1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Precious stones in USA

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ramyav_cse, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

One on my moms friend is so desparate about buying jade from USA as somebody told her that we get good quality precious stones here.
    Appreciate any guidance in this regard. I live in Southern California and am not aware of any gem shows here. Are there any chain of shops that offer good quality gems?

This probably has been discussed already and request moderators to change to this to the respective thread, if required.

2. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Found the following link in some other thread:

intergem.com

They seem to have a gem show in a close by place from Feb 26-28...
    Do any of you ladies have any idea on the reliability of the displays in these shows?

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

The Chinese always have the nicest selection of jade. Why don't you go to a Chinatown and do some preshopping investigations and see what is available? BTW I bought a very bulky heavy jade necklace in Jaipur for a very low cost. I know it can't be any fabulous quality but it has a very nice color and I have had compliments on it even from Chinese friends. There is a semiprecious gem street in Jaipur they have stuff you don't know it even exists until you are there. I bought some Labradorite there: grey cut stones with colors showing up through the stone strung with silver beads.

4. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Even am looking for some information about this...

Appreciate your help

5. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I visited Chinatown in LA and looks like they dont sell jade strings in there.
    There are jewellery shows schedule available at intergems.com and Im planning to visit the one near our place by end of this month.

6. rkramadh

rkramadh New IL'ite

British Columbia (Canada) jade is one of the top jades around. I bought some in a gem and jewelry show where Mala corals was present. I think that show was hosted by InterGem (not 100% sure but they host all gem/jewelry shows around USA). I bought 12 strands of these and gave one each to my family members. Several of them have got them turned into necklaces (like a chain, not set in gold) with gold beads etc. I also bought ruby necklace from a dealer in Chicago who was at the same show. I got certificate of authentication for my peace of mind. I also got jade and ruby necklaces checked out in India and they said it was pretty good. The ruby was not like the top of the line (I paid $90 for two strand 12" necklace). Jade was of good quality according to my trusted jeweler in India. I hope I have been of some help, please check your sources carefully and buy.

7. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

I visited the jewellery show in Long Beach,CA and they had most of the semi-precious stones on sale. I got a whole lot of Garnet stones and String. I was not happy with the jade strings as the person who asked me to buy wanted to make a jewellery set which I dont think is possible with the beads that they sell. Im planning to look out in the next jewellery show for jade stones. They also had a lot of pearls on display and I did get a lot of them for a good price.
    Ive done enough shopping now to gift all my close relatives back in India... this is one gift everyone would like to have :)

8. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Awesome Ramya, your relatives will surely love the gifts..thanks for sharing.

Any idea if we can get these in Michigan(Detroit)?

9. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Sorry for replying this late...u can check out in intergem.com . They have the shows dates and venues listed down there...Happy Shopping :)