1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Potted fruit trees !

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by juana, Oct 1, 2010.

1. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Is anyone growing fruit trees in pots ? I've always been fascinated by bonsais and dwarf trees and ofcourse fruit trees in pots. I grow bonsais as a hobby.

I have managed to grow a couple of fruit trees in pots. I have a guava, pomergranate, sapodilla aka sapota and lemon tree. The guava and pomergranate bloomed earlier this year. The pomergranate blooms were destroyed by squirrels and the guava had a lemon sized fruit which as luck would have it was eaten up by squirrels.

My Sapodilla plant is now blooming. And I'm ofcourse quite excited and extra careful. Can't wait for it to fruit.

2. smiss4679

smiss4679 New IL'ite

Hi Juana -

Can you advise where I can buy bonsai in chennai. I am interested in growing them..Also i would like your advise of growing potted fruit trees.

Thanks,
    Smita

3. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Hello Smita !

I buy all my plants from the State Horticultural Garden at Gemini Flyover. It is diagonally opposite Stella Maris College towards Gemini.
    Since it is State run...their prices are much cheaper than all the other nurseries in the city.
    They stock almost all varities of plants. They also have fruit trees as well as bonsais.
    The good part is you can also buy soil from them...which is very rich in nutrients. In addition to pots, organic fertilisers etc.
    This place has a smallish entrance...if you are not on the lookout you'll miss it. They are closed on Thursday...and work from 9 - 5 !
    I have been growing my own bonsais...through trial and error. Fruit trees have been with me for a couple of years now. I bought them as saplings. They need caring for in terms of pruning, fertilising...checking for mites etc. Too much sun and the leaves start to burn...to less hampers their growth. They need a good 5 - 6 hours of direct sunlight to thrive. I provide the plants shade in the hot summer months but see they get morning sun. Fertilise them on a regular basis. Not much since it might damage the roots.
    For seeds I go to Ashok seed shop at Nathesan Road.

4. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Juan thanks for asking and you have given information for others too thank for that --I have grown orange fruit for 4 years-- it had such a tiny orange with individuals flakes too though not sweet it looks so lovely, it died with overwatering --tried pomgrante too did not bear fruit though actuall i love them:):)

5. smiss4679

smiss4679 New IL'ite

Thanks Juana..your response was very helpful.. I stay in Valasaravakkam so Gemini Fly over is kind of far for me..But I shall plan to visit it someday soon..Is it open on Saturday and Sundays too 9-5?

I would like to be in touch with you(if you dont mind) so that I could fall back on your knowledge when I buy bonsais and Fruit trees..I am new to gardening and recently I have successfully managed to grow a few flowering plants..That has been encouragement to try bonsai although I know that bonsai needs a lot more time and patience.

Regards,
    Smita

6. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

I had an Orange tree handed down to me by my aunt. I got tiny fruits too. I remember my aunt would pickle them when the plant was with her...so I tried doing the same one year. Got a decent batch of pickle...quite like lime pickle. I gifted the plantto a friend when we moved to Chennai.

All fruit trees need atleast 5-6 hours of sun. So if you're keeping them inside they'll probably not grow well. Plants need a good fertilizer. I use organic fertilizer through the year. And once they start growing buds I add a little extra fertilizer rich in phosphorous.

Don't give up on your pomergranate...with the right conditions it'll soon flower and fruit.

7. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Hi ! Luckily for you the place is open on weekends too. Remember it has a very small entrance...and it is on the opposite side of Stella Maris.

My knowledge on Bonsai is very basic....but I'll try to clear your doubts. Fruit tress too need a lot of attention. Buy a hybrid or dwarf variety fruit tree...these can be grown in pots. Buy a fairly big pot for your fruit plants.

You can add me as a friend. Good luck with your plants :thumbsup

8. Pavi82

Pavi82 Senior IL'ite

Hi Juana, Thanks for sharing the info abt Horticultural society .. :)

Plenty of times i have pssed through that side and i didnt know that there is such a place that too they sell plants.. My weekend plan is to visit this place for sure and buy some...:cheers :biglaugh

9. juana

juana Bronze IL'ite

Pavi you'll be surprised at how vast the place is. When you approach from Gemini it is just after the Simens building.

10. Pavi82

Pavi82 Senior IL'ite

Sure, will check and share my experience with you dear :)