1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Power of silence

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kanaka, Feb 4, 2008.

1. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

How effective is to remain silent. Does silence pay as the old proverb says. I can understand the power of a chair in the political arena. To what extent does silence augument our personality in the real life? kanaka:kiss:kiss:kiss:kiss

2. sathyavenkat

sathyavenkat New IL'ite

I accept chaos. I am not sure whether it accepts me. I know some people are terrified of the bomb. But then some people are terrified to be seen carrying a modern screen magazine. Experience teaches us that silence terrifies people the most. _Bob Dylan
    I think this summarises what i want to say- affly sathya

3. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

Sometimes silence is killing. If U don't respond to my provocations, that is more worse than blows. This reminds me of 'The silent smile of Buddha. His silence conveyed more than any sermon would have.

people who are silent are very deep.

When we are silent the mind becomes very active. In silence lies the greatness. The mind and soul gives us a discourse.

In silence we reflect over mistakes. In silence lies creativity. In silence lies our wisdom.

In silence lies a volcano.

In silence lies the sea unperturbed till it is provoked. Then comes the tsunami, to become calm and silent again

In silence remains the strength, the moral strength.

In silence remains the meek for they cannot react.

Silence auguments the wise and a powerful weapon in the hands of meek person. kanaka:coffee:coffee:coffee:coffee

4. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Well said Kanaka.....:clap:thumbsup

5. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Kanaka,
    Very interesting topic!
    I remember a famous quote: "A well Timed Silence hath(has) more eloquence than speech"
    Many a times i have been put in a iry situation by my own untalented way of talking rather tackling others request or orders.At those situations, i feel i would have remained silent rather than invite trouble for myself- Very true.
    There are also times where in i have repented that, had i voiced out my opinion, i would have been out of mess- True again!
    So it all depends on edam,porul, eval as we call it in tamil..i.e The place that you talk, the context and the need for it!
    My hubby- i tell you is a master of this art..he pretty well knows when to talk and when not to..and will always sail on a safest boat thro any tides...me being the opposite...
    I do agree that people who talk out are indeed warm, charming and daring ones..but..at times,Silence is still GOLDEN!!!

Lets hear more!!

6. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Interesting topic Kanaka

Silence is the element in which great things fashion themselves. This is said by - Thomas Carlyle

There is great power and wisdom in growing to the point where silence becomes our friend. It is in silence that we best listen and a great portion of life's best secrets can only be learned in silence.
    Those running from themselves and the hurtful lessons of the past fear silence more than any other reality. They fear they may hear themselves in that silence. Such people are always lonely - whether alone or surronded by multitudes.
    In reality, if we stand still and be quiet, the word we hear softly spoken in the inner court of our own castle is full of beauty and loveliness. If we listen we will learn that we are not bad, that we are not disgusting, failure-ridden people, and we are not powerless. Quite the contrary, there is much that is right and noble about us.
    Alone or lonely - it is a matter of courting silence or not

7. kanaka

kanaka Bronze IL'ite

DearAishu22 and Arunrac

Well said and said beautifully. I enjoyed reading . Satyam, satyam. I feel nice to read such posts. Both of U are great. Regards. kanaka:clap:clap:clap:clap

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kanaka

A profound topic. Have you noticed noise and silence go hand in hand.

Lot of people say nothing, but few master communication through silence where silence speaks louder. Saying the right thing at the right time and place is easier than not saying the wrong thing at the worst tempting times.

Silence can help us understand the inner self better. Outward silence can be achieved by shutting out the noise. inner silences is something you gain only when you learn to be at peace with yourself.

Silence is a sword...it can be used both ways...it can be used to increase our understanding and learn more about the person opposite us.

when as a mother I remain silent, when my child makes a mistakes, it works as the biggest punishment.

Silence can hurt a person more than words when it is intentional.

One gaze into the eyes of someone you love can speak more deeply to the heart than the greatest poetic words. Silence creates a bond.

There is great power in silence. whether it is inner or outer...hope i have not created confusion here.

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kanaka,
    I don;t know how it worked for others when I remain silent. They would have thought atleast for sometime she is silent.Big Laugh
    but i like the yesteryears song on 'mounam'.

'mouname paarvaiyai oru paattu paada vendum..

sriniketan

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

mental maturity is very important for this rule, no impulsive mind will keep quite and emotional too, so in life these are the active years lessons that we learn like summa irundirukkalam cheh yenna thollai and so on, so once you reach a state of mind through perseverance of practice then there is peace for this act..sunkan