1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ponniyin Selvan

Discussion in 'Books & Authors in Regional Languages' started by kalar, Oct 18, 2007.

1. kalar

kalar Junior IL'ite

Hi everybody

Has anyone read Amarar Kalki's Ponniyin Selvan? For me it was a mind blowing experience. All these years whenever I used to see some one referring or speaking about it in magazine or TV I used to think why all these adulation for a story. But now I have realised after reading. It is simply a life changing experience for me. I could not stop reading once I started. I took around 10 days to finish all the volumes. First I thought it is a herculean task to finish it. But once I started the story narration is such that you feel like reading more. Hats off to Amarar Kalki. He captivates the reader's mind after 50 years of its publication also. The descriptions, the plot, the way he has woven the story, even though it speaks about 1000 year old Chola kings and kingdom are really commendable. I liked all the characters in the epic but my favourite is Vanthiyadevan.

I would be very happy if anyone share their views.

Thanx

Kala:wave:thankyou2::smile:

1 person likes this.

Similar Threads
    1. curlytweethere
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. curlytweethere
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. gayababu
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

hi kala

yes me too...I started reading ponniyin selvan when i was in india was working and i came to US jus two months back. Am stil reading that book. When i was in india while going to office and while coming back from office i use to read atleast 2 or 3 pages. Thts an awesome book and i dont have words to speak or write. Actually am reading it for the second time. Such a wonderful story and amarar kalki has brought those golden old dayz before us in such a manner which we cannot forget til our lifetime. I really enjoy reading that book for "n" no. of times. As i cannot work here in US my only entertainment is this book. Whenever i feel bored or feel lonely i wil read an episode from the book and its really helps me in getting back my good mood...!

Me too like the character "Vandhiyatthevan" - hero of the story !!!

And if u get a chance to read the book "Sivagamiyin Sabatham" read it....such a wonderful book....

Warm regards :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I have read PS from my school days.... I would have read some 40-50 times... It is a great novel by Amarar Kalki... Even today, you can enjoy reading that book... One of my close family friend even today has the original printout from the Kalki magazine, where in the drawings were made by Ma.Se....

There is a continuation to PS, written by Vikraman or parthiban... Sorry, I forgot the author name... Title of the Book - Nandhipurathu Nayagi".... Though I enjoyed reading on Vallathu ilavarasan, but the story and dilogues are not as high as PS...

Enjoy reading....:thumbsup

4. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

5. ssubhasr

ssubhasr Silver IL'ite

Dear TDU

Thank you very much for such a wonderful site...!!! :hiya

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Yes,

Like Veda, I too have read PS more than 50 times. I am an avid reader. But if I have finished all my library books, and I didnt get time to go and change my books, I start reading Ponniyin Selvan and only when I finish I go to library to change the books.

My father has the original and first print with Ma.Se's drawings. I started reading PS only from that. And all my holidays in my school days never passed without PS in my hand.

Veda it is Vikraman only. Though my father had talked a lot about the continuation to PS, ie Nandipurathu Nayagi, I have never got a chance to read it till date. Waiting to read it. Of course Veda Kalki is Kalki and noone could match him.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear ssubhasr,

Thanks for your appreciation. Actually bringing Tamil litreature digitally has been made possible by a venture called Madurai. The team of people in that project have done an excellent job. Hats off to them.

Regards,

TDU

8. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi everybody,

ps is my favourite novel. the mysterious character 'nandhini' keeps you intact throughout. i like the character - alwarkadiyan very much, i do not know why. ofcourse the heroes vandiyadevan and arulmozhivarman were really entertaining. thanks to amarar kalki.

regards,

vanaja

9. kalar

kalar Junior IL'ite

Hi everybody

Thanks for all your response. I couldnot post reply as I was out of town. Tell me any other Kalki's stories which is net readable. I would like to see Ma Se's drawings in Ponniyin Selvan. If any one knows any site pl. inform me.

kala

10. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Just had to post a reply to this. PS is one of my all-time favourites. I spent my entire childhood being asked by various people whether I had read it (look at my name for an explanation!) and I finally started out of curiosity to see what the fuss was all about. But then I got hooked and couldnt stop. My Dad is a big fan and we spent one family vacation visiting as many places in the novel as we could. We tracked down a little village Pazhayarai in Tanjavur Dt.. A big old temple (the gopuram is in ruins) still exists there - wonder if that was the site of the Chola capital? Anyway thanks for starting this thread - this is the kind of thing I love about IL!

Vanathi.

PS - Though I did look, I did not marry an Arulmozhi and my son is not Rajendran!

1 person likes this.