1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curlytweethere, Sep 7, 2022.

1. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

2. curlytweethere

Think about Padayappa and Neelambari scene where they meet after 20 years or may be more real scenario where Jaya wins the election and becomes the CM for the first time and enters the assembly where she was insulted and happens to meet Karunanidhi.
    They amount of hatred they have for each other but yet have to be civil and pleasant that is what is in this scene. The two ladies hate each other but have to be civil.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

A message from my class mate in engg.
    Quote:Sorry about it1 I haven't realized that the TN/ Indian news that I get from other friends / groups in India must have already reached you all and there is no point in my repeating the same again. Have a great day1
    By the by, we are seeing Ponniyin Selvan on Friday, 30 September 2022, in the theatre! at 10 20 a.m. NZ time, that is 03 10 a.m. IST. (need something to boast about!) .unquote.
    Such is the power of this ps story and the build up...

4. balakrish

balakrish Platinum IL'ite

Watched the movie. Not exactly sure how to summarize it.

Probably the best way is to say that Mani has made an excellent two and a half hour trailer for a 25 hour movie which he is never going to make. Just like a good trailer, it has stunning visuals, slick editing, great costume, photography, choreography, background score, the actors show a brief overview of the character they play, excellent casting and there is no feel to the movie.

I heard from a few folks after the movie that the pace was great and things kept on moving and not much dull moments. Some people will see it like that. However if you haven't read the book, I think you will be watching a different movie than what the book has to offer. Someone watching the movie, will they want to read the book is doubtful to me.

Things which were done well:
    1. Production value was great.
    2. Karthi got the best space in the movie and used it well.
    3. Aishwarya showed what she could do with the role
    4. Trisha, Jayaram, Vikram had at least one scene where they could show something.
    5. I liked the rustic feel of the movie and I didn't feel much dependence on special effects which was great.

What was not done well:
    1. There was no emotional connect with the characters. There wasn't any space given to feel connected anywhere.
    2. Mani makes a blunder of changing the DNA of a character. Just as he loves to show Ravan as good and Ram as bad which to me is unacceptable I felt Nandini and Aditya karikalan characters were flipped in the movie which is bad.
    3. Mani had two choices. Either give well defined characters or throw as many characters without importance to anyone. Much like iruvar, he chose the later. When AL Vijay made thalaivi, he did the former.

5. Thyagarajan

Thank you Sir.
    I heard Ponni was name of a river that branched out of River Kaveri. Has it been brought out
    In the film?
    What about voice of Aishwarya rai Bachchan dubbed by Deepa Venkat?
    What do you feel about the costume designer? Would you assign five stars?
    Regards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    balakrish likes this.
  6. balakrish

The entire movie is made up of sequences such that if you blink you miss. I dont remember reference to ponni nadhi as the branched out river of kaveri. But I could have missed. There is reference to why ponniyin selvan is called so.

The voice of Aishwarya was terrific. Thats the first thing I noticed in the movie.
    Costume designer is definitely five stars. Wonderfully done for everyone in the movie, particularly kundavai and nandini.

Mani has thrown lot of money into the movie and the richness of the movie is visible in every frame. Thats one reason I decided to pay premium price to watch the movie, or else such movies cannot be made if the makers dont get the money back.

The visuals are simply spectacular and should be watched in theatre.

7. Thyagarajan

Thanks BK.
    Regards.

balakrish likes this.
  8. balakrish

I also wanted to add that Trisha's voice is also terrific and well suited to the role.

Sarathkumar and Parthiban had some screen time and did their roles well.

9. indubalram

indubalram IL Hall of Fame

Mani did not throw his money! The producer had been v generous!
    Aishwarya looks v old and aged. The only person worth watching is Trisha and jayam Ravi!
    Music looks more modern than classical! Wish spb voice was there. Rahman could have used sid sriram voice.

candidheart and curlytweethere like this.
  10. curlytweethere

Harry Potter 7 books -8 movies
    Game of thrones 5 books - 8 seasons
    Hunger games 3 books - 4 movies
    I can go on with twilight , 50 shades of grey etc etc

For those who are familiar with books it makes sense though we would miss few scenes. For those who did not it may seem rushed and confusing since the character establishment wasn't possible with so many things to be squeezed it.
    Were the actors good - yes
    Was is it technically sound - yes
    Locations costumes or anything other department - yes they were good
    But did the movie work for me - No
    Whatever portions of the novel was in the movie it would have been wonderful as a 10-15 episodes. But at the same time I know how many times this movie was shelved due to financial constraints. Although most of the mainstream actors are now active in the Web series it is still going to take some time for the Indian Web series to spend so much of time and money for a Web series. But whatever I saw on screen was brilliant and I missed few things that could not be translated to the screen

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022