Preemie delivery: A first hand account

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by antosuhanya, Jun 17, 2012.

1. antosuhanya

antosuhanya Senior IL'ite

HI ALL,

I am new to IL. my single purpose as of now is to share my experience with my preemie daughter who was in a hospital for 2months+ and is safely home. this thread aims to share first hand account of me and my hubby with our daughter who was born 850gms and in 26 weeks gestation (scan)/ 27 weeks (LMP). We were lucky that god has been kind to us to have a healthy baby. we faced almost all problems associated with Very low birth weight preemies, some fancy looking acronyms like BPD, PDA, PPH, ROP, etc alongwith neonatal jaundice, preemie weight gain issues, oxygen dependency, etc. Believe me, with good medical care, positive attitude and GOD (in whatever form u believe) preemie is easily manageable. Anyone experiencing difficulties with this are free to contact.

11 people like this.

2. arnavi

arnavi New IL'ite

God bless the baby .....

3. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Good topic suhanya. I havent seen many threads in IL discussing preemies. My DD was born 33 weeks at 1850 gms - compared to yours, she is a giant :)

Its great that she has come out of all the challenges perfectly, god bless her!

I guess what we would need to discuss more is the developmental path of a premature baby. My paed always advises to take her 'corrected age' (her orginal expected date) into account, when looking for developmental milestones like smiling, rolling over, sitting up etc. So as per her corrected age my DD is 3.5 months, while her original age is 5 months.

Share more on your experiences with this. How old is your DD now? (corrected age)

4. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

Antosuhanya,
    Your intention really needs to be appreciated. It would help not only mothers of preemie moms, but also the future moms . I have seen one of my relatives have a baby at 23 weeks and the baby did not survive. Reading your post I was like if only 4 more weeks it could have been possible. I dont want to digress but at the same time I guess my questions will help people.
    What was the reason that made you to go to delivery at 27 weeks?
    Did you see any symptoms?
    Would you like to talk more about it?
    As I type I kind of feel if you would feel the questions too personal. If you feel that i'm digressing or you dont want to answer its perfectly fine.
    Thanks and regards.God bless the little angel.

1 person likes this.
  5. vidukarth

vidukarth Platinum IL'ite

congrats suhanya.. God bless the baby with good health.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

A very noble cute thread and as someone rightly mentioned, this will be a knowledge base for future parents as well.

Appreciate your thought and God bless !

7. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Antosuhanya,
    I had a premmie boy baby too 2years back. He was given superb treatment here in USA(Hackensack medical centre) and he was fine in 2weeks(they send him home). The day before discharge, doctor requested parents to stay in hospital with kid and to take care of him the whole night and we're comfortable only, they allowed baby with us. He was born on Nov 28, 2009(supposed to be born on Jan 2010). He was 7weeks early for me. I was sailing in a smooth boat throughout my pregnancy and we cannot tell why he was born premmie(even doctors could not tell it). I had a normal delivery too by GOD's grace. Am lucky in three ways. I had a normal delivery and I was in hospital only for 3days I guess.. and daily we used to come to hospital to see our baby. Only dad & mom were allowed that time. 2nd lucky thing is, my son recovered in 2weeks(sometimes they dont allow homer for a month atleast).. 3rd lucky thing is, baby cried immediatedlty after birth(dr said it is a good sign because most of premmie don't cry seems).

After that, my pead asked us to come for weekly/monthly checkups and he started gaining wt a lot during the 1st few weeks of his home stay. Now, he is very normal & naughty like other kids. Dr maintained a chart for his wt/ht and recently dr stopped it also.

One big disadvantage is that, premmies will suffer from reflux issues. That phase was horrible for us. We made him sleep in his car seat few nights. After those days, he was very fine and started sleeping normally.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rachna

Rachna Gold IL'ite

Hi antosuhanya

i really appreciate your efforts to share all this. May God bless the baby.I am in 27th weeks and really concerned about my baby. Last scan (Doppler study) showed that there is a notch in artery, so baby's weight may be less. Possibility of preterm,IUGR baby and hypertension is there..is something i found from internet(i wish i would not have searched on net).I am really worried to think of all this.So far baby and me are fine. My doctor has given me medicine and has told that baby's growth will not be affected much.Doctor is not worried at all.

Please pray for me ladies...do share your experiences if have any idea on same

9. pri123456

pri123456 New IL'ite

Hi Anitha,

I also have premature baby born at 32 weeks and now he is 2.5 months old.Could you share some of ur experience like 1.Did u nurse him or used expressed milk(pumped milk)..2.When did u introduce solid food ,any specific brands..3.Any tips for his weight gain..4.Regarding taking the baby outdoor..5.RSV shot..
    MY baby is doing expect for weight gain ..thank god...he was in NICU for 19 days ...Please share your experience when u find time..Thanks