1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potholes on the retirement road

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Periamma,

Kindly address me Viswa and it is embarrassing when you address me Viswa Sir, Let "Sir" be reserved for those lovely daughters of the next generation.

You raised the million dollar question. May be that is why people say men are from Mars and women are from Venus. If you ask me the true reason, I would describe it as follows. Have you seen the logo of Madras Rubber Factory? Men always think that they carry a very important responsibility of taking care of the family whereas women never assume that role and just keep busy doing it throughout their life.

There is a proverb in Tamil, "Gopurathai Bommai Thangudha?" meaning, "Is the statue on top of the Gopuram responsible for holding its structure?" In MRF tire logo, a man holds a tire above his head and I always think men are like that. They think that all the responsibilities in the world are above their head.

That is the subtle difference between men and women. Men talk about how to be responsible whereas women do it day in and day out.

Thank you for your last two sentences. It gave me courage not to consider the retirement age as preparation for the eternal journey but to enjoy the life everyday leaving the penultimate day into the hands of the Lord. After all, the Lord who pulls the plug must be happy to see a smiling face of His creation.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Dear GG,

Thank you for your response. You are right. Some may not get a chance to retire or even may not last until retirement.

I feel the responsibility continues even after retirement but with limited amount of retirement resources. But the time we spent on professional work are saved for pursuing other hobbies and passions.

After living in the US for this long, my wife could not wait for retirement, a period in which someone cooks and cleans for her. Perhaps, that is the greatest motivator for asking me to retire soon. If we move back to India, we can hire someone to help.

I am always available to help her at a moment's notice even now and I don't have to wait to do that after retirement. Serving the society, Reading, Traveling, Mentoring, Teaching, etc. are something that I certainly like to pursue after retirement. I hope and pray that I am left with enough steam to carry on that long. Everything is in the hands of the Lord.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Srinivasan:

Thank you for your response. Your words humbled me as much as Kamla's. I hope and pray that I live up to those expectations.

It is so comforting to know that I don't have to change my lifestyle even after retirement because that is what I would like to accomplish. What is more comforting is the role models like you, Cheeniya Sir and many others who lead a wonderful life past retirement.

Viswa

4. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I am truly surprised to receive your direct response to this post. A very simple first sentence of yours made me smile ear to ear as I know every word that comes from your pen are truly from your heart. Frankly, someone like you need no planning because you lived a life that required no change whether you worked or not. It is interesting to know that you led successful retired life already as much as you worked for State Bank of India.

Retiring when you have two young daughters aged 21 and 19 to be married shows how much self confidence and determination is built into your system. Your Sishya living here in the US would have choked in that situation. Your mindset of not seeing the connection between your retirement and the marriages of your daughters tells it all.

Your last paragraph inspired me a lot about retirement. I live in the world now with hands in the society and head in the forest, in its literal sense, not in the philosophical sense. Your words encouraged me not to consider the retirement as a cut-off point in life. In fact, I am aspiring not to make any lifestyle change to adjust to the retirement life. I am not saying this from economics point of view but from the point of view of changing the mindset to adjust.

I am able to relate your words better after contemplating a little why you used the term walking in the woods. It is adventurous, eventful, enlightening and exploratory.
    There is no purpose in considering that as shutting down period as everyday during that period is outright for pursing the passions and enhance happiness.

As I mentioned in my response to Kamalji, you and him are great role models for someone like me. I am sure Indra manni should be a great support to all your decisions. Isn't it great to know that there are no promises to keep and whatever we do, in retirement, is exploring whatever we wish to do?

Viswa

5. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Viswa sorry for this arsy-varsy response but I cannot help to cheer at this one

Cheeniya I thought I cannot beat you in anything, tell you , watch out, I will retire before that! Every year I tell my friends, okay pals, lend me your years, this is the last year of me in workforce, that is it! I will retire next year, new year's eve the bell strikes + 1, I AM OUT! Not that I hate my job or something, I love it to pieces but I can't wait to knock at some retirement home and implore, please take me in, some gruel and dram nothing else needed, I'll make all arrangements to entertain myself, please take me in.

