Post-Pregnancy Weight Management

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Nila, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Belt to reduce post-pregnancy tummy

Hello Moms out here,

I need an info and hope many of you would be able to help me out with it.

I am looking for a belt that I can wear to reduce my post pregnancy tummy. I had a c-section and I am having a small tummy since my delivery. My OB has adviced moderate exercising and walking to reduce my tummy and I was also told that breastfeeding will help reduce the size of the uterus back to pre-pregnancy size, as a result reducing the tummy.

However, I am looking for a belt that I can use to reduce my post-pregnancy tummy. Please advice the shops in the US where I can get such belts, what it is exactly called as and the section in which I can find them.

TIA,

Nila

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Nila,

You can find the tummy reducing belt in Babiesrus local store.

Happy motherhood!

3. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

What is it called?

Hi Vidhya,

I would also like to buy this belt for my sister in India.

What is the name of the belt? Tummy reducing belt or belly belt?

When I search online most of them seem to bring results of belts that is worn during pregnancy time to expand or hold pants around the pregnancy belly.

I did try in the local babies r us and could not find one. Some one told me it will be available in wal-mart (or) pharmacy stores like walgreens or cvs.

Any addtional inputs will be of great help. Thanks.

Roshni

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2006
  4. Lakshmivinoth

Lakshmivinoth Senior IL'ite

Dear Nila,

I had a normal delivery (On Feb 16th). The nanny who came to massage and bathe me and my baby, took a voil (Smooth cotton) saree and wrapped it arround my tummy. She would tie it very very tight....as tight as possible. I would remove the saree after 18-20 hrs and tie it once again after bath. This gave a very good result. Infact, most of our elderly women in India suggest to tie saree across your tummy. I checked with the nanny whether same procedure can be applied for ladies who had C-section delivery. she said "Yes" but only around 2-3 weeks after the delivery. Also, do take suggestion of your elders.

Regards

Lakshmi

2 people like this.
  5. sree

sree New IL'ite

Abdominal binder

Hi nila,
    It's called the abdominal binder. I had a c-section too and when I was in hospital my doc ordered it for me and the hospital staff gave me one the next day. But both the doctor and the hospital staff suggested it's not going to work,the only way you can reduce your tummy is excercise and diet. And breast feeding helps the utreus to contract into the original size. But as lakshmi said the saree thing really makes a difference, my sis had normal delivery and she tied the saree and worked for her. But for me i didn't try it becoz i had the surgery. May be you can try the girdle which you get in "Victoria secrets".

1 person likes this.
  6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

saree

I think the saree method suggested has its origin in Kerala. If I am not wrong,it is called the 'onthara'.Some of the elder women in Kerala use this method on a daily basis.This serves like an undergarment for them. My late grandmother taught my sister how to do this after my sis's delivery. I too tried it for a few days for a few hrs after my delivery.Because of this,it did not give me the desired effect.

You should tie it all the time and also keep lying down flat most of the time (atleast 1 month after delivery) to have good results. In Malabar,they used to follow elaborate post -delivery healing methods which were very effective. They used to apply thailam and sit for hrs before bath,they used to consume a lot of lehyams,strict diets etc after delivery and those things really helped. My grandmother knew most of these things and that is the reason why most of my aunts have ended up with very good health and a flat stomach even after 2 deliveries each.

7. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Roshini,
    It is the same pregnancy belt, that also can be used for tummy reduction.
    It is used both ways, but I do not know how effective it is for tummy reduction.
    I wear it as supportive belt in my pregnancy to minimize back pain and weight bearing. I am yet to use it after the delivery.

8. Nila

Nila New IL'ite

Tummy reducing belt from India

I got a post pregnancy tummy reducing belt from India. My folks in India said they got it from Naidu Hall. I am using it now and I was told it should be worn throughout day and night continously. I was told it is also a good support to the back post-pregnany especially if you have had a c-section. I just started using it.

L,
    Nila

9. sujathanattamai

sujathanattamai New IL'ite

reduce tummy after c section

Dear all,

will u please anyone help me in reducing tummy after c-section

Sujatha

10. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite