1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Praiseworthy!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Apr 18, 2013.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I saw the brass nameplate shining bright as the attender was swiping it with a sponge. It was a private clinic, with two rooms, one for the patients to wait and the other for the doctor himself. About 25 people can sit in the long benches that were placed in the room. But almost a hundred or more come to him everyday, both in the morning and the evening. Dr. Madhavan's charge was nominal and he had a reputation of being a good one.

He just had an MBBS degree, though there were a few MDs as well. People preferred him over them but. And that included people of all social strata. He always had a smile to each and addressed those who remembered, by their first names. Also, he would not hesitate to ask a question or two about their profession and patiently heard their problems out. You ask anyone who had met him - be it the medical representatives or the countless number of patients or even the sweeper boys and attendants - they will say one thing first. "We have never seen our doctor angry!".

As a senior medical representative who had relocated recently, I went to see him for the first time, thinking about all those stories. He was cordial and I told him about the new drug that we were planning to bring in the market, giving him the samples. There was an irritated patient who rapped the push door loudly while I was explaining. The doctor was a bit disturbed, but opened the door and went to that guy, requesting him to wait for a few minutes. I was impressed by his act and praised him then.

A week later, I got a house for rent at last and made the arrangements to move all the items first, before bringing my family in. The lorry arrived at 06.00 A.M. and I was busy supervising all the items being carefully brought down and kept in their respective places. I then went to the next street to get a packet of milk when I saw the doctor coming out of a big house there. I was happy and went closer. He was disturbed then and I saw him taking his phone out. While I approached him from behind, he was talking, "Sorry dear! I was so angry then because....". I clearly heard the response then. "Please leave it. I am sorry too!"

2. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Good one...actually this story reminds me Dr. Nitya Iyer, her nature resembles alot like the character Dr. Madhavan from your story...she was a gem...she was our family doctor during my childhood days...but then she got shifted to Bangalore...In those days, I got an ambition to become a doctor because of her...though i couldn't become a doctor now, but still today she is my inspiration...

3. strangerrr

strangerrr Gold IL'ite

As usual rgs, but for a difference allow me to steal your title & comment it here.

4. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for being the first to comment and for sharing something from your childhood days, Angellic. Yes, doctors make a great impact to us while we are kids. Sorry that you are not one of those too. And I am happy to make you reminisce those good old days. -rgs

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks Strangerrr. I was concerned not to have your 'likes' themselves these days, so this is a double treat. -rgs

6. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

Very rare trait for a doctor now a days. It is great quality to say sorry....when needed. Ego comes in the way.

Syamala

7. rgsrinivasan

You are right Syamala. Eversince it is changed as just another profession, the quality of service is on the decline. And super speciality hospitals charge you more than a five star hotel per day, but give only below par service. I say this from my own experience as well. Coming to the story, there is a catch in the last line. I won't reveal it now.... :) -rgs

8. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

RGS, I understood that there is something more you are conveying the last line, but asusual I could not get it :bonk, hence liked it without fb. Can you pl tel that, if you don't mind. DO PM me If you don't want to reveal it here.

9. rgsrinivasan

Seems I skewed it up or did not convey it clearly at all Pallavi. Sorry about that. The doctor who is never seen to be angry, apologizes to someone and tries to explain. But he hears that its not required but gets an apology instead. This leads to one direct conclusion. Its his spouse or a dear one who understood him fully and is pained to even hear him saying sorry. That means, he or she takes care of him and the house in such a way that, the doctor could maintain his cool. Remember - the profession of a doctor is a tiring one and this one is mentioned as a busy man too [over 100 patients each time]. He would be able to serve them all without getting irritated, partly because of his character and also because of that dear one at home, taking a very good care of him and the household. So, it is that person, who is more praiseworthy, as he / she is the unsung hero / heroine. Bah! Sorry for the long explanation. Hope that clarifies what I intended now. -rgs

10. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear rgs,

So, behind or with every successful person there is somebody who is praiseworthy who takes care of him and the household. I also did not catch this point!

Syamala