre-term labor - my wife is in 36th week now, so sustaining another one-two weeks, we will be past this worry too.
    c.Transmitting - If mother carries virus (referred to as Verimic) at the time of delivery,40%chances are the virus gets transmitted to the baby - here's the worry. Websites say diagnosign anything in babies is difficult and hence worrisome.
    *She has unbearable joint pains (understandable given this CG fever), but thats hard.

Yes, Deepa she is in hyderabad now. Will pass the telephone numbers for the doctors to her and have her/some one contact the doctors and get the platelete/titer counts done. Thanks a lot for the links and info.

And, yes Deepa everything collect form web should not be considered as a medical advise, instead guidelines, valuable ones. Thanks once again. I will keep posting the updates.

--Sree.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  6. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends and Deepa. Quick update.
    My Wife's fever is totally gone and body pains have subsided to a decent extent. Two days ago when i made the post, she hardly was able to talk , now she's much better. Thanks Deepa.

-_Sree.

7. lavii

lavii Gold IL'ite

Sree
    thats a good news
    dont worry everything will be fine soon
    and you will have your healthy baby in hands

8. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Great to hear that. I am happy she can go to term.

Deepa

9. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Thank You very much Lavi. Thank Deepa.

Frends. Things seem to be taking a new trun (hope they do not), Doctors now suspect Dengue fever attack. Blood samples were collected. Should be knowing the results today.

--sree.

10. sree3

sree3 Bronze IL'ite

Flash: Dengue Fever tests were negative.

Thank You.