1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by kalar, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ramyasundar

ramyasundar Junior IL'ite

dear vardhini,

thanks a lot for the this, i was searching for a long time,

i am mad of kalki's work, only a thanks is not enough,

lots lots of thanks,,,,,, i dont know what to say,

thanks a lot dear.

:wow

2. Successpriya

Successpriya Silver IL'ite

Some how i missed this thread...Now i''m reading ponniyen selvan 5th part now....
    This my 12 or 13 th time...I will forget everything happening around me if i take the book...My all time favorite is Sivakamiyen Sabatham....,

3. sowmyasridhar

sowmyasridhar Senior IL'ite

I read PS during my 12th leave. Most unforgettable book of my life. I still remember my mom scolding me as 'Pisasu'..My dad will get one volume of the book from lending library, he will come home by 8.30 P.M. I will be eagerly waiting for him. Start reading the book and finish the volume within the same night and ask him for the next volume the very next day..I finished the book in 5 days...

I like Poongulali, Vanthiyathevan and Kundavi.

Then I read most of the kalki novels

Ponniyin Selvan
    Alai Osai
    Sivagamin Sabatham
    Parthiban Kanavu
    Kaniyaliyin Kanavu
    Jamindar Magan
    Magudapathy
    Ponman karadu
    Solaimalai Ilavarasai
    Thiyaga Boomi
    Mayilakalai
    Mogini Theevu
    A book he has written about his journey experiences and the places he visited to write PS.

This triggered me a passion for historical books. And read many and shall quote few which I liked

Kadal Pura by Sandilyan
    Yavana Rani by Sandilyan

Udayar by Balakumaran.
    Kalar, Udayar is also good. A typical balakumaran style. But Kalki is genius..I felt Udayar, could have been a bit short and I was not able to feel the history as like PS. It is more about periakoil and Rajendra Cholan. It is all about how they built the temple.

Nandipura Nayagi by Vikraman
    Kannadasan's Seraman Kadhali.

Happy reading :).

4. pussy

pussy Gold IL'ite

Hi All,:iagree

Nice topic.I love ponnian selvan.I dont have words to describe my feelings about this Novel.
    One of the best novels in tamil. The character narration and the way he decribes every place,situation is simply superb...
    I like Vandiyathevan very much ...

5. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Ohhh these many lovers of Ponniyin selvan Great :thumbsup ... I have read it N number of times ...never felt bored ....

My favourites are :

1. Kaaviya thalaivan - Vallavarayan vandhiya thevan
    2. Pazhuvettaraiyar
    3. Kundavai
    4. Vanathi
    5. Nandini
    6. Aazhvaarkadiyan

Each and every house in our family has one copy of this "Ponniyin selvan" which all treat as treasure... After my marriage even i got one from book exhibition...Those days we used to collect from the magazine and bind them with big sized calendar numbers as label and serialnumber for the respective book..All of us have amini library..

6. SPreethi

SPreethi Silver IL'ite

Hi IL's,

Im very happy to see a thread on PS :). The book was introduced to me by by my mom when i was doing my 8th std. Now even after 15 years thats my favorite book. My husband bought the whole volume before our marriage to present it to me. I intend to introduce that book to my daughter when she can read.

My favorite characters are
    Vandiyathevan :cheers:cheers
    Alavarkadiyan
    Ponkulali.

Of course the others too.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Preethi

7. jeya0110

jeya0110 Senior IL'ite

wow.... Hats off to the thread starter.. Such a marvelous book... Only after reading PS i got glued to historic novels.. I have read most of the sandilyan novels but none could withstand PS descriptions or Kalki's narration. Man its awesome..
    And thanks for letting me know that nandapurathu nayagi is the continuation of PS. My mom was telling there is one, but she dint remember exactly which one... The first thing i would do this weekend is to buy that book and complete.. Will post comments on them soon...

Regards,
    Jeya.

8. samarsundari

samarsundari Bronze IL'ite

Hey i too like the Novel, i complete the novel with in 1 week while i was in bench :rotfl. B'cos of my interest my DH bought me Sivagamiyin Sabatham and Parthiban kanavu as my B'day gift. I completed that too. But my first choice and vote to PS only. Wht other novels will be good. Can any one pls suggest me planning to get that books.

Which character u all like in the novel? I like poongulali and vanniathevan

9. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi sundari,

Ofcourse i liked Vandhiyathevan But i loved pazhuvettayar and Kundhavai too..I have read it nearly 6 times i suppose

"Parthiban Kanavu" was the first novel in my lifetime..I was studying 7th or 8th i suppose..we have a mini library @ home...Members in my family used to gather series from wekly issues and bind them..Those are our treasure

Last week while shifting to a new place my co-sis found Sivagamiyin sabatham and gave to me..completed 3 parts in 3 days...for the past days i was bit busy so eagerly waiting to home and finish off the rest

10. samarsundari

samarsundari Bronze IL'ite

I think chindhuja will finish the remaining part in this weekend :)