1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan

Discussion in 'Movies' started by curlytweethere, Sep 7, 2022.

1. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

PS1 the trailer is finally out. What are your expectations on this? Have you read the book? There definitely is comparison b/w PS-1 and Bahubali. I want to read the book before watching.

2. stayblessed

stayblessed Platinum IL'ite

I have very low expectations. I read it in my teenage and was awestruck at the brilliance of the plot. It was the first historical fiction novel I read. I remember my moms scoldings for reading it day and night. I also took leave on a Friday just so I could finish it through the weekend. Crazy days.

I dont think the magnificence of the novel can be captured in the movie. But curious to watch it in big screen and I do hope I am proved false and the film becomes a success. I haven't liked manirathnam for a long time now. He simply rides on the good technical teams work is my opinion. I dont like ravi as arulmozhi or Karthi as Vandhiyadevan but Jayaram as aazhvarkadiyan is a good choice. Yeah do read the novel but 5 big volumes.

3. stayblessed

The songs aren't that great. But the trailer looks promising.

4. curlytweethere

curlytweethere Platinum IL'ite

Yeah since I haven't read the book I am ok with the characters except that of jayam ravi. Raja raja cholan being the titular character should have been done by a better actor. Who would be your choice for Raja raja cholan?

Thyagarajan and stayblessed like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Raja Raja Chozan, the king of kings, would have been so much better played by Vikram. Wish he was Raja Raja instead of Aditha Karikalan.

Kundhavai, that powerful character, would have been so much better had Manju Warrier played it.

Jayaram is the best choice for Azhwarkadiyan Nambi .

The pazhuvetteyars, I’m glad Sarath kumar and Prathiban are the two characters.

Prakash Raj is going to be awesome as Sundara Chozha.

Aishwarya Lakshmi is going to be a good poonkuzhali.

Rahman is a good choice for Madhuranthaka Chozha.

Karthi as Vandiyadevan - I’ve no comments. I haven’t seen him act much.

Why oh why is Aishwarya Rai in the pivotal dual role :BangHead::BangHead: ??

6. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

My all time fav book and read many times..

I liked the trailer and looks like mani ratnam changed the story here and there for movie..
    Still it looks promising, Hopefully movie turns out well. And nice to see all biggies are supporting the movie

My take on characters

1. Vandhiyadevan - Karthi is good choice, he can easily suit the character

2. Adhithya karikalan - Vikram is good choice, however, i am not a big fan of vikram..

3. Arul mozhi varman - Even though he is title character, his role is not very big in the story, so Jeyam ravi ok..

4. Kundhavai - absolutely no, my choice was old anushka (atleast 10 years back), she was perfect for kundhavai's face, the same oval facem sharp nose etc, Else deepika padukone

5. Nandhini - AIshwarya rai is good choice, but definitely very old for the character

6. Azhwarkadiyan - Perfect and most awaiting

7. Madhuranthagan - rahman too old for that character, someone young should be casted

8. Periya pazhuvettayar - Sarath looks good

9. chinna pazhuvettayar - parthiban looks good

10. Kandhamaaran - vikram prabhu looks good

11, Poonguzhali - looks beautiful

12. vaanadhi - ok choice, someone more innocent face needed for that.

Rest like sundara chozhar, sembian maadhevi, malayamaan etc and all ok..
    DOnt know who is playing anirutha brammayarayar and sendhan amudhan character..

Eagerly waiting to see in big screens..

7. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

I share the same opinion of Mani "sir". His last good movie was Azhaipayuthey imo. he has lost his stuff. the last movie I watched of his is Raavanan, and thereafter avoid his movies like the plague
    But this movie would definitely be a success, not because it is a Mani movie, but because of the huge fans of the novel itself. The ardent fans of the novel would be eager to watch the story unfold in cinema.

I have tried hard to finish reading the story, but always gave up because there were too many characters introduced , and got difficult to remember and would get confused. I think I finished 1 volume. Gave up reading later. But then I listened to an youtube channel where they narrated a summarized version. Even with just that knowledge of the story , I got excited watching the trailer (except for Trisha and Karthi scene), , seeing the characters come live on screen. enakey apidina, I can imagine everyone who has read the entire novel.

On that account alone the movie would definitely do extremely well at the least in Tamilnadu, Outside the state for those who have not read the book, it will be just another historic king movie and comparison to Bahubali is inevitable. Rajamouli has already set a standard after all.

As far as the music, totally disappointed. Nothing majestic or royal or historic. Ar Rehman is following footsteps of Mani sir. too modern for an historic, epic film. Bahubali music was awesome and apt for the periodic film. It was such big strength for the movie, Keeravani rocked!

As far as character choices I feel Trisha is a misfit. Aishwaryai is a good choice. Karthi as vandhiyathevan -meh
    The pazhuvettaraiyargal -good choice. Azhwarkadiyan/Jayaram is best.

At the end of the day, even if this movie was directed by any other director it would do reasonably well. it is not a Mani's movie, but Kalki's movie :) Mani is smart to have chosen to do this movie.

Nevertheless, I am eagerly waiting to watch the movie.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
  8. stayblessed

My choice would be Arun vijay for Raja raja chozhan and Nani for Vandhiya devan. I am okay with Aishwarya rai being Nandhini but would have preferred Anu sithara over her. She has beautiful eyes, and what do we say, there is a vulnerability in her face which would perfectly suit nandhinis role because men fell for her vulnerable beauty which she used it to her advantage. Nandhini is a fictional character and doesnt have anything to do with chozha dynasty, rest all characters are real. But Kalki had kept her as the central character. So nandhinis casting is critical, then again dont know how much creative freedom has been taken by the director. A little weight reduction and Anu can do magic on the screen. Trisha as kundavai is again a bad choice, would have preferred Sai Pallavi over her.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2022
    Swetha52003 and curlytweethere like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:The pleasure in reading the novel is not going to be there watching it on celluloid! This is my considered opinion! In story we dont get to see the image or profile and suspense of one person but represents two characters in the story easily maintained.

10. candidheart

candidheart IL Hall of Fame

Completely agree. celluloid cannot bring in the same depth as reading a novel. But would still be worth a watch to see our favorite characters take shape unless it is terribly messed up.