1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training For A 2 And Half Year Old Is Becoming Traumatic. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sasi291, Aug 30, 2017.

1. sasi291

sasi291 Bronze IL'ite

My Son who is 2 and half year old doesn't want to sit on potty.
    I potty trained him last summer and he was good , but when winter came he wanted a diaper and i did a mistake of giving him diaper. Now i started his potty training again and he pees well when i take him to potty, but for the Poo* part, he cries for his diaper. Even if he has an urgency to go, he waits till i put his diaper on.
    He cries a lot for his diaper and says and he has to go to poo*, but he doesn't do it in his potty. i try to engage him with toys, puzzles, story books, potty training books , but nothing is working.

Planning to get stickers, but dont have very high hopes that they would work. i bought new underwear for him, even that didnt work out.

Its becoming very stressful in the morning with this. Please ladies, help me how i should go about this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Potty training can be one of the toughest things to do. It humbled me like almost no other parenting challenge.

Had a similar situation for a few weeks. Kid wanting diaper when feels the need to go poo, and me encouraging to go to the bathroom. Kid running around as poo is almost coming out, and me behind the kid. : )

Finally, what worked was me getting rid of all the diapers. (Well, I did have a few hidden away, but kid didn't know). I also was prepared for a poo accident on the floor of the house or the bathroom floor. Kid knew there was no diaper available. The first time without diaper option was tough. Loud screaming (from kid, not me, I was calm as floor was protected and bathroom mats removed). We ended up on the potty just in time, and success. Screaming went down the next time. After the fourth poo in potty, I was allowed in only to wash/wipe!

Though, one has to be careful with this 'no diapers' approach. Don't want child to get constipated. I would say try it for one or two days. It also depends on how much time you have at his usual poo time, and how much the rest of the household is willing to keep shut and not tell you to just put a diaper on him.

Sunburst likes this.
  3. sasi291

sasi291 Bronze IL'ite

Thank you Rihana. will try the no Diaper approach. But my kid once stopped going to Poo for the whole day since i haven't given him Diaper. He was so stubborn. Then i gave up by evening and gave him his diaper.. :(
    But i will surely give it a try... Thank you once again for the suggestion.

4. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

Hi Some kids dont like to go on the bathroom / washroom.. @Rihana: sorry this letting kid cry method did not work with my kid.. May be kid was afraid of flush sound.. But Rihana right said.. we have be prepared for floor accidents.. Dont stress out ur child for potty training as more you give pressure on the child the more its going to get delayed to train ur child.. Your son is just 2.5 yrs .. after 3 yrs he will listen or respond more to you .. dont worry... let him sit in the potty seat with his diapers on .. so that slowly u can make him sit without diapers in his potty seat..

Rihana likes this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Take it easy for a while. Don't force.

Go with flow , continue using bathroom for pee , and just let the kid sit on potty sit just to get used.put some posters which he may like and try engage him by using iPad or stories or whatever he likes. Let him get used to the room and explore flush and toilet paper , washing hands etc. Watch potty training videos , cartoons.

Check for constipation or hard stools , this will play a role too.

Don't rush

6. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, don't worry . He will do it when he is ready. Forcing to use the toilet will not work with all kids. Take it easy for a few days and slowly make him sit on the toilet seat.

If there is a time for it, take him and allow to sit on toilet with diapers and later without diapers .Make it a fun trip and give him the impression that he did a great job Allow him to play or stay without diapers for while. One fine day he will do it.. most kids became potty trained by 3yrs.

My son was also like this . One day, we noticed that he wants to poo from his expression( he was nearly 3yrs) while getting ready for bath. He didnot know what to do without diaper. My dh lift him and make him sit on toilet seat. So he did it...he became very happy and confident..After that day, he started enjoy doing it that way.. counting the number of poo was his next attraction and saying bye bye poo...It was so funny.

Give him more time till he reach his comfort zone. Each kid is unique. So try different options without forcing him to do anything

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017