Pottery Magic-The Chhota Udaipur Tribals

Discussion in 'Western India' started by NamrataG, Feb 1, 2009.

1. NamrataG

NamrataG New IL'ite

It is said that one <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Gujarat</st1:place>’s oldest handicraft is pottery. Why, you will see a potter at every roadside turn here, pots moulded by gentle hands in beautiful shapes and sizes, decorated and painted with different colours.

The Chhota Udaipur tribals are famous for their pottery, they make terrecota tribal horse gods that protect them and their crops from the evil eye. They also make mud wall hangings painted and decorated with mirrors.

Are you fond of pottery? Do beautiful utensils and toys made of clay and mud make you want to purchase them for your home?:)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009

2. Urvi

Urvi New IL'ite

Yes Namrata,

Your post is really "delicious". Did you know that the potters in Gujarat make the pots and it is their wives who do the painting and embellishing of these earthen beauties? I have a collection of earthen pots in my home which I pick and choose from nearby potters on the wayside or sometimes visit Garvi Gurjari. :)

3. chitra31121972

chitra31121972 New IL'ite

i luv pottery namratha cud u pls tell me where in ahmedabad can i collect nice diff styles of pots

chitra