Posting Political Opinions In Social Media And Forums

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rihana, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I have a friend of Indian origin who's lived in the U.S. for more than four decades, went to MIT, has hobnobbed with politicians at the senator level. She kind of thinks of herself as a life-long guardian of those who came to the U.S. after her. I often pull her leg that she studied nondescript majors and at a time when to get into MIT one pretty much had to just apply in time.

She had some words of caution about posting political opinions in social media and online forums. Especially for the younger lot still not sure where their career will take them or those who might one day apply for government jobs or positions that require security clearance. Applicants can be asked for passwords to social media accounts.

Does she have a point? Is it better to avoid posting strong political opinions in social media and forums, with real name or with an anonymous username? In an unimaginable world could such things end up being a criteria for revoking green card or citizenship? Could it come back to haunt people when they apply for certain high security government jobs?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

2. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

Yes please avoid. Social media views now a days are taken very serious. Lot of analytic companies run lot of algorithms . An average person with less power and money sometimes might have issues if the views are extreme, i do not recommend.

3. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Good thought Rihana. Not only for govt. jobs even for IT jobs also, they check FB and other social medias. Now a days with the internet nothing lies as a secret if you post anything whether they are political views or any other thoughts.
    Timely thread.

SinghManisha, sindmani and Rihana like this.
  4. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Unless you are a political scientist whose livelihood depends on theorizing and purveying commentary on fraught geopolitical predictions or a 90-year-old layabout in a retirement home in Timbuktu, it's best and safe to avoid emphatic sentiments on politics. In the modern-day offer letter of firms who have those funny-looking ottomans and sleek decor, it is mentioned in fine print to not engage in political bickering from office equipment, which includes workstations and laptops provided for your employment, and be mindful of political harangues in the afterhours. The firm is liable! Anonymity is just a fuzzy and warm illusion! Anonymous or not, avoid political speculation like plague in public domain and (easily traceable, which is pretty much every) social media. Your MIT friend is prudent.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  5. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

I am sure some one is watching me on internet and suggesting me by email --> Amazon clip on prestige cooker!

It was few weeks, I was looking for a new pressure cooker. Why on earth, I get email now?

SinghManisha, sindmani and Rihana like this.
  6. Rihana

Thank you for the first response. That was my concern too - average person with less power and money. Do you think it is better to totally eschew political discussion in social media or in some amounts it is fine? Like, if there is a Woman's March to protest something, or a rally to protest separation of families of those crossing border illegally? What if one posts a "hey come out and join the rally" post on FB?

I was actually typing text asking how can regular IT jobs be impacted by some medium political opinion one posts. Then, I suddenly remembered just yesterday I was reading about Amazon going ahead with working with the U.S. Department of Defense, while Google stopped partly due to employee protests, and Microsoft also facing protests from employees if it wants to bid for some govt. contracts. Politics and the workplace, at least the IT workplace, have become too intertwined. A hiring manager could very well reject an applicant for political views without explicitly having to give that as the reason.

SinghManisha and sindmani like this.
  7. Rihana

: ) That job description reminds me of Harry from the book Harry's Trees, in which a little girl named Oriana brings lots of adventure to him and finally deliverance. Yes, Oriana. Once we know an Oriana, the ones that follow are in a way shadows of that. : ) In this case, it came close to a mirror image. : )

True.
    Sigh. True again. Wish it weren't.

: ) I remember the shock of my life when something rare I wrote about in a gmail was recommended on my FB feed to me to buy.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I would still stand my word. I am tamil. I would consider posting Vadivelu meme in my facebook or my pic or kids timepass , rather posting my political opinions. Instead of protest, i might go to a organization and adopt a woman and help her grow up from the state she is in.

no, i can feel sorry but no cannot go public, with family commitments, it is just like movies. if a harm happens to my family, it will hurt me more than help my ego.

sorry if i sound stupid.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

I agree. There is no telling how and when what we write now can come back to haunt us years later. Or even worse, impact our family.

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Considering the security clearances that are revoked for very high profile people in the last two years, security clearances given to a few despite their declarations being revised several times, I have lost faith in the security clearance process itself. But she is right. Those who give security clearances can almost access every possible piece of information anywhere and everywhere. But I don't know how a green card or citizenship could be revoked unless someone commits a treason or bear arms against the US? I doubt mere political opinion domestic or foreign would ever come back to bite. But in the changing world, anything could happen.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018