3 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I crave indulgence Viswa to have a word with Ara.
    Aria,
    If consuming gruel and dram is your idea of retirement, please for Heaven's sake, don't retire! There are hundreds of things in which you can beat me hollow. Your mind-boggling vocabulary is one of them. Mr.Venkatakrishnaiya, my English Teacher in school was the only one so far that used to leave me in knots by talking to me in English. After over five decades, I see a similar tormentor in you! This being so, you should leave out retirement as an agenda to beat me!
    Sri

4 people like this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I have not gone near my P. C for 4 days. My son, DIL, children from US are here for vacation. My DIL being a dancer has 4 programmes , this music season in various sabhas. As she is busy with her rehearsals and practice sessions with accompanying musicians, I am playing with my grandkids, looking to their needs- an enjoyable activity in retired life.
    I never thought of retirement due to the ill health of my husband and left it to Him.
    As Periamma has correctly pointed out, there is no retirement age for women who keep themselves very busy till their last day in this world or till they are able to cope up with elastic limit.
    I find that many people are much into the financial aspect of retirement and are not taking into account of their psychological portfolios.

With average age going up, many live upto hundred years. Many have to lead equal number of years in retirement as in their service.
    During retirement, especially men have to reshape their identity,a real crisis for those who retired as CEOs,CMD and in such high ranks.Even contemplating about retirement creates a void and lot of anxiety.The love they have developed for scheduled life, an established routine and their view about others' view on them may make them sick.Even those who are spiritually inclined may find themselves in troubled waters. A sense of disrespect hovers around them.
    A man who has so many titles tagged to his identity card may feel himself very hollow .
    It is better that they find a new identity which may add meaning to their life.

I have seen many seniors who had plans to spend time with grandkids find it extremely difficult to handle children, especially modern kids-totally different from their own childhood 60 years back.They can't tolerate noise beyond a certain decibel and become totally irritated on seeing the children.
    The new relationship which they may develop may not offer a great regard/respect envisaged.
    In many families , spending a considerable time with the partner may prove to be harmful.Too much togetherness may cause irritation too.
    Let not the retirement cause clevage and stress in married life.This may make men feel marginalized and women may feel intruded on simple things.
    One of course may continue writing etc,but practical wisdom counts more than passion.
    I know a person who writes great reviews on books. He spends nearly 15 hrs on reading and writing. His wife does not expect him to do anything, but feels it better if he keeps away from the kitchen.
    There are certain others who venture into new arenas, spend their retirement money and get into troubles.
    Certain others enjoy everything they do-babysitting, watering plants, going to movies, visiting temples, listening to bhashans , attending concerts or simply looking at the roof. They have no agenda, but are quite comfortable with what they are required to do on hour to hour or day to day basis.They don't have great plans, but are wise enough to be happy and make others happy.What else is needed in retired life?

These people are the happiest, because they don't have much expectations about the remuneration, name or fame.
    Health problems may intervene whether you plan or don't plan. My nephew 58, who had some good plans about retirement,had a harmonious healthy life with 2 kids- has suddenly been affected by Alzeimers. Not responding to any treatment.He didn't even think of retirement-now can't think any longer.

Now not even 60, he is unable to identify himself, his wife and children. His wife 55 locks him up when she goes for some purchase. He didn't even attend the upanayanam of his grandson.He talks only about a cycle race, that he participated in his 18th year and nothing else.Somedays he never eats, somedays eats too often .

We can plan only to a certain extent.Our plans may or may not work out. For some it is a smooth comfortable retirement. For others earlier years might have been very peaceful but the last few years may be alarming.
    Better plan, but without much expectation.

Jayasala 42

2 people like this.
  8. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Viswa, may I indulge Cheeniya's craving?

The 'gruel and dram' was trope for a spartan and unassuming life. Now my unvarnished reasons for contemplating early retirement (read that as late thirties) are as follows. The more I seek, realize the less I need. When I started off working not so long ago, all I wanted to accomplish was to tick before I retire/sabbatical is my tuition fees for further education. Okay, the expenditure for privations for the next few years taking into account extrapolated inflation. Nothing like being sorted out in your head!

Today that tuition bank is still empty and everything else that I may need or not need has been catered for. Every time I drop a penny in that bank it is transferred into you-cant-retire-without-this fund. My blueprint was too protean and my logistics are equally chimerical. What was I doing?! Realized that my inductive progression to establish must-haves before retirement invariably drops the idiosyncratic built and construct of an individual. Do I really want what others want. Do I really seek what others seek. Will I be content when I find out it is only a bezoar? Is everyone scaring too much than I'm supposed to be scared of. Am I foolhardy or a heady-fool dwelling on consternation beset from effusive solicitude from near and dear ones.

Do these people know me?
    Do these people "really" know me?

