1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Post Retirement Blues

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Apr 12, 2021.

1. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Glad to know you have two daughters to take care. And health wise no problem. May God keep you healthy and happy always.Daughters.are very caring. Not that sons are not . I have two daughters and one son all loving and caring

joylokhi likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Kudos to Maharaj @HariLakhera for bringing out the desiderata of retired people in this latest blog. The boons seemingly none bane numerous in various strata of retired population.

2. On the floor of the house, minister announced that the DA & DA relief for employees and pensioners that were held up due to covid lock down would be released along with amount due if any with 1 july 2021. This means I shall get the dues of 1jan 20 , 1st july 20 , 1jan 21 along with da increase that might be announced on 1july 21. We are rejoicing as we are likely to get a fat sum credited to in our accounts by july 2021

3. It was on a Friday - My colleague Mr Sivaraman Assisstant Diector - was about to handover charges to designated successor and it was an hour before he was to retire. After garlanding him and thrusting a token gift - a large wall clock- in his hands, I began my speech; mentioning in the farewell party about his career without any blot and his indispensability and his absence would create void et al. Intercepting my speech, our stone-deaf orderly Shri Hanuman brought a pink telegram with XX Marked on it - he gestured it was urgent. I opened it and in awe I read “Mr Sivaram - your services as a special case extended by a year..” that was an order from Honourable Minister and under secretary of Ministry conveyed it. None could believe it until the confirmation copy received next Monday. He turned out to be indispensable indeed!

4. Old Age home ( OAH) is in quite contrast to senior citizen retirement homes. In OAHs , The situation and about treatment the less said the better it is. I had a harrowing exp. In a huge hall cramped with some fifty cots entire space reeking smell was one hell of a place. The inmates are fed up staying their and pray to lord for His early call.
    one retired lady disenchanted with family members and her son and DIL when enquired about her well being, said her entire pension as and when received is transferred to the this old age Home a/c. None in her family is interested in her. Luckily she is free from geriatric issues. In another corner side by side old couple could be seen facing each other chatting with their grand children while a young lady was offering them a beverage from flask.

We’ll to do senior citizens enjoy a lot. Seeing them in pool is great feeling. They enjoy bhajans community food, regular medical check up doctors available
    24x 7. They must have planned well lived the life to the hilt. Children settled abroad remit funds in $ and or £. They enjoy poojas festivals new year eves play housee -housee.

5. The lady initially feels happy as the retired spouse would lend a helping hand in house chores. At times presence of DH felt as friendly enemy. She eventually concludes that his attending office was far good that she could execute tasks at home without any hindrance and criticism. Now she welcomes, if he leaves home as part time worker or as a consultant away from home-scene atleast for few hours.

3. As the clock strikes 9.15AM WHEN STOCK MARKET CHANNEL opens up, a retired man is unhappy because that was the moment he is being ordered to clean and separate leaves from two bundles each of two different varieties of spinach, amaranth or fenugreek greens with advise that it is good for him! Whenever he sits to contemplate with papers and particulars to review investments and returns , there is a woman behind him to instruct or request to get the pressure cooker cleaned and arrange cooking rice or to instruct “when steam issue out of nozzle thick and steady, place the weight over it and when it whistles switch flame to sim and after five and half minutes switch off the burner”. With money & finance at the back of the mind, man was standing in front of gas stove almost ten minutes gone by. From a distance,when he was loudly enquired about switching off, hurriedly he does it. When lid opened later, spouse finds half of cooked rice jumped out of rice container and you know what follows next.

4. There are three things that life would never grant to occur simultaneously.

5. As a boy I had lots of energy & time but no money, as a young man I had energy and money but no time to enjoy and when I am old I realise I have time & money but devoid of energy to enjoy!

6. When grand parents expired, his parents were disposing there paraphernalia. The aluminium plates in which his parents served food to grand parents. The boy grabbed the plates from his mother stating that they are not be disposed as he would need them to serve food to them when they become old!
    Such is the fact of life!
    Thanks and regards.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Kudos to Maharaj @HariLakhera for bringing out the desiderata of retired people in his latest blog. The boons seemingly none; bane numerous in various strata of retired population.

