1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Prayers And Best Wishes To Those In Hurricane Ian’s Path

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by 1Sandhya, Sep 28, 2022.

1. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Just saw the news that Ian has strengthened to nearly a Cat 5 in the last 24 hours and Florida will sustain a direct hit!

Paging @Viswamitra and other ILites in the hurricane cone - We hope you are safe and sound, evacuating or taking precautions. Do check in whenever power is restored or you are able to. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    Thyagarajan likes this.

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Expected storm surge upto 15 feet!!
    Already water is upto 5-6 feet!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

@1Sandhya,

We are a bit lucky that it didn’t make a landfall in our area which was originally expected. Ian made land fall at 155 miles an hour. We are experiencing a lot of rain and wind speed right now. But our impact is from outer band of the hurricane. We still have power but I don’t know what would happen tonight.

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

News reports are scary in places like Tampa and Sarasota.
    Wishing you a very safe time.

1Sandhya and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Hari Sir,

As we spend years in Florida, we become numb to hurricanes. It was coming right at us earlier. But we were a bit lucky not to get a direct hit at 155 miles an hour.

HariLakhera, Thyagarajan and Rihana like this.
  6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Viswamitra you can't be in the eye of storm or hurricane cone.
    Would there be high voltage thunder that power supply goes off?
    A decade ago a storm in Chennai caused huge lightning a d thunder TV hat fell on a coconut tree instantly it got burnt a d whatever elevmcteical equipment connected to power supply - they all got damaged BER. I lost Phillips tv, radio few dealing fans a d six tube lights instantly to the thunder that accompanied the lightning .
    God Bless.
    A stone DEAF MAN blessed with hearing.

1Sandhya likes this.
  7. Viswamitra

Dear Thyagarajan Sir,

Hurricane Ian's eye was 30 miles diameter and covered a lot of surface area and it made a landfall in Cayo Casta at 3:05 p.m. EDT at a sustained wind speed of 155 miles an hour (100 miles away from us). That is 1.5 times the speed of Rawalpindi Express (the cricketer from Pakistan). It flattened everything on its way and brought the sea water to the level of the second floor in some areas of Florida. We were lucky as it was originally predicted to directly hit into our city and if it did, devastation in our area would be much more sever as ours is a Bay area.

There are many hurricane hunters who travel in the plane and measure the speed of hurricane getting in and out of the hurricane eye. They provide incredible insight improving the knowledge of hurricanes over the last 10 years.
    After land fall, it traveled slower and reduced its intensity as it was not picking up the warm waters of Gulf of Mexico.

8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

155 miles an hour That makes Indian cyclones look like kid stuff. Stay safe. Hope you have armed yourself with enough provisions to survive the ordeal...

9. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

There is nothing I can do to safeguard against 155 miles an hour wind. Luckily, we didn't get the direct impact. I heard the city which took that brunt, the sea water raised by 15 feet and went into the buildings' second floor level. 2.5 million people lost power in Florida due to this hurricane Ian. There is destruction everywhere in its path. Luckily, after the landfall, the speed of the wind came down considerably. This is the 5th most powerful hurricane in the last 100 years. I hope someday we will learn how to convert this humungous energy channeled into the well-being of the humanity and prevent loss of human lives and properties.

1Sandhya likes this.
  10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Wonderful! Glad to know your city was spared a direct hit. Honestly the coverage and videos of the storm are very scary.

Yes 155 mph storm is no joke! Also I was reading elsewhere that Florida is the only state where houses are built out of concrete blocks (to withstand these high velocity gales). I didn’t know that! All housing in all the states I’ve lived in are wood and plaster with some decorative stucco here and there. Probably they all would disintegrate like matchsticks in such a gale.
    It’s reassuring to hear from you. And also good to know that you hate used to the storms by now! No doubt you must have made your preparations. Stay safe! There’s a long road to recovery ahead.