1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Post pregnancy tummy/ Insufficient Milk flow - seeking suggestions to reduce it

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by Swathivenkat, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Swathivenkat

Swathivenkat New IL'ite

Dear All,

I have a baby with 6 months of age.I had undergone C Section with some complications.I was very healthy and perfect at the time of pregnancy, no health complaints at all.

I have two problems after delivery.

Now my tummy looks as iam 4 moonths pregnant.

AND

Insufficient milk for breast feeding from the day of delivery.which made me very upset, coz iam very much intrested to feed my baby for more than a year.last week she fell sick, doctor asked me to stop brest feeding, now the milk flow is worst, iam not able to feed her.

Can you pleae suggest me ideas to increase the milk.:cry:

I BEG YOU FOR THIS.IAM REALLY CRYING THAT IAM NOT ABLE TO FEED HER, IT MAKES ME DEPRESSED EVERY SEC EVEN WHEN IAM IN OFFICE.

HOPE YOU ALL UNDERSTAND MY TWO BIG CONCERNS AND HELP PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE:bowdown:bang

2. Swathivenkat

Swathivenkat New IL'ite

So many views, but no one to help meeeeeeee

3. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

I have heard a lot that saunf water helps in increasing breast milk in mothers.
    You can try that as its a simple remedy.
    You can also consult ayurvedic doc and get meds for that. Have heard that they have tonics/meds for that. goodluck!!

4. pinksugar

pinksugar Gold IL'ite

i forgot to mention....... that remedy is for insuff breast milk only. tummy problem i dont know..maybe someone else can help you on that..

5. djain

djain Bronze IL'ite

You can have plenty of milk in a day . also try to eat coconut, dates & proper meals.. this should help u increasing ur flow.

& for tummy, even i m looking for some help.. my son is going to complete 1 yr & my tummy is same like urs... :(

6. Vasupradha

Vasupradha Gold IL'ite

Hi Swathi,

Please don be depressed. Seriously, It wil affect the milk flow... Eat fruits and have a glass of milk,( more thick , not to dilute much with water ) both in morning and in evening.. Then you can steam the garlic pieces ( 5 or 6 ) but fleshy one.. and consume it raw, with some milk and take Horlicks...( I personally feel ordinary Horlicks better than Mother's Horlicks )., and you can add 3 or 4 spoons ( according to taste ) in a glass of hot water with sugar at night, which will increase the milk flow... then while drinking milk add the powder MAMA Protein X ... And can ask your doc for some tablets to increase the flow...Myself is consuming Relact... and is good with no side effects... I am sharing my experience only..and you choose the best suits you...Consume more rice than tiffin items... and to reduce your tummy, walk a kilometer daily in the morning and evening and do the maximum number of times., the post natal exercises...Enjoy your time with your baby...My wishes!!!!!!

Vasupradha.S

7. caringwoman

caringwoman New IL'ite

Swathi - I went through the same problem of insufficient milk with my daughter 2.5 yrs ago and I can understand your agony. So here goes my lengthy post , but hope it helps.

First coming to your query, here are the tips I received from different sources reg increasing the milk production to the extent possible:

1) If you are a non-vegetarian, eat lot of fish & mutton, these are supposed to help.

2) Among vegetarian foods: Raw papaya curry (I see your location as Hyd, hence giving the telugu name, bobbasakaya koora - not the bobbasa pandu) ; Telagapindi koora (sorry, not sure what it is called in English); Dondakaaya ; plenty of spinach(Palak) (by plenty atleast 250 gm palak per day), easiest way to consume this quantiy is either as soup or just boiled leaves. You must have 1 litre of milk (high Calcium & fat) - if you can't have so much milk , have in the form of paneer, cheese , soup etc.

3) My doc prescribed Lactare (pink color capsules). Also there is an ayurvedic medicine called Galakol & Alfa Alfa in Homeo both of which are supposed to boost milk production. Please consult a doc before going for these
    options.

4) Lots & Lots of Garlic (raw or Chutney)

4) Adequate food and sleep in general & peace of mind is a must as tensions can also reduce milk production

I followed all the above, however my situation was slightly different, so am not sure which of them helped me. I am explaining my case below, in case you or someone else finds it useful.

My case is different because my DD never learn to breast feed from me. I tried my best with the help of elders , nurses to extent that my breasts were bruised black and blue, but she never learnt. So I used to extract breast milk with a pump every 2 hrs to simulate the baby suckling into a bottle and feed her from the bottle just so she gets mother's milk. As you know, it is the baby's suckling that triggers the milk production, my gynaec told me to be prepared for gradual decrease in milk production since no medicines or breast pump can help if the baby is not sucking with mouth. But right from the beginning because of her not Bf-ing directly my milk production was only abt 50% of her requirement and the remaining I used to give formula feed (If at all you go for this option, I was told that lactogen is not good in terms of nutrients, nan1 or Enfamil are better options). I did this till she was 6 months old and by then I was diagnosed with severely high levels of Hypothyroid and was asked to stop breast feeding.

Now I am 8 months pregnant and hoping for a healthy baby that will be able to latch on and suckle !

8. Swathivenkat

Swathivenkat New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.Gonna try all these..

Can you explain which form of fennel seeds intake will help in breast feeding.

9. lucky2

lucky2 Platinum IL'ite

frequent feedind is the only way to increase milk supply n im my case i too dint feel like i hav enuf but drs n medical staff insisted me to breast feed n convinced me that babyz digestive system size wud be as small as marble...n i used to take coffe n milk bread from the very 1st day n finally on 5th day i strted feeling milk leaking n dress used to get drained wid the milk..!
    u bettr try taking coffee n ppl say fenugreek supplements also increase milk supply!most important is dont get depressed n it wud lower ur supply..!
    and abt tummy..my son is 10 mnths old n i dint loose much weight..!
    my tummy looks as if im 6 mnths pregnant..!may be once im back to household chores wud help me loose weight hopefully..!
    al the best

10. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Take fenugreek seeds. I read it in babycenter.in that researches have shown that fenugreek helps in milk production. They have a tea recipe for it. My colleagues wife noticed an increase in the milk after having fenugreek in many forms.(her MIL added it to idly, sambhar, curry)