2. In India, finance minister announced on the floor of parliament for release in one go three arrears of instalments of a the compensatory DA increases/relief which was held up Thanks pandemic lock down in last March 2020. Both employees and pensioners are rejoicing as they are likely to get fat sum in their hands by First of july21.

3. It was on a Friday - My colleague Mr Sivaraman - was about to handover charges to designated successor and it was an hour before he was to retire. After garlanding him and thrusting a bouquet and token gift - a wall clock- in his hands, I began my speech mentioning in the farewell party about his career without any blot or blemish and his indispensability and his absence would create void et al. Intercepting my speech, our stone-deaf orderly Shri Hanuman brought a pink telegram with XX Marked on it - he gestured it was urgent. I opened it and in awe I read “Mr Sivaram - your services as a special case extended by a year..” that was an order from Ministry. None could believe it until the confirmation copy received next Monday. He turned out to be indispensable indeed!

4. Old Age home ( OAH) is in quite contrast to senior citizen retirement homes. In OAHs , The situation and about treatment the less said the better it is. In a huge hall, cobwebs overhanging from roof and cramped with some fifty cots space reeking smell all around is one hell of a place to top in. The inmates are fed up staying their and pray to lord for His early call.
    one retired lady disenchanted with family members and her son and DIL when enquired about her well being, said her entire pension as and when received is transferred to the Home a/c. None in her family is interested in her. Luckily she is free from geriatric issues. In another corner side by side old couple could be seen facing each other chatting with their grand children while a young lady was offering them a beverage from flask.

5. Well- to -do senior citizens enjoy a lot. Seeing them in pool is exhilaration! They enjoy bhajans community food, regular medical check up, doctors readily available 24x 7. They must have planned well lived the life to the hilt. Children settled abroad remit funds in $ and or £. They enjoy poojas festivals new year eves play housee -housee.

6. The lady initially feels happy as the retired spouse would lend a helping hand in house chores. At times presence of DH felt as friendly enemy. She eventually concludes that his attending office was far better that she could execute tasks at home without any hindrance and criticism. Now she welcomes, if he leaves home as part time worker or as a consultant away from home-scene for few hours.

7. As the clock strikes 9.15AM - STOCK MARKET opens up, retired man is unhappy because that was the moment he is being ordered to clean and separate leaves from two bundles each of two different varieties of spinach, amaranth or fenugreek greens with advise that it is good for him. Whenever he sits to contemplate with papers and particulars to review investments and returns , there is a woman behind him to instruct or request to get the pressure cooker cleaned and arrange cooking rice or to instruct “when steam issue out of nozzle thick and steady place the weight over it and when it whistles switch flame to swim and after five and half minutes switch off the burner”. With money & finance at the back of the mind, retired man was standing in front of gas stove almost ten minutes gone by. From a distance, when she loudly enquires about gas being switching off, hurriedly he does it. When she opened lid later, she finds half of cooked rice jumped out of container and you know what follows next.
    8. “Lot of Time and energy available when I was a boy. But no money to enjoy.
    When I had lot of money and youth, I had no time to enjoy.
    And when I had lots of money & time at my disposal, I have no energy to enjoy” thus bemoans many old senior pals.
    9. When grand parents gone, there paraphernalia being disposed off. Two aluminium plates - the boy snatched from parents. These were plates in which food was served to grand parents. Boys dad & mom puzzled and asked, why?
    Boy said, I need the plates to serve you food when you get old.
    Life is like that!

Thanks and Regards.

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for this balanced approach to retirement and old age. Old age is a huge subject. Retirement must be taken as an opportunity to do what we could not do while working-like visiting places, going out frequently till health permits.

joylokhi likes this.
  5. GregoriaBoul

GregoriaBoul Silver IL'ite

Good luck on your journey. Wishing you good health.

HariLakhera likes this.