1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by kalar, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Monicz

Monicz New IL'ite

Hi TDU,
    I was wondering how to get the book here in S'pore. Thank you very much sharing that site. I've started to read and its fabulous! Reading is always fabulous to me!

2. v.gajalakshmi

v.gajalakshmi New IL'ite

thank you for the wounderful website. actually i am searching for that books. thanks once again

3. Jayalakshmiraj

Jayalakshmiraj New IL'ite

Oh .. Too good..
    But PArthibhan Kanavu too was simply touching..

4. bliss 1

bliss 1 New IL'ite

PS is simply superb !! I have so far read it atleast 20 times.... I first read it when in college. I had come home for study hols when I happened to see it. Once I started reading, I found myself glued to it and all I did apart from sleeping, praying, bathing was to read, read and read :coffee. It pulled my mother's nerves as I did not even interact sorry react to my surroundings !! I finished all the vol in 2 days. Got lakshaarchanai from my mother and this was her comment " if u sincerely study for ur exams like this u'll defenitely come up wth a university rank !! " and she was so thankful to Amarar that PS did not have more than 5 vol !!

5. kalar

kalar Junior IL'ite

Hi all,

Nice to know so many PS fans are there. Just now I finished reading Sivagamiyin Sabatham. Some how I did not find it interesting as PS. When I started reading PS it was being sucked into a magical black hole where there is no return. For two weeks (till I finished reading PS) I was walking, talking, sleeping PS. Till now that magic is there. Some how I feel that magic is missing in SS. What you people say.

I want to pose a query to all you PS fans. Do you think it's better than Sivagamiyin Sabatham or the latter is your preferred choice. As far as I am concerned it is PONNIYIN SELVAN - FOR ITS NARRATION, IMAGINATION, CHARACTER DESCRIPTION ETC. - the greatest work of Amarar Kalki ever.

Thanks to Amarar Kalki:cheers

Kala

6. bliss 1

bliss 1 New IL'ite

My vote 4 PS

Hi Kalar,
    I have read SS and also Parthibhan kanavu. My vote only for PS :yes:Amarar's narration about the scenic fertile Thanjavur, the kanmaais, and such descriptions, his characterisations, covering every aspect of the nava rasas........mm:banana v can go on telling abt PS like this. He takes us to that era actually and for us to come back its really difficult, isnt it :rolleyes:

7. anbu

anbu New IL'ite

Hi All,
    Nice topic.I love ponnian selvan.I dont have anywords to describe my feelings abt ps.
    One of the best historical novels in tamil.The character narration and the way he decribes every place,situation is simply superb...
    I like Arulmozhi as well as Vandiyathevan...Both are really good in their attitude....:hatsoff

Hats of Kalki....

8. sumiram

sumiram New IL'ite

I loved Ponniyin Selvan. Kalki is able to transform us to that period through his words. I'm trying to find the book Amarathara written by Kalki to gift it to my mother. But unable to find a copy of the book in the nearby bookstores. Does anyone know if the book is available in any particular bookstore in Chennai? Thanks.

9. durgees

durgees Bronze IL'ite

Hi all,

I have the pdf of PS, PK, Alai osai. Do tell me if anyone needs them.

Am reading PS for the second time, along with my husband, everyday some chapters before going to bed. My husband has never read a tamil novel, and he is not interested too. But once I asked him to start reading this book with me, he is now almost gone to those days. He used to call himself by some historic name in that, as Boodhi vikrama kesari, Pazhuvettaraiyar etc. We are in 5th part of it now.

No one can ever write such a narrative story, and that too, he has to match with the original events at times. He must have done so many research work before writing all those.

After reading that, I madly wanted to visit Srilanka in my lifetime once. As my husband hails from Thanjavur and me from Kumbakonam, we are able to feel all the places in that. Kundhavai was also my favorite after Arul mozhi and Vallavaraiyan. My husband like Alwarkkadiyan very much.

~Durga

10. priyamahendran

priyamahendran New IL'ite

Ponniyin Selvan - Best book i have ever read

hiiiiii everybody,

I joined this wonderful forum only a week ago. Still iam just browsing the threads and dumbstruck with the activities so far carried. I wish i could have joined earlier.

Reagarding the months forum...........

The best book i have read so far would be ponniyin selvan. Can we beleive even after decades people are discussing the novel and there are various groups and forums continously debating about this. Though there has been complaints about the younger generation that they are hooked to the idiot box and the reading habit has taken a deep dive, the discussions and the passion for this particular book does prove otherwise.
    It is only in this novel i see the main character been sidelined and the supporting character gaining all the popularity and huge fan following.

Currently iam reading three authors books in a row. Means, i get simultaneously three books of different authors from the library and complete within a week.
    Right now, the list is sidney sheldon( completed almost 90% of his books) Mary higgins clark(50%) and Nora Roberts ( just 3 books)...........

Hope to participate more in the future.

Lastly, i wud like to thank everyone for their wonderful contributions especially slokas and receipes( just went through those two threads till now).

:clap:thumbsup

Regards,

priyamahendran