1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Preemie & Pounds

Discussion in 'Infants' started by AnithaPartha, Feb 18, 2010.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hey Ladies,

Rithik is 10pounds now & doc asked to reduce milk :)
    But the problem is we are giving him only 80ml every 3hrs - 8 times a day but still he is not getting enough.. He wnats more say 100ml for every 3hrs..

Already wt gain is going more so docs asking to reduce but Rithi cries.. What to do?

He is 2.5mon old now..

I read somewhere that preemies usually gain wt more in the intial round and then increase very slowly after sometime so am planning to give him as usual and increase when he cries more for milk..

Anybody faced?

2. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Your child is just 2.5 months so you should be exclusively breastfeeding. As long as you are giving him only breastmilk, I dont think too much can cause him harm. Mother's milk contains just the right amount of everything and cant bring harm to the child. Even if the child drinks excess of what is needed, I dont think it would cause any health risks. Please ask your doctor to explain why he has asked you to restrict milk. Tell us too.. I always believe that breast milk is the best

However, if you are formula feeding, I am not so sure it would be right to overfeed. Statistics say that formula milk can make your child tend to become obese

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  3. AnithaPartha

Sofi,

My baby was just 4pounds & 4oz when he was born. He lost 1pound or so after birth.. But then in a month he was his double the birth wt.. And in recent visit he was 10 pounds.. Basically, preemies will gain wt so easily than normal babies to catch up their wt.. but my son is gaining more & more so doc asked to keep his levels to 80ml every 3hr

4. shyl

shyl Senior IL'ite

Anitha, Why did the doc suggest to reduce milk. Specifically since your LO is only 2.5months, I would be very concerned to reduce milk if he is demanding more. Please elaborate as to why the doctor suggested so.

5. AnithaPartha

Shyl,

1. Always there is a limit for milk level.
    2. Excess milk will come out from LO tummy.
    3. Excess milk may cause more spitups.
    4. Once we gave 100ml to R and it went inside his wind pipe after an hr when I laid him down in his diaper changing table which is very dangerous thing
    5. Its more risk to feed LO more milk than required

In order to avoid these issues doc asked me to reduce milk in take.. Not reduced too much and all.. Am giving him 80ml and wt gain is also correct. Infact my son is gaining too much wt.. For preemie wt gain is normal seems.. First 2-3mon they will gain like anything and later mon wt increase will be minimal compared to now..

Hope this helps !!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  6. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Hi Anita

old thread but seeking inputs for my twins

they were 1.5 and 1.3 kg resp (preemie)...now after 6 weeks, just reached 2.16 and 2 kg resp...we r adding fortification to BM (expressed) and giving formula..again every 3 hrs (same schedule as yours)...both are being given 45-50 ml now...

my concern is, if wt gain is easier why have is the weight gain not significant so far..?? any tips to increase the same...

a friend's twin is now 5 kgs plus in 2nd month...

7. AnithaPartha

Hi SSM,

Till 8months I gave my breastmilk for my DS. In 2nd month itself he started putting on wt.. Do check with your pead.. what is that fortification?