1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty Training a toddler

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Priya Amarnath

Priya Amarnath Bronze IL'ite

Hai everyone

I am Priya living in CO, USA. I am a mom of a baby boy who will turn two next month, I am planning to start training him potty.

I need help from mothers who have trained their kids. Please feel free to share your ideas with me

Regards
    priya

2. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

some tips

Hi Priya,

I have a daughter who learnt it quite quickly. Usually boys take a little longer they say, but not always.

You tell your son, whenever he needs to go he has to tell u. This will make him be conscious of his bladder. Meanwhile, notice the frequency in which he goes and make it a habit to take him to the bathroom at regular intervals. You can make this fun by running along with him and praising him when he goes in the potty or bathroom. This takes some time, but make it a point not to scold him when he wets in his pants. Try to tell him patiently that the next time he has to inform u if he feels like going.

I have a link which i hope will help u. Check it out.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/tp/tppotty/0,,9mmq,00.html

3. Priya Amarnath

Hi prathi

Thanks a lot for ur guidance. I shall visit the site which u sent me.

Regards
    priya

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya,

I have a 2 1/2 yr old son.He is potty trained to some extent,I would say,but not fully.

When we are outside India,our children usually have to be in diapers till atleast 3 yrs old.So, it does become difficult to train them.Since we were in India till last Dec,I could potty train him to some extent since it was not necessary for him to wear diapers there.

Every 1 hr,I started take my son to the bathroom.Slowly I increased this interval to 2 hrs.When he was 10 mnths old,during the nights,he used to wet the bed around 1 a.m and again around 3-4 a.m.I noticed that just before doing this,he would be very uneasy and start rolling over and over.So,even if he is sleeping,I used to get up around that time and just carry him to the bathroom and make him stand there.Soemtimes,this would wake him up and he would take an hour or two to sleep after this.This is surely very taxing on us mothers especially if we are working and have to forego sleep to do this.But it surely helps.Anyway,most of us mothers don't get sound sleep after a child is born.Maybe that is God's way of preparing us for these simple things in life.

Slowly,my son started getting used to this routine.Then he started sleeping soundly even if I disturbed him in his sleep.Also,his urge to go twice reduced to once in the night.Now he sleeps soundly throughout the night and does not go at all!!!!!

Yes, I agree with Prathi.It is more difficult to train them for the 2nd phase.Even now,I keep telling him to tell me when he wants to go 1 or 2.But he has still not come to that stage.But all children have some way of letting us know when they want to go.We can take hints from that and just take them to the bathroom.

Hope I have been of some help.

1 person likes this.
  5. Priya Amarnath

Hi sunita

Thanks a lot for sharing ur views. My son has not started speaking sentences, he is only telling some words. Today I showed him the potty seat which we bought and told him that he should do his peeing and pooing in that. I do not know whether he has understood any thing. I understand that it will take some time for the kids to adjust to the potty since they are used to doing everything freely in the diapers.
    In India kids will be fully trained at the age of 2 or even 11/2. From today onwards I am plannig to take him to the potty for every one hr or so. Will let u all know about the results.

Thanks to prathi and sunita once again.

Regards
    priya

6. Tulasi

Tulasi Silver IL'ite

potty training for a toddler

Hi Friends,
    Iam so frustrated about my 2 and 7 months old kid for making him potty training..he doesn't want to go any where close to bathroom he just runs away
    from there he is still in diapers..he does't even have sense of when it is coming
    I tried for a week to take him to the potty severval times day but he just cries
    i just gave up now.. don't know waht to do..pls help what to do..

thanks in advance

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: How to potty train a toddler

Dear Tulasi,

Please read the previous posts, there are some good tips. Also as others have said, boys take a little longer than girls. One suggestions is to get books on Potty training for your son and read /show him the pictures. Also everyday, i used to make my son just go and flush the toilet just so he sees what happens. He thought it was great fun.

After a while he started sitting on the potty seat, and i used to make a happy time by blowing bubbles for him , this makes them sit there long enough.
    We moms need to show patience. First thing is to stop using the diaper and get him some of favorite character based undies and make him wear it. And then take him every hour to the potty and let him sit for a few minutes.
    Accidents willhappen, but thats how they learn.

Good luck . and not to worry , when they get the idea, they will get trained overnight.

Vandhana

1 person likes this.
  8. perfectly_perfect

perfectly_perfect Silver IL'ite

Hey friends,
    I m a mother of 2 yr old and my daughter is trained. now if she is wearing pullup then also she tells me that she wants to go to restroom. what i did was i removed her diaper and placed her potty seat in living room. why i did that was while playing she can sit there. there is no need to run in emergence. full day i was with her to watch her when she wants yo use that. whenever she starts peeing, i made her sit on the seat and told that she has to tell me before peeing or pooing. whenever she told me n used the seat i rewarded her with a chocolate. i stopped giving chocolate any other time and I was giving her chocolate only after that. after doing this with in one week she was trained. but we have to keep patiente. Dont scold the kid otherwise they wont tell u at all.
    Hope my experience will help u.
    Happy Potty Training.

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    it seems that sometimes life is difficult even in the great US. I have not even tried to train my son. Take him to the toilet as soon as he gets up after a nap for peeing and take him to the back yard as soon as he makes faces and make him sit on my feet while I sit on the floor for pooing.This was started at when he was 8 or 9 months old. Then slowly take him to the toilet.
    But with a different climate and culture, it must be really trying on you mothers to train the children. All the best!
    Now many mothers here do not take care of such things and put on the diapers. This actually hinders the child's senses and it becomes difficult to train later.
    There was a neighbour, she will not even put on an undie or dress for her 2 year old daughter. She says that the child wets and it is difficult to wash so many clothes (in the washing machine). But what about cleaning after the child wets the floor?
    Another one would leave the diaper for hours together and the child would have done everything in it. So bad!

10. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yes,Varloo,you are right....One of the advantages of staying in India is that we get to train our kids at a very early age and that helps us and them to a large extent.First thing is that the mother should be patient and should be willing to work hard to potty train the child.Like I said,in my case,getting up in the night was very tiring since I had to forego sleep and then go to work the next day.But this idea of taking the child to the bathroom in the night was given to me by my colleague and I followed it dutifully and it really helped.My hubby used to tell me why don't you just sleep,don't bother,put a diaper for him.I was somehow not for diapers.I used to put normal undies for him and I felt that it was very hygienic too.

Now he is 4 1/2 and he is fully trained..I am so happy for him!