1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Positive thinking

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by SubhaD, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SubhaD

SubhaD New IL'ite

Hello ILites!
    Me: Every day, when I comb my hair, some of it falls off. At this rate, the day is not far off before I go bald.
    Husband: At least, you HAVE hair to fall!
    Well!! ... that set me thinking. What a positive way to think!
    There are many such situations in our daily lives, where we may get disappointed, sad, depressed, etc. But think about these from a new angle and you can feel your spirits soar.
    Would love to hear your experiences too, ladies.
    Regards,
    SubhaD

sindmani likes this.

2. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear subha,
    Rightly said.We always look at the ones who are better than us:cry: ,who are beautiful than us:cry: .An old saying still a gold saying that look at the ones whose lives are worser than us and feel satisfied than going to the ones who are higher than us.Good post:2thumbsup:

BC

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
    sindmani likes this.
  3. SubhaD

SubhaD New IL'ite

Thanks, Bhargavi!

4. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

It is the tendency of the human mind to cling to the negative.
    We have to charge of our mind and rise above that.
    A friend of mine shared this example with me once:
    If someone says "I love you", your mind tends to think "Really? does he really love me"
    But if someone says "I hate you", you have no second thoughts, you know the person really hates you.
    We have to overcome this tendency to be able to enjoy life to its fullest.
    Easy to preach, but hard to follow :)

sindmani likes this.
  5. SubhaD

SubhaD New IL'ite

Very true, Malathy. I guess we have to make a conscious effort to look at the positive aspects and catch ourselves before we lean towards the negative side of everything.
    Regards,
    SubhaD

sindmani likes this.
  6. SubhaD

SubhaD New IL'ite

Sorry I got your name wrong, Mythili.

7. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi!
    Nice thread going on here.

It's indeed very true that mind tends to cling to the negative. A renowed spiritual leader in one of his teachings said, "If we are given nine compliments & one insult, the mind tends to focus not on the nine compliments but on the one insult & it keeps lingering on in the mind for days".

I personally believe (through experience, of course!) that though it might seem difficult to follow, it's not impossible to tune our mind to look at the positive side of life or any situation for that matter.

Cheers!
    Ragini.

sindmani likes this.
  8. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear mythili,
    What you said is two hundred percent right:yes: :2thumbsup: .Really i used to tell this but in some other context to others.only negative things strikes our mind.But it is highly difficult but still possible to take things lightly and positively,and to lead life to the fullest.

sindmani likes this.
  9. sunitak

sunitak Junior IL'ite

Positive Advice Story - Look Within Ourselves.

A man feared his wife wasn't hearing as well as she used to and he thought, she might need a hearing aid . Not quite sure how to approach her, he called the family Doctor to discuss the problem. The Doctor told him there is a simple informal test, the husband could perform to give the Doctor, a better idea about her hearing loss.

"Here's what you do," said the Doctor," stand about 40 feet away from her, and in a normal conversational speaking tone, see if she hears you. If not, go to 30 feet, then 20 feet, and so on until you get a response".

That evening, the wife is in the kitchen, cooking dinner, and he was in the den. He says to himself, "I'm about 40 feet away, let's see what happens".

Then in a normal tone he asks, 'Honey, what's for dinner?" No response.

So, the husband moves to closer to the kitchen, about 30 feet from his wife and repeats, "Honey, what's for dinner?" Still no response.

Next, he moves into the dining room where he is about 20 feet from his wife and asks, "Honey, what's for dinner?" Again he gets no response.

So, he walks up to the kitchen door, about 10 feet away. "Honey, what's for dinner?" Again there is no response.

So, he walks right up behind her." Honey, what's for dinner?" "James, for the FIFTH time I've said, CHICKEN!"

Sometimes, the problem may not be with the other one as we always think, could be, very much within us..! Lets look within ourselves before we find fault with others.......

sindmani likes this.
  10. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    YES, Positive thinking is so important in life.
    Other wise we will be in pain and get all sorts of health problems too.
    'PIPS' -- Phsycologically Induced Pain syndrom plays a major part with health problems. SO we should never allow our sub-conscious mind to rule us with negative thoughts.

Thanks,
    Punitha

sindmani likes this.