1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training a toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 2, 2005.

1. jeyanthikannan

jeyanthikannan New IL'ite

Re: How to potty train a toddler

Hi
    I am in Chennai. can any one suggest me the best nursery rhymes CD both in english & tamil for a 2 yr baby

2. vanigooty

vanigooty New IL'ite

Re: How to potty train a toddler

To all Il ladies,

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions this will help me a lot in getting traing for my baby.
    Vani

3. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Tips needed to get rid of diapers/training pants

Hi friends,

My daughter is now 2.8yrs and almost potty trained but i still wears training pants when we go out for more than 2hrs.

Im curious to know how everyone here(especially in US) transitioned this.Im not putting the TPs on during night time and slowly im successful in it but sometimes accidents do happen. How do moms here got rid of the diapers and could fully potty train their kids. What do you do during night time in winters when the kid feels the urge to urinate more.Does someone use rubber sheets here?

Let me hear from you all. I want her to be fully potty trained by her 3rd birthday:hide:

vani

4. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Re: Tips needed to get rid of diapers/training pants

Hi vani,
    while going out dont be tempted to make her wear TP.taking risk isthe only way to succeed.You can find restrooms inmost places (shopping mall,restaurants).so initially you can take her once you enter even if she doesnt tell you.this will work well.for long car drive too you can stop for restroom breaks.

Night is tricky.Iused rubber sheet for nap time.Iam worried about that as you.he is notconsistent.10 days he will be dry but 11th day he may wet.still working on that.will keep you updated.

5. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI Vani...

This is the way i trained my daughter... just before leaving my house i make make her to go.... once i enter the shopping mall or any place i first find where the rest room is so that i need not be in a hurry at the end... every 2 hrs like that i take her... if she dont go i open the water tap she will go immed... during the night times in the beginning when i train her i used to keep alarm get up and take her... sometimes i failed but slowly it worked now she will get up and tell...

from 2yrs i stopped pampers compeletly during day time and from 3 yrs during night... hope this helps...

As supriya mentioned while going out you need to take risk no other go for that.... all the best...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  6. pratapa

pratapa New IL'ite

Hi Vani,

As you know my son will be 2 years by this december. He is totally potty trained by 1.5 years itself. the more we use diapers and TP, the late will be the training. Kids don't like wetness and hence with just two accidents, he runs to bathroom on his own now the moment he feels the urge of it.

In the nights we need to take him to toilet once initially but now he gets up and tells.

Hope this helps!

chandana

7. mangaii

mangaii Finest Post Winner

Hey Vani,
    This is what I do.Before we go out I make sure she goes to pee-pee.If she says its not coming I make sure she goes to restroom as soon as we reach the destination.I think once you start removing diapers they will start feeling wetness and they also can hold for longer duration.If we cannot find any place I do tell my daughter to hold.
    Hope it helps
    Thanks
    Mangai

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

I too need some advice:

My 3 year old son is day-time trained (well, almost...) He goes to daycare full-time 5 days a week. He pees in the potty once he wakes up, has his morning milk and b'fast and goes to school. At school, they make him wear a diaper only during naptime. He has a few accidents, but generally is ok.

Now here is the catch - he never poops at daycare. Only at home. Once he is home, wants the diaper. If I don't give him the diaper, he either won't go, or goes in underwear. It almost is like he knows what to do, but is just not ready to give up diapers yet...

My ped says that this is common in boys, and not to put pressure on him. I know he will eventually learn to do it, but I am just curious to see if anybody with boys had this experience?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  9. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi pavarun,
    Making my son poo in potty took more effort than pee.Only way is go cold turkey.Not making him wear diaper when he wants.Take him to potty when ever he says he needs diaper to poop.they just hate to sit in it.So my life saver was tissue.He likes to tear and put in the potty.He must have torn 2-3 rolls before he learnt to poop without fuss.This process drained me.One day i made 15 trips to potty and within next 2 days he started doing it.He may be a bit constipated if he doent poos but thats not a bug problem.

10. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Supriya, you are a champ!

I tried that a few times after coming back from work... We sat on the potty (well, he sat, and I sat on the floor/rug) and we waited... and waited... Nothing came. So I gave up, made him wear the diaper, and boom - in 15 minutes, he went poopy :spin

I think I should plan on spending the whole weekend in the restroom!!!!

BOYS! bonk I have heard that girls are much easier...