1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Power of words : To make or mar!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Devika Menon, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Andal,

Thankyou for stepping in. I agree there are many people to criticise at the drop of a hat and very few to appreciate at the same pace.

But we need a few good words to grow.

Glad you liked the blog Andal:)

Love,
    Devika

2. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Nithu,

Thankyou so much for stepping in and glad you liked the blog:))

You are absolutely right positive criticism will help in growth and it is essential.

Love,
    Devika

3. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Dear Devika,

beautiful write up on a very interesting topic.
    s its alwaays the criticisms which comes fast but appreciations are always slow.may be its because people tend to think that if we appreciate somebody it is like feeling them slightly superior.
    waiting to read some more from u.

luv raji

4. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Nice one buddy.

You and Chithu have made this week a very educative one with your blogs.

I could not agree more with you when you wrote that often criticism is louder than appreciation. Also where you wrote that many times people justify hurtful criticism as "I just want you to better yourself"! And all you can do with such people is ignore and move on without letting it get to you.

Generous doses of appreciation do wonders to a person. Of course, flattery is not needed but genuine appreciation is very much needed.

I think if appreciation is given whole-heartedly where it is deserved, most people automatically feel motivated to work on their areas of improvemnet without us having to hound them about it.

Sadly though appreciation is not easy to come by, especially in close relationships where people often take each other for granted or feel it is too "formal" to appreciate your close one.

On a positive note, I can see that as generations go by this is changing for the better. People are seeing the importance of being appreciative of each other.

Great one yaar. Sent it to my hubby too (of course, so he can polish his skills of appreciating his better half!:)).

Luv,
    SS

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Raji,

Glad to have you here and appreciating the blog. Thanks a ton.

Well Raji, yes sometimes fine words do make heads swell , but then one cannot complete avoid it. What is important is give criticism and appreciation where it is due.

Love,
    Devika

6. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear SS,

Glad to have you here.

Believe me SS , the power of words is amazing. While good ones can take you to an euphoric state, the bitter ones can depress you for quite a while.

World thrives on appreciation. Appreciation makes a person want to excel. It brings along with it an optimism. Criticism is not entirely negative, but has to be given when due and subtly. Condemning someone and calling their efforts futile can backfire storngly on his/her psyche.

Glad you found it good enough to be sent to your hubby.

Thanks once again buddy.

Love,
    Devika

7. jaijui0

jaijui0 Senior IL'ite

hey devika,
    its hard to take criticism ..but sometimes in our best interests to do so , with dignity and without rancour :)
    jaijui

8. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Absolutely sometimes criticism is very important for progression. One has to learn to take criticism positively!

Thankyou for stepping in Jaijui:)

Love,
    Devika