1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Potatoes, Potatoes Everywhere .........

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Grace3, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

It is only here that I see sooooooooo many varieties of stuff . Right from confusion in the bread aisle,:spin to the kinds of yoghurt and milk they have displayed --- for someone like me who hates shopping, It takes so much time to read the label/contents and pick one -- just to come home and see it tastes bitter / stale .....bonk
    To add to this amazing confusion is on Potatoes ; sooo many bags of different names ; one whole wall is filled with racks of Idaho, Russet, Rouge, Baking, Jumping [yes ], Golden , Yukon, etc. etc. Apart from this they have some in med. size buckets also !! Which one to buy 'cos the few I've bravely purchased so far have no taste -- like plain paper or they are sweet too?? Which suits for curries, roasts, mashed and cutlets etc. ??
    Please guide this confused soul !:help

2. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

I usually buy Idaho potates for making indian curries
    -priya

3. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

same here... I buy Idaho potatoes.....

4. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks very much guys !! I bought a small bag of red [rouge] ones last week & they are cooking so soft like melted butter. So will use them for mashing, cutlets etc.
    But how about roasting -- like dry subji ; that also Idaho will suit ??