1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Preacher's breaches! (oorukku upadesam!)

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Gayathri
    The only thing we should outgrow as we grow older is our dress! The rest depends on the liver.
    Do I see anything amiss in a youngster with ashes smeared all over his forehead and muttering some slokas all the time? Never. Likewise, if I am the loudest in the club enthralling an audience of 70+, I dont think a younger person should harbour a grudge against me!
    What say you Gayathri?
    sri

2. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Bowing to your demand that I should give you all some respite from tales of old age, I am posting a very 'youthful' story today! Will keep my fingers crossed about your reactions though!
    :mrgreen: Sri
    PS: Been a bit busy for the last couple of days!

3. Cheeniya

Dear Lavanya
    Thanks for coming to my rescue!
    Unfortunately a majority of seniors reconcile themselves to a pattern of life set by their predecessors and when someone feels he doesnt have to follow that pattern, eyebrows are raised instantly. I cant understand why.
    All I can tell you is that it is entirely an Indian mindset. No one can say for sure when exactly old age sets in. I mean mentally. I can say for sure it doesnt set in at least till 64! Will keep you updated about this as I age further!
    sri

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

I never asked you to stop aging adages. Keep em coming, I shall keep commenting!

And then, in passing, BTW,Cheeniya, gotcha!!:2thumbsup:

Last evening being Sunday, we had our weekly treat of karavadais from Venkatesha Bhavan in East Nada street. As I opened the oil soggy packet made out of an old Tamil magazine, little did I realise how revealing that would be. We munched our way thru the yummy karavadais lamenting how mom could never make them like this at home, cribbing how soon they got over. As I crumpled the paper, I saw that it contained three prize winning stories. And when I read the second, I instantly recognised your Omniscient Gentleman albeit in Tamil. I will not reveal the name of the magazine or your pen name, but Cheeniya, congrats! The magazine is a respectable Tamil household dearie, and you have won a great prize. Why did you not post this in IL? We are always looking for something to celebrate. Showed it to all at home. Karavadais have never before been so delicious.

cheers
    Vidya

5. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    First things first!
    It's not me you caught. I too read that story and liked the theme so much, that I decided to share it with you but in my own way. You would have observed that only the central theme has been taken out but the narration is entirely mine!
    Please dont jump to the conclusion that I have to rely on others for my stories. It happens only in one in a hundred cases! Occasionally I do find a good theme and I weave my story around it. I never present it verbatim! If it is done verbatim, I would have presented it in Forwards.
    I do hope that I have not committed any breach that could attract the provisions of the new rules of Infraction!
    Sri

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya,

When I used the exclamation 'gotcha', it was not in malicious glee. I assumed that you were writing in a woman's name especially since the protagonist is named Sreenivasan in that.

Infractions for this-not that I am aware of--

regards
    Vidya

7. Cheeniya

Dear Vidya
    Many say even cheeniya sounds like a woman's name!
    Now that you 'gotcha', I'll ponder over this question of plagiarism and come out with a post!
    Sri

8. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Cheeniya,

I clarified in my last post what I meant by 'gotcha'.

I would very much appreciate a piece on plagiarism. We live in a world plagued by the P-deed and it stinks. My PhD supervisor plagiarised an entire original part of my thesis and it cost me MUCH in terms of money and employment.

Looking forward to more from you.

V 24

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri Sir
    I finally kept the promise to myself to read your work. I knew that right above our posts is a treasure of information and my instincts were right.
    I started from your earlier articles and am working backwards.

It was such a delight reading about how you met your long-lost friend and recalling your escapades of youth and in general turning the years back and becoming the light-hearted young man one more time!

When I came to the last paragraph I stumbled because my conscience told me that I am doing the same with my children when it comes to giving advice. Many times as I talk to them my inner voice has chided me!
    But I would go-on knowing that i have to teach my children.

Just yesterday I was telling my father that while I hated the fact that he would ask me to do some reading and writing during my summer vacations I now keep quiet when my husband tells our younger son to do some programming during his summer vacation!
    I just feel like:hide:!
    This is one article that made me reflect on my behaviour! I have a feeling this is just the first and as read through your articles I will be going through this self-assessment many times!

10. Cheeniya

Dear Kamala
    I am happy that there is still someone who visits my archives and picks out a thread for reading and giving some valuable feedback! I should say you have made my day.

I must tell you that around 80% of what I have narrated is true story and the rest 20% is just 'masala' to make it spicy. Otherwise who will read a narration of an old man about his chance meeting with a school friend? I must also tell you this that life often places us in a situation when others will look to us for guidance and support. Such instances will increase as we grow older. The problem is that most of us are aware that we are not fit to give any such advice and the right to give it is merely bestowed on us by our grey hairs!

I feel guilty when I have to preach something that I have never been able to practise but that feeling of guilt is completely overshadowed by our concern for those who seek such advice from us.

If there is a law that no one can preach anything if he does not practise it, then the community of preachers will just perish!

Sri