1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Practical spirituality

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Our spiritual center had a regional conference of young adults and it was really heartening to notice that many young men and women actively doing service to the people in need for several hours besides meeting and discussing values that one had to inculcate to be a better human being. We had a joint-session to study the rich spiritual literature available from a spiritual Guru in India. The teachings were read out initially for the benefit of everyone and they were asked to give their comments as and when their turn came. The subject-matter was how to eliminate the bad qualities and what are the traits that one should look forward to develop to make everyone a better human being.

The composition of the young adults included young men and women from various races including Caucasians, African Americans and Asians. They are all practicing various religions but got together to provide service at the Salvation Army prior to discussing the spiritual literature from India. After spending an hour with this group, I felt very good about the depth of knowledge the next generation has about the purpose of life. Some of them openly asked the questions about some bad qualities that they were struggling with in the presence of all with a specific intent to know the solution to eradicate such bad qualities. The answers other young adults provided in response to such concerns were phenomenal. Particularly, the anger management was discussed predominantly throughout this discussion and many of them realized that it is their own reactions inside of them that causes considerable pain. While one of them said that they intentionally walk away from situations that generates anger, many others suggested drinking cold water, lying down flat on the ground and reducing salt intake helped them reduce their anger. They were also discussing life situations which are very unique for a few young adults who have either a brother or sister who are physically or mentally challenged or kids that have special needs. They explained how running early in the morning, meditation and Yoga classes help them overcome the stress and strain they experience.

Most students indicated that they experience tremendous level of peer pressure to do something outside the box which included smoking or drinking or even attempting substance abuse. When most adults were surprised and shocked about this revelation, they further said that there is no need to find opportunities to drift away from enjoying normal life and the opportunities come knocking at their doors. Most of them indicated that they call their parents far away back in other countries first thing in the morning which helps them recall their family values and express their gratitude for the right environment provided by them for their growth and development.

When the time management was discussed, most of them said that they were spending at least an hour or two each week helping the people in need by associating themselves with a group providing service projects. Interestingly, they indicated that their interest in watching television shows have considerable reduced after passing a certain age. They openly admitted that their biggest weakness is their appetite to be connected with internet and provide status update in the social media round the clock and texting their friends throughout the day. Many of them said that they spend more time in interacting with friends through internet than using the internet for learning something new.

In my opinion, knowing their strengths and weaknesses is the first step for their success. They revealed that they miss face to face interaction with like-minded people and hence they are looking for visiting temples, churches, mosques, or other spiritual centers. They felt that those who have the habit of playing musical instruments, engaged in sports activities, swimming or biking or skipping ropes or other physical exercises or having a pet at home are enjoying the life better. They all either had a clear goal in life personally and professionally or already in their path to achieve their goals. They definitely felt that having a mentor help them, provided they are trustworthy. One other comment made by a young woman made me feel that she knows what she was talking about. She felt that her social life has changed so significantly to warrant reconsideration to channel her enormous energy in the right areas. In my opinion, she addressed the root cause of the trouble among the young adults.

In general, they all expressed that they feel very blessed and are obligated to give back to the community that helped them to develop into adults of great character. They felt that education without character is a wasted effort. I walked away with a great sense of satisfaction to see that the next generation has the potential to be fiercely independent thinkers, have the tendency to help people in need and have all ingredients to achieve their life goals. I believe the greatest wealth earlier generation could provide to the next is the body of great principles and values through mentoring. It simply means they need to demonstrate good values being practiced by them as opposed to teaching them. It is their attitude that made me believe that they are all richer. They conveyed to me that practicing spirituality is not a job opportunity post retirement but it is a day to day routine while growing up. I saluted them for their maturity.

6 people like this.

2. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

That is a great snippet.A good teacher is one who practices what he preaches.It is very much encouraging to note that modern boys/girls are open about their weakness and have great inclination to get rid of them.The priority is slowly changing from self to society.
    While there appears to be an all round effort to walk the talk, the other side of the picture is gloomy portraying of shooting incidents just a few cents. But as Mahatma Gandhi said,the entire ocean does not become dirty because of a few dirty drops. After all the society's evils do not merely exist in drugs and alcohol but steeped in stupidity, ignorance and lust for power.As the focus slowly changes towards better,there will be light at the other end of the tunnel.
    Still we can modify the society- which may not be considered as a cluster of individuals but an expression of inter relationship.Such conferences really mean a lot though the improvement is slow in the beginning and considerable as years progress.
    Let us do our little part as squirrels of Ramayana.
    A great step with society in mind.Thanks Viswa for the introspective snippet.
    Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa the wiorld needs more such sessions to propagate a spiritualism rooted in values that transcends religious beliefs and dogmas.

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa,
    "As charity begins at home" and kids learn it from their parents spirituality also begins at home. It is heart warming to know from you snippet that the younger generation take part in large numbers and discuss among themselves their weaknesses and get suggestions to get rid of them.
    It is nice to know that they are all doing service at the Salvation Army.

As as they have said education without character is no use.

PS

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

Thank you for your first response and appreciation. I was very pleased to see their transparency and inclination to be a good citizen in the community by helping others. Their openness to share their weaknesses was a clear indication of them unaffected by the elements of ego. Most of them are students or married in the last 2-3 years so willing to make some contribution to the general welfare of the community as well as to the fellow young adults.

It was reassuring to see how systematically they are recognizing their strengths and weaknesses and how they are action oriented to fix issues and develop strengths.
    Especially, their affection for parents is commendable and their attitude to start the day with a call with the parents moved me so much.

Viswa

6. Viswamitra

Dear Balajee,

Thank you for your feedback. Yes, we need more youngsters who need to spread that message of love to the fellow beings with their wonderful character. They are torch bearers to spread the values in the world going forward. I am against all wrong beliefs but continue to carry an impression that religions are developed and practiced for well-being of the humanity. Unfortunately, many misinterpret and do crazy things under the name of the religion. Self-inquiry after grasping the teachings are necessary for someone to inculcate value, if they need help. Those who need no help, can make self-inquiry on their own without the need to practice any religion.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

You are absolutely right. It is definitely a reflection of the upbringing of this young adult group and the environment in which they flourished into fine human beings. I was overwhelmed after the meeting thinking there is a lot of hope for our planet going forward. They were emphatic in their statement that education without character is of no value. They recognized their need to channel their bubbling energy in the right areas especially in an environment which promotes social media and very little interaction with people.

Viswa

8. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

nice one V' - good to hear good about younger generation...

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Yes wonderful youngsters really.God bless them.

Regards

kamal

10. Viswamitra

Dear GG,

Thank you for your response. I wish I was like them at their age.

Viswa

1 person likes this.