Self-discovery is quite important! And I realized very late that I know so little about me and so much about what others think of me. For me a non-regrettable and meaningful retirement is one where you are ready to open up to self-exploration. I don't mean to say I'm joining the Carthusian monks. In fact retirement is a corporate term, for me 'reclamation' sounds more tinnitus! Reclamation of life a good pupil, a good graduate, a good employer, can I have my life back now please. So yes I don't have to worry about what I am supposed to be doing when I retire, I just have to select where to begin.

Cheeniya you do realize that most of the coinages are not in the pages of the stuffy dictionary but in the folds of my frivolous mind. Words catapult not based on what you write or how you write but "who" you write to, the frisson one taps away excitedly to rhythm of bibbidi-bobbidi hop. I've have been trampled by too many 60+ ideal age remonstrations that seeing a 48+ is quite a legup to my airy views. Hence the preview-insinuation and the post-indulgence. P.S: Tinnitus infact exists! (winks)

3 people like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Smt. Jayasala:

My post would not be complete without your invaluable insight as always. As usual, you have provided a very profound advice for a guy who struggles during a transition phase. In my post, I was paying only attention to mental adjustment and stayed away from focusing on economics.

You are right that the elders' average age is increasing and they should be well prepared to lead a prolonged life as a retired person. Luckily, I have held all the senior corporate positions including that of a CEO in the mid-age and came out of that tunnel vision to become a consultant. I did face the anxiety when I left a public company corporate role to a one man consulting company to begin with. It is a big shift from 12 hours plus work to almost negligible amount of professional work. I have realized long time back that titles mean nothing and it is what we learn while performing those roles that are invaluable.

Regarding handling grandchildren, they are a different generation of people with different intellectual capabilities. In my opinion, the grandparents role should be restricted to showering love and taking select responsibilities as assigned by the parents more than taking the extra step of parenting.

I already spend a lot of time with my spouse since I started working from home. She has overcome her initial reaction of what I have got into enjoying the company which she missed for a prolonged period of time.

Health issues don't wait for the retirement period and can hit one at anytime. If one needs to be health conscious, he or she should do so when one is young enough to make lifestyle changes. Moreover, there are certain health conditions not necessarily dependent on healthy lifestyle.

I have learned all through my life that plans may or may not work out. I have also realized that one may not last that long to execute the plan as the Lord has to bless enough life to execute any plan for that matter. I have zero expectation about retirement at this point as I don't dwell too much into past or future. However, I feel if I can be as close to the mindset I enjoy now, the retirement will be peaceful.

Viswa

10. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

If you both are going to make such delightful interactions, who in the right frame of mind is going to object them? Please feel free to have as many interactions as possible as long as it becomes a thesis for me to contemplate.

Dear Hapax,

Wow! Wow! Wow! You have truly redefined retirement in your words, "For me a non-regrettable and meaningful retirement is one where you are ready to open up to self-exploration". Self discovery is what you aspire for at less than half of my age! Can you become my mentor for retirement? Reclamation is the right term as life is about exploring where we came from. Ramana Mahirishi rightly said, "Find your way back home", a rich teaching that says it all.

I have learned in my life that "I am not what I think I am (the body), what others think I am (the mind) and I am truly the divine consciousness witnessing the cauldron of thoughts and haphazard actions performed by the body". I have also realized that life experience is more, if not as much, unlearning than learning.

I will reveal a secret I came to know about Ashtavadhani, a person who performs eight different tasks at the same time. My rational mind was questioning how a human mind can perform parallel processing while it is meant to be sequential? I got the answer in a research report and a personal conversation with an Ashtavadhani. The performer does not dwell in any of those eight tasks and take the ninth position to observe all eight tasks and sequence them from that ninth position.

That revealed to me the reason why human beings are wired sequentially. After all focusing on one thing i.e. to learn about who I am, reveals the entire universe to me. Otherwise, human life would become a life sentence with no possibility of parole to find the origin.

Seriously, I went back to look up the Wikipedia to what you mean by your new IL name and I found the following:

"A hapax legomenon (/ˈhæpəks lɨˈɡɒmɨnɒn/ also /ˈhæpæks/ or /ˈhpæks/;[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP] pl. hapax legomena; sometimes abbreviated to hapax, pl. hapaxes) is a word that occurs only once within a context, either in the written record of an entire language, in the works of an author, or in a single text."

For you, probably one word is good enough to communicate and you don't need a complete sentence or a paragraph to communicate effectively.

My mind is running riot and you got me going. My heartfelt gratitude for your interactions with Cheeniya Sir, as it revealed something important to me.

Viswa

2 people